Windows 10: Windows update stuck on a loop

Discus and support Windows update stuck on a loop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I went into windows update. It was already checking for updates. It found a definition update for windows defender kb2267602 but is stuck... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Windows update stuck on a loop

When I went into windows update. It was already checking for updates. It found a definition update for windows defender kb2267602 but is stuck downloading 0%. And just not moving, it's not had a chance to find todays cumulative updates yet! But the concerning thing is the screen (and only the update windows keeps flickering), ie. the downloading 0% keeps moving up and down and nothing is happening. What should I do?

I tried restarting the whole machine but it didn't work. When I return to the update screen it starts doing it again. It's like it's stuck in some horrible loop

The screen keeps flicking between these two shots every couple secs
    Windows update stuck on a loop [​IMG]

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 7, 2016

2. Windows Update Is Stuck On a Loop

Since December 12th, windows update is stuck in a loop which is trying to download again and again the same update (KB4054517). I get the message to restart but when the laptop boots back up, I get a message that says that some
    updates were not successful. Digging to the WindowsUpdate.log that I pulled with the Get-WindowsUpdate.log powershell command, I noticed that it does install the package but it's like it forgets that it has installed it and as a result, when it rechecks for
    updates, it "finds" that the update (KB4054517) is not installed (which is already installed) and asks me to restart in order to install it. But this goes on and on. It's stuck in a loop. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to re install windows....

Johnsm199K, Nov 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Update - stuck in loop

windows 10 update stuck in never ending loop trying to update and then tries to undo and just constantly freezing in this loop.

How do I get out of this loop and resolve the issue please?

Thankyou!

SimonHuntRGA, Nov 7, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

Windows update stuck on a loop

The same thing happened to me earlier today. I manually updated Windows Defender and was able to get definition 1.231.1486 installed. I rebooted the lappy and that seemed to unlock or unfreeze today's other updates. They were able to install without further issue. If you already tried to manually update Defender I apologize for wasting your time.

marsmimar, Nov 7, 2016
  5. Thank you, I thought of the same but after manual install I didn't restart and saw no longer flickering but stuck on downloading updates with no other info at 0 percent. So I reset windows update using brinks batch in the tutorial. Another restart and things seemed to return to normal. So annoyed by the stress and MS and that dodgy defender update!

Scottyboy99, Nov 7, 2016
  6. marsmimar Win User
    If I had to name only one aggravating thing about Windows 10, it would have to be how Microsoft chooses to deliver updates. *Sad

marsmimar, Nov 7, 2016
  7. I agree, all seems ok now but MS method of forced updates doesn't sit well.

Scottyboy99, Nov 7, 2016
  8. miken707 Win User

I have the same problem. My laptop has been stuck downloading the cumulative update for 1607 (KB3200970 and 3797954). It has been at 9% for hours, including a shutdown and restart.

miken707, Nov 9, 2016
  9. You could try resetting windows update. Brink has a tutorial which I used the batch file to get out of my predicament. Or try disconnecting the machine from the internet which may reset things and then re connect and try again

Scottyboy99, Nov 9, 2016
  10. marsmimar Win User
    Here's a link to the tutorial Scotty mentioned:

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

marsmimar, Nov 9, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    You can also try switching to Windows Update MiniTool (WUMT) instead. It works like a champ, usually grabs updates from Microsoft faster than Native Windows Update, handles device drivers, and lets you decide exactly which updates you want whenever you want them. I've been using it daily for 2 months now on half-a-dozen Win10 PCs (including tablets, laptops, and desktops) and it works quite well indeed.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 10, 2016
  12. marsmimar Win User
    Just ran the WUMT and it seems to do exactly as advertised with no issues. Thanks for sharing that info, Ed.

marsmimar, Nov 10, 2016
  13. miken707 Win User

Part of the problem was a broken network connection. It finally finished, but in total took about 8 hours!

miken707, Nov 10, 2016
  14. marsmimar Win User
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out. *Thumbs

marsmimar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update stuck on a loop - Similar Threads - update stuck loop

2. Windows stuck in a corrupted update loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stuck in a corrupted update loop: Hello,I recently updated my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After that, I tried to update to Windows 11. When I came back to my PC and booted it, it would not boot properly. It then began to behave strangely. It kept saying that it was updating, but it seemed to be stuck in...
  3. Windows stuck in a corrupted update loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows stuck in a corrupted update loop: Hello,I recently updated my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After that, I tried to update to Windows 11. When I came back to my PC and booted it, it would not boot properly. It then began to behave strangely. It kept saying that it was updating, but it seemed to be stuck in...
  4. Windows Update Stuck in a loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Stuck in a loop: My Windows system constantly tries to update to the newest version of Windows, but fails to do so. However, the problem is that Windows constantly tries to update to it, almost happening daily when booting my PC. Is there any way to fix this update or just stop Windows trying...
  5. Windows Update Stuck in a loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update Stuck in a loop: My Windows system constantly tries to update to the newest version of Windows, but fails to do so. However, the problem is that Windows constantly tries to update to it, almost happening daily when booting my PC. Is there any way to fix this update or just stop Windows trying...
  6. Windows Update Stuck in a loop

7. Windows checking for updates stuck in a loop.

Windows checking for updates stuck in a loop.: I've been trying to update to the newest version of windows(version 1903). Whenever I click check for updates it loads for a couple of seconds and then it shows the same red text that said there are pending updates. I checked the update history and the last few times it tried...
  8. Windows 10 update stuck in a loop

Windows 10 update stuck in a loop: Turned my laptop on today and got the "Hi we have some updates for your PC" and now it is stuck doing that screen... this might take several minutes. Well it has been doing this for about 2 hours. How do I get to my desktop? And what steps do I need to take to see if the...
  9. Stuck in update loop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stuck in update loop: After 34 years and thousands of dollars spent on Microsoft and related products I am pricing Macs now unless I can solve this. I am running Windows 10 Home version 1709. This was a free upgrade from Windows 7. This upgrade was over two years ago. I will not go into previous...
  10. Stuck on update loop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stuck on update loop: I am not sure where else to post this I am having a huge problem for a while now with my windows 10 desktop it will go into update mode but about half the update it says "we couldnt complete the updates undoing changes" and restarts my pc, it does this in an infinite loop and...