Windows 10: Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time

Discus and support Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is an intricate thing to try to describe so here goes. I have 2 Toshiba external hard drives no model number (I assume they are identical).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by beovertherenow, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time

This is an intricate thing to try to describe so here goes. I have 2 Toshiba external hard drives no model number (I assume they are identical). Plugged in one to USB and it was immediately recognized and assigned H drive. Plugged the other into another USB and this one is not recognized at all in the window This PC/Devices and Drives. Same thing if I try all other 5 USB inputs on CPU. The first one stays recognized throughout and all content is accessible. If I unplug the first one and then plug in the second one, the second one is immediately recognized and assigned the H and all content is accessible. Try adding the first one back in, both plugged in at same time, same problem no dice. I leave them both plugged in and I go to control panel/devices and printers. It shows icons for the two external usb 3.0 devices connected. If I right/click on the icons and choose browse files for each it shows exactly the same content (content from whichever device was first device connected). So it appears while it is at some level sensing two devices, when I try to access from the devices and printers window it's treating the two icons as the same device. I also have a Seagate external hard drive. If I plug the Seagate to USB and one of the Toshiba to another USB, they are both recognized and assigned G and H and all content is accessible. So Windows thinking two drives are the same one, is this fixable? I tried renaming one drive (right click/rename in This PC) but it didn't fix it. Also would anyone know were I to buy an external hub and have all three of the external HD thus coming in through one USB slot, if this would fix or get around the problem. thanks for any help

:)

beovertherenow, Mar 2, 2018

2. External Hard Drive and Windows 10

You can corrupt an ext hd doing that. I already did that and had to use a recovery product to get my info on the ext hd. Now I can't get win 10 to recognize my new ext hd. The pc is a HP and I heard they have something inside that deliberitly doesn't
    recognize ext hds. Why, I wish I knew. There is a good video on utube that might help. I can't find my files, or I would have my ext hd opened by now. Try utube ones, let us know if you have success or if you don't. Trish

TrisheBear, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Cannot see or access external hard drive after installing Windows 10

Try this: Have PC off totally. Connect ext HD. Boot up. Ext HD should be recognized. If not, keep everything connected, but do a restart. Don't turn off PC, just do restart with ext hd connected. Try different ports if one doesn't work. But start
    with PC off, then connect to port & boot up. Trish

TrisheBear, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time

Welcome to TenForums @beovertherenow

As it happens, I have two identical Toshiba external HDDs I can test this with.

I have successfully recreated your problem by turning off automount. Automount automatically assigns drive letter to volumes that are added to the system, so your two identical drives would each get different letters when plugged in.

When automount is off the drive letter used is whatever you first gave it. Both your Toshibas were originally assigned H: and (obviously) you can't have two H: drives at the same time. So when both are plugged in only the first to be plugged in can be seen. Your Seagate has a different letter (G) so that explains why you can see two drive if one is the Seagate.

To turn on automount, open a command prompt (admin) and type DISKPART

At the DISKPART> prompt, type AUTOMOUNT ENABLE

You can now close the command prompt and try your two HDDs. The first will get H: as usual, the second will get another drive letter.

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  5. Hi I tried your suggestion a couple of times making sure I was using admin command prompt but it didn't work. it's still not assigning the new letter name when the second Toshiba drive is added to USB input. also tried uninstalling both devices from the device manager and then restarting and then hooking them up again, but it was the same deal, added the H drive, then either nothing or replaced the H drive. I was really hoping it might be as easy as you stated, if you have any other ideas thanks for your help

6. Bree New Member
    Well, it was easy to create the same type of problem for myself, and to undo it after testing.

Plug in both the Toshiba drives. Open Disk Management and post a screenshot, that may help diagnose the problem.

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

It's late here, I'll have a look at it in the morning (in my time zone, that is).

Another suggestion - can you try both drives at the same time in another PC? Do they both show up, or only the first one? That would point to it being something about the drives themselves. I have an idea on that, but it's only worth trying if we can confirm it's the drives causing the problem, not the PC.

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  7. I have family in UK so I figured you were either up late or up early. I just happened across a post about disk management so I went there and it showed the disk offline because of signature collision. I force changed the drive letter on the online one to "I" then plugged them both back in. This time they both came up as "I" instead of "H" with one of them still showing up offline when they were both plugged in. I tried it again making sure only one was plugged in changing it back to "H" then plugging in the second one hoping it would stay at "I" but no go. So now they are both showing up as "H" again when deviced and one still offline in disk management. What do you think about emptying one drive and reformatting it or something and try reintroducing it as a "fresh" drive. Here is the screenshot

Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time [​IMG]

8. Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time

I realized I probably should have included a more complete screenshot of the DM box. Here it is

Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time [​IMG]

9. Bree New Member
    Your Disk 3 is shown as Offline, with no name or drive letter.

When I turn off Automount I too see no name/letter in Disk Management, but the 'missing' drive is still Online.

