Windows 10: Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

Discus and support Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've already changed my update settings to disable Windows 10 P2P updates because my upload is less than a 1MB, but every time I get a Windows update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jamonbread22, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

I've already changed my update settings to disable Windows 10 P2P updates because my upload is less than a 1MB, but every time I get a Windows update for my system it steals all of my limited 4.1MB download bandwidth.

Its becoming really frustrating because whatever I'm doing at the time online becomes almost impossible. Videos on YouTube will grind to a halt, or at best become sub 240p with constant buffering issues pausing the video every 10/20 seconds.

Every other version of Windows I've used (every version since XP) has never behaved like this before, and other software that updates in the background will adapt taking into consideration what the user is currently doing. Its become so annoying that I've been opening task manger and ending Windows update processes, but even than is persistently restarts the update process again.

If I had decent internet speeds this probably wouldn't be an issues for me.

:)

jamonbread22, Sep 29, 2017
  2. Ar Rom Win User

Windows 10 Update & Security is missing from settings

Hi,

Using the P2P option allows you to share a Windows update to all computers on our local network. The setting to not allow Windows to use your bandwidth for P2P Windows updates is still available in Update & Security. Go to Advanced options then Delivery Optimization.

Feel free to post back if you have other Windows concerns.

Ar Rom, Sep 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Store and windows update problem. Getting error code " (0x80070422) while downloading the apps from Store.

Original Title: Windows 10 Store and windows update problem

I have disabled windows update service from 'services.msc' because keeping it enabled/running makes it impossible to use internet because a service named 'Service host: Local System' takes up all of my 2Mbps bandwidth. I can't use anything regarding internet
    if windows update is not disabled. I have disabled p2p update sharing and all other tricks I can possibly find on the internet to lower the bandwidth usage but nothing helped even a little bit except to disable the windows update service altogether.

The problem is that if windows update service is disabled, Windows Store refuses to work properly! Sometimes it closes automatically, sometimes the search box won't take any input and sometimes it just doesn't download anything. It shows an error (0x80070422).

If I keep windows update enabled then the store starts working fine again. But if I disable windows update then the problems happen again.

Is there any way to make the windows store work without running the windows update service? Or are there any possible way to solve the crazy bandwidth issue? (I have tried every possible thing that can be found on google search. Nothing helps even a little
    bit to solve the bandwidth problem)

What should I do in this situation?

My windows version is 1511(Os Build 10586.420)

FahimMohiuddin, Sep 29, 2017
  4. D4ni3l Win User

Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates

hello
    same problem here, i did not find a solution.

D4ni3l, Sep 29, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you can choose when Windows downloads updates by setting Windows update to Notify - that means you get an action centre notification, and when you click on that, Settings opens and you see what the update is. You can chose to download it at your convenience.

I have posted about this a number of times - it's available to Home and Pro although the latter has more control via the group policy editor.

How? By any of these methods:
    a. Using Winaero's free tweaker (convenient)
    b. If you have Win 10 Pro using the Group Policy editor - see the tutorial
    c. If you have Home - by using a registry edit or reg file - see the tutorial

Tutorial: (includes Notify)
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

Either Option 1, 4 or Option 2 4

And finally if you have Pro you can set Defer Feature Updates
    - which means you can delay major build upgrades.

There are further time delays available via the group Policy Editor (Pro).

==============================================
    Other updates:
    Note that Settings allows you to select which apps update data in the background; there's also a 4 hourly scheduled task run to update the universal apps.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
  7. Thank you for the suggestions. I found this potential solution that involves editing the registry to enable and limit maximum bandwidth for Window bits?

How To: Stop Windows windows update from using all your bandwidth - Thomas Barthelemy

Windows update has been going on all day, since this morning, and if I don't keep killing the processes my internet is basically unusable. This is such a stupid over site by MS, although I find it hard to believe this is an over site. I shouldn't have to select different hours for updates, and when I'm not using my desktop PC its booted down anyway. I'm kinda missing windows 8 now but my win8 activation key is probably useless by now.

8. dalchina New Member

I've never noticed a problem with it myself, and the final drop to my house is a copper telephone wire. 37Mb/s down, 9Mb/s up. TalkTalk £25 /mth (currently including almost all calls, line rental and a mobile allowance) - using ethernet.

There are some big updates- 3Gb+ for build upgrades, then often a similar sized one following that.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  9. I'm in the UK and speed without updating to optical isn't great 4.1MB/0.7MB
    I just set the update times between 5am-6am as a temporary measure, and it still keeps updating itself? This version of windows really doesn't care about giving its users a somewhat false sense that they're in control of their own operating system.

10. jamonbread22, Sep 29, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    How did you do that? Enable/disable the update service on a schedule? A firewall?

If you mean Active Hours - that just means your PC won't restart during that period- but it will download and certainly install updates which don't need a restart.

Note this extra level of control coming in the future (insider builds at present):
    Limit Bandwidth of Windows Update and Store App Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  12. Your right, I changed the active hours without really paying attention, which of course will not stop the update process.

I'm just really frustrated at the moment because other people are also using the home connection, and when I boot up my desktop it immediately starts updating, using all the bandwidth, and stopping everyone else from using the internet. My only access to the web right now is my win10 PC, so to use the web I have to keep stopping the update process all the time. It's a ridiculous situation to be in, and its been going on since this morning.

13. dalchina New Member

Set updates to notify as I suggested. #3

Note that manual links to each update are given in a thread per update in the News section if that helps for large updates e.g. at all.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  14. D4ni3l Win User
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization] "ClientTelId"=dword:00017904 "UploadLimitState"=dword:00000000 "UploadLimitMonthID"=dword:00000009[/quote] In Windows 1703, I wonder what we can do with this...

D4ni3l, Sep 29, 2017
  15. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Sep 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows update using all available bandwidth. Disabled the p2p updates - Similar Threads - update using available

2. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth: For weeks now my internet connection has been struggling causing significant internet related problems all around the home. I've finally pinned it down to Windows Update on my Windows 10 Dell Workstation.The PC has all the latest updates installed, I have Paused updates,...
  3. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth: For weeks now my internet connection has been struggling causing significant internet related problems all around the home. I've finally pinned it down to Windows Update on my Windows 10 Dell Workstation.The PC has all the latest updates installed, I have Paused updates,...
  4. Windows Update constantly using all internet bandwidth

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  6. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable: Hi, delivery optimization is using all of my bandwidth, when I look under task manager it is under the process Service Host: Network Service, expanding this shows that it is delivery optimization using the bandwidth. I tried ending the task, but it restarts itself after a few...
  7. Delivery optimization using all bandwidth, won't disable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Updates paused - svchost.exe still using all my bandwidth!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates paused - svchost.exe still using all my bandwidth!: I have limited bandwidth, usually around 170kB/s on a good day, so I pause updates during the day and restart them at night. I also have background and foreground downloads throttled to only use 5% of the available bandwidth. Regardless of those settings, Windows is still...
  9. Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Restricting Windows Updates bandwidth: Hi All I've just started migrating users to Windows 10 (from 7). With Windows 7 we used a BITS Group Policy that limited the bandwidth Windows Updates used during the day to 1kb so that the WAN links don't max out (they're only 10mb). This has worked fine for the Windows 7...
  10. Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update download uses entire bandwidth: Hi all,Whenever windows downloads updates, it always uses the entire internet bandwidth. Due to this, I can't even check emails ,even antivirus can't download updates and it takes many hours before I can finally use the PC. I find this a big pain that I can't even do basic...