Windows 10: Windows updates even with metered conection set

Discus and support Windows updates even with metered conection set in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Aug 8, 2018.

1. rivre Win User

Windows updates even with metered conection set

I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost

to a value of 2. That prevented Windows from downloading updates unless I check manually.

Since last month that's changed. Now it downloads and installs anyways. I was just in the middle of a backup this afternoon and Windows decided to download updates and run the malicious software removal tool and cumulative updates for July. I don't want that hard disk activity happening at the same time I am doing things like encoding or backups. I always wait a few weeks after each update is released before I manually update, to be sure I don't hear about any major issues with the newest updates.

So now how can I avoid this happening? I am furious with Microsoft for forcing updates on me. At least there used to be a way around it. Now even that doesn't seem to work, since it's updated twice now even though metered connection is set to 2 in the registry.

:)

rivre, Aug 8, 2018

2. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10  

I found that after selecting wifi it shows a list of available connections and under need to select advanced settings and the metered selection is located their. and is not as the above tutorial.

peter prewett, Aug 8, 2018
  3. EdTittel Win User
    Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Please permit me to respectfully disagree, battlezone. Not only is it possible to do this, TenForums offers a tutorial that explains exactly how, step-by-step: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10. Do please check it out, won't you?
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 8, 2018
  4. Windows updates even with metered conection set

Set Metered Connection not an option

Hi,

You may try the steps below and check.

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet
      > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection
    Hope this helps.

Joy Kemprai, Aug 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows updates even with metered conection set

1. Windows updates even with metered conection set - Similar Threads - updates metered conection

2. I'm on a metered internet connection, with corresponding Windows settings, but updates are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm on a metered internet connection, with corresponding Windows settings, but updates are...: I have a PC running Windows 10, with "metered connection" selected in the internet settings, and I have "download updates over a metered connection" turned off. But updates are getting downloaded and installed anyway.It has worked as designed for several years until the past...
  3. Unable to set connection as "metered"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to set connection as "metered": Problem: I connect to a WiFi network, then I open connection settings and set the connection to metered. When I go back to connection settings, the metered connection toggle switch is in "off state". The problem isn't specific to a connection, I've tried on multiple...
  4. Windows updating even after updates off and network set to metered connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows updating even after updates off and network set to metered connection: I saw in my update history that Windows has been updating itself even when I've switched off automatic updates and have set my connection as a metered connection. Though it doesn't reboot automatically but downloads them over the settings. Why is that happening?...
  5. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi: I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered. In particular, on 27/07 the system downloaded KB4565483 while I was connected to my cellphone hotspot clearly marked `metered` since long ago. It incurred me the...
  6. Windows 10 Metered Connection settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Metered Connection settings: 1. Metered Connection is Enabled / Disabled individually per WiFi or Ethernet network through Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi (left panel) > WiFi adapters connected to the PC appears on the right panel > Under WiFi adapter (ON) > Manage known networks > click on the WiFi...
  7. Windows updates even with metered connection set

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows updates even with metered connection set: I've been able previously to avoid Windows forced updates at inopportune times on my Windows 10 home by setting my internet connection to metered, by setting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost to a value of 2. That...
  8. metered updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...
  9. set metered connection is not activate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set metered connection is not activate: hi i am trying to active set metered connection in my setting , when i active it and leave setting and return it switched to OFF again i tried this way " netsh wlan set profileparameter name=dlink_DWR-932_6789 cost=fixed " and it shows " Profile "dlink_DWR-932_6789"...
  10. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10: How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections...