Windows 10: Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

Discus and support Windows Update on (non-)metered connection. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JaniN83, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JaniN83 Win User

Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

Hi,

I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to non-metered connection. However, I've noticed two things:

1. Windows Update won't donwload updates before pressing the download button (says that I'm using metered connection and charges may apply).
    2. When starting Outlook 2013, program starts in offline mode for the same reason - metered connection. Always have to press the connect button there to get started.

Is there anyway to get at least the Windows Update to download and install automatically using 4G connection? If not from the Windows settings, maybe using gpedit/regedit?

Thanks.

:)

JaniN83, Aug 21, 2015

2. Cellular Network on Windows 10 pc

Recently I upgraded my pc to Windows 10 pro from Windows 7, and then again updated the version to 1511. I use Huawei data for internet, the connection is cellular, I don't know whether the cellular connection is metered or not and if metered then how do
    I make it non-metered. I want to make the connection non-metered so that I can download UK English Speech, because I am not able to download it the error code is 0x800F0908. There is no option to set the 'Cellular' connection to metered or non-metered in 'Data
    Usage'. It is also said that Windows 10 is not able to download certain updates on metered network.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tejveer Singh Yadav, Aug 21, 2015
  3. Sharing Windows 10 updates on LAN

I have a Surface Laptop that's fully updated through 1709. This update was done on a high-speed non-metered connection. All of the update came from Microsoft servers. I have a second non-laptop system that is at a location with a data-capped satellite internet
    connection. The non-laptop is set as a metered connection. When the Surface is connected to this same LAN, it is also set as a metered connection. Delivery Optimization is set on both systems to allow updates to be shared with other PCs on my LAN. Both systems
    are connected to the LAN via WiFi. The non-laptop shows that 1709 is "available". The Surface shows 1709 as successfully installed.

Should the non-laptop automatically grab the update from the Surface? That's not what is happening. Instead it is stuck at "Downloading updates 0%". As the metered connection is non-metered between midnight and 5am, I got up and flipped the non-laptop to
    non-metered, but is stayed stuck at 0%.

Please advise if there is another setting I need to change to get this to work. My data cap can't endure any more updates.

PaulE_1225, Aug 21, 2015
  4. JaniN83 Win User

Anyone? Is my only option to get wnap or similar 4g router where I can connect the PC by wire to get updates automatically?

JaniN83, Aug 30, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello JaniN83, *Smile

You might see if using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to set group policy to use the "4. Automatically download updates and install them on the schedule specified below" setting.

I'm not sure if this will help though since Windows may always consider a "cellular" connection as metered no matter what you have your network location settings set to.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    It depends on the cost - see Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums *Wink

If you set the 3G and 4G cost to unrestricted it works. Only tested through gpedit.msc but regedit should work too.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection. - Similar Threads - Update non metered

2. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered connection: What can I do when I can't download my Windows Updates because I am on a metered connection. I went to check on my Windows Updates and found a message that said I needed to check if I was on unmetered connection. If not, I may get charged for downloading them. I am on an...
  3. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  4. Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  5. Convert Network to non-metered

Convert Network to non-metered: Convert metered Network to non-metered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-network-to-non-metered/3094623a-bd33-4b9c-a7d0-03d4f5e90d38
  6. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  7. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...
  8. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  9. How to set a connection as non-metered?

How to set a connection as non-metered?: Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve these problems? Thanks,...
  10. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10: How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...