Windows 10: Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

Discus and support Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; with gpedit.msc Code: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization Max Upload Bandwidth = 0 Lets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jamonbread22, Sep 29, 2017.

1. D4ni3l Win User

Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

with gpedit.msc

Code: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization Max Upload Bandwidth = 0 Lets you specify the maximum upload bandwidth (in KB/second) that a device uses across all concurrent upload activity. The default value is 0, which means unlimited possible bandwidth. Maximum Download Bandwidth = 0 Specifies the maximum download bandwidth in KiloBytes/second that the device can use across all concurrent download activities using Delivery Optimization. The default value 0 (zero) means that Delivery Optimization dynamically adjusts to use the available bandwidth for downloads.[/quote] I will set it to half of my max upload/download capability

wait & see

D4ni3l, Sep 29, 2017

2. Wont disabling active hours just mean that windows will reboot itself after an update, as opposed to the active hours when enabled preventing an auto reboot?
    I can't see anything in the guide you linked about notification of updates?

jamonbread22, Sep 30, 2017
  3. I'm using eithernet. But the guide also mentions
    "starting with Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, Windows Update will now also automatically download on a metered connection only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

jamonbread22, Sep 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Well, set as metered is now part of network options in Settings. but unfortunately I have no idea which updates (and how many of them) are for running smoothly.

Edit: Take a look at complete tutorial for deferring Automatic updates dalchina linked *Smile

AndreTen, Sep 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Using Notify is much easier- it gives you a straightforward indication there's something pending, and you can see what it is before you start downloading.

Using metered connections won't give you any notification or indication as to what it is- you'd have to enable it and see if anything happens.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Agree. This is why I pointed out your solution. Sorry, you posted while I was typing. Would be better perhaps to delete post, but this way both solutions are here.

AndreTen, Sep 30, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

So far I haven't seen a single update that has been downloaded over a metered connection. Defender definitions certainly don't, and as far as cumulative updates at concerned, I have had to turn off metered connections before any of them would download.

I'm not sure what Microsoft intend to use this for (there appears to be no official documentation I can find). Perhaps it's for seriously important security updates, but none appear to have qualified as that (yet). Either that or it's broken and updates that do qualify aren't being downloaded.

9. jamonbread22, Oct 1, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...indows-updates
    - well, it would be interesting to check that. Usually with Home using the registry is the way lacking the group policy editor.

That says:

Using Windows Registry
    If you are running Windows 10 Home, Run regedit and navigate to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsCreate a new key under Windows key and set its name as WindowsUpdate. Next, create another key under it and name it AU.
    Now under this path, in the right pane, create a new DWORD AUOptions:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUSet its value to 2. The following options are available

• 2 – To notify for download and notify for install
    • 3 – To auto download and notify for install
    • 4 – To auto download and schedule the install
    • 5 – To allow local admin to choose setting

Winaero says the same:
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disa...indows-10-rtm/

If your Windows 10 comes without the Group Policy editor, apply a Registry tweak. Open Registry Editor and go to the following registry key (create it if you don't have it already):HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUThere, create a new 32-bit DWORD value named "AUOptions" and set it to 2:

I'd be surprised if Brink got it wrong though..

I don't have Home so can't check - perhaps you can... Noted- thanks.

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  11. D4ni3l Win User
    <Win+R> GPEDIT.MSC (as admin)

Code: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization Max Upload Bandwidth / Enabled / 40 Maximum Download Bandwidth / Enabled / 800 Download mode / Enabled / LAN (1)[/quote] the value of 40 KB/sec and 800 KB/sec are half of my max internet bandwidth

no more complaints from the others users at home *chuckle

D4ni3l, Oct 4, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    Wait less than two weeks, upgrade to 1709 and you can now restrict bandwidth used for updates.

cereberus, Oct 4, 2017
  13. Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

the value of 40 KB/sec and 800 KB/sec are half of my max internet bandwidth

no more complaints from the others users at home *chuckle[/quote] I'm running home edition, so I have no group policy editor in this edition of Win10.

jamonbread22, Oct 5, 2017
  14. This doesn't appear to have have any effect at all. Update is still behaving the same way as before.

jamonbread22, Oct 5, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    A useful reference in this case is Microsoft's Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server, an Excel spreadsheet that lists all available policies for GPEDIT, what registry keys they use, and what the settings should be.

The ones for Delivery Optimization bandwidth are apparently DOMaxUploadBandwidth and DOMaxDownloadBandwidth in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization

There's also one to limit bandwidth as a percentage of the available bandwidth.

Note: setting a registry key in Home that is normally only created/used by GPEDIT may lead to a red 'some settings are managed by your organisation' message appearing (and in some cases can grey out some options) on the relevant page in the Settings app. If you make such a registry change, keep a record of what you did - you may want to undo it later to get rid of the 'organisation..' warnings and/or re-enable an option.

Thema:

1. Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates - Similar Threads - update using available

2. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth: For weeks now my internet connection has been struggling causing significant internet related problems all around the home. I've finally pinned it down to Windows Update on my Windows 10 Dell Workstation.The PC has all the latest updates installed, I have Paused updates,...
  3. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth: For weeks now my internet connection has been struggling causing significant internet related problems all around the home. I've finally pinned it down to Windows Update on my Windows 10 Dell Workstation.The PC has all the latest updates installed, I have Paused updates,...
  4. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  6. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  7. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Updates paused - svchost.exe still using all my bandwidth!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates paused - svchost.exe still using all my bandwidth!: I have limited bandwidth, usually around 170kB/s on a good day, so I pause updates during the day and restart them at night. I also have background and foreground downloads throttled to only use 5% of the available bandwidth. Regardless of those settings, Windows is still...
  9. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth: Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7...
  10. Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth: Hi all,Whenever windows downloads updates, it always uses the entire internet bandwidth. Due to this, I can't even check emails ,even antivirus can't download updates and it takes many hours before I can finally use the PC. I find this a big pain that I can't even do basic...