With all the drives plugged in as they were for the Disk Management screenshot, run diskpart again.

Type the sequence of commands...

SELECT DISK 2
    UNIQUEID DISK
    SELECT DISK 3
    UNIQUEID DISK

...and post the results.

and yes, I'm up late - this time I'm really going to bed *Smile - I'll look at the result (very late) morning.

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    I suspect both have the same ID, hence the signature clash. If so, the ID can be changed for one of the disks to avoid the clash, no need to reformat and no data need be lost.

In diskpart, type HELP UNIQUEID DISK for instructions.

Night night, see you tomorrow...

11. thanks for all your help I solved it another (and luckily easier) way by searching for forums on signature collision. So long as you're sure you're not messing with the OS drive you can hover the cursor over the Disc 3 box where it has the little red warning thing until you can get a right click selection that includes ONLINE. Clicked ONLINE the computer churned around a little bit and then assigned the offline drive a new letter and put it online so now I have access to all three external drives at once. Restarted and reconnected everything to make sure it worked. Again thanks for all your help especially pointing me in the right direction

(this solution found here look for final post by MathewsRL http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ve-online.html)

12. Bree New Member
    For the definitive explanation of signature clashes see this TechNet article by the legendary Mark Russinovich.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...re-collisions/

You'll see at the end of the article he uses 'diskpart uniqueid' to set the signature, so we were working towards the same end after all.

Glad it's all sorted for you now.
    *Thumbs

13. jumanji Win User

beovertherenow : "....... (this solution found here look for final post by MathewsRL http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ve-online.html)"

Just saw this thread and that brought my old memories, my 08 Oct 2014 post#3 here Unable to change external drive letter Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

wrote :"This is a very common problem encountered by those who buy two or more identical drives of the same manufacturer at the same time..

Windows identifies a drive by a Unique ID in sector 0. When two drives have the same Unique ID as it may happen in these cases, Windows will identify only one drive and the other drive will be "offline" due to "Signature collision"

And you bring the other drive "online" as you did, Windows assigns a different Unique ID to that drive and thereafter that drive becomes accessible to take a different drive letter."

This solution of toggling offline to online to overcome the signature collision originally came from Win7Survivor in his 2010 post Windows 7 does not detect multiple External Hard Drives - Microsoft Community and picked up by many. Me too was one heck of a picker *Biggrin .

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows10 not recognizing 2 Toshiba ext HD at same time - Similar Threads - Windows10 recognizing Toshiba

2. Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing: I bought a WD Elements Portable model number WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN. It keeps disappearing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I tried these suggestions: Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Working/Recognized/Showing UP Error – EaseUS I also changed the drive letter. But it...
  3. 2 games on 2 pcs at the same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 games on 2 pcs at the same time: I have one Microsoft account, can my son play Minecrat on pc at the same time my other son plays call of duty on a different pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-games-on-2-pcs-at-the-same-time/d64e1846-ca66-4756-9f55-7eb3e2b4cf1a
  4. Toshiba L50 windows10 crashed

Toshiba L50 windows10 crashed: Tried recovery by running chkdsk c: /r /x This failed after stage 4 with error 75736e6a726e6c2e 4fa Then ran sfc /scannow This also failed after stage 4 with same error....
  5. Windows10 SSD+HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows10 SSD+HD: Nemrég sikeresen migráltam cca 800 GB-os HD partícióról egy 120 GB-os SSD-re a 18363.535-ös Windows 10-et és szerencsésen sikerült az aktiválása is. Az SSD eléggé megtelt a feltelepített programok miatt, ezért szeretném a régi merevlemez egyik partíciójára vissza migrálni az...
  6. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts: It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the two partitions into one. I went into DiscManagement and deleted each partition. I expected to mount it again as a single 2...
  7. Help with 2 installations of Windows10 on the same Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with 2 installations of Windows10 on the same Laptop: My situation is that my Laptop has 2 Drives and I'm using it for both (Work + Personal use) so i'd like to keep 2 separate environment for each use, so I'm trying to have 2 instances/installations of Windows 10; one on each drive, Drive#1: 250GB NVMe SSD - Formatted as 1...
  8. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  9. computer stops recognizing 2 ext HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer stops recognizing 2 ext HDD: I use a 7 year old HP Pavillion desk top and so far it has worked well. I have USB connected 2 ext HDD. One is basic storage and the other is my ext backup HDD. If I try to open a file in either of them, my computer stops recognizing both the ext HDDs causing a major problem...
  10. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...