Windows 10: Wrong Icon for WiFi connection

Discus and support Wrong Icon for WiFi connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 has been working just fine for me since I upgraded my Lenovo laptop from Windows 7 to Window 10 last year. It automatically connects me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rhodyrich, Mar 26, 2016.

1. rhodyrich Win User

Wrong Icon for WiFi connection

Windows 10 has been working just fine for me since I upgraded my Lenovo laptop from Windows 7 to Window 10 last year. It automatically connects me to my home network when I start Windows. Until just a few days ago the icon in the system tray was the normal icon for a network connection. A few days ago the icon change to the icon for the airplane mode even though I am not in airplane mode. My WiFi connection is working as it always has but the icon is wrong. Turning airplane mode on and off does not solve the problem.

What do you recommend?

:)

rhodyrich, Mar 26, 2016
  2. MosesTim Win User

How to get back the wifi connection icon on E71

Hi, my phone is getting something wrong now!!! Suddenly my wifi connection icon is gone and now I can connect to my house wifi anymore. Can anyone help me to solve this problem ? Thanks Wrong Icon for WiFi connection :)

MosesTim, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Laptop won't show list of available networks

Usually when one would click the wifi signal icon in the bottom right of the screen, a box with a list of available networks will appear. However, when I click on the icon the box appears without any networks or information listed, then automatically closes
    after a short second. Other times the box will not show up at all, with only the loading icon appearing next to the cursor for a split second. Anyone know a fix? I am still able to connect to wifi because I have set it to automatically connect to my home wifi,
    so there is nothing wrong with the wifi adapter, and am guessing maybe it is a problem with windows or a stopped service.

aaroncheng, Mar 26, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I don't know about Windows 10,. however Windows 7's icons can be changed via: right-click on icon, properties, change icon; however, you have to change the "master icon" wherever it is on the hard-drive, I think the next restart will give you what you want in the notification tray.

RolandJS, Mar 26, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    No guarantees.
    Do a system restore. Pick a date when you had the normal WiFi icon as your restore point.

System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Mar 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    That does nothing for the OP.

bro67, Mar 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    A screenshot of what you see speaks volumes. you

bro67, Mar 27, 2016
  8. rhodyrich Win User

I have restarted several times. No change.

rhodyrich, Mar 27, 2016
  9. rhodyrich Win User
    Wrong Icon for WiFi connection [​IMG]

Here is the screenshot. Wifi is working just fine but the icon in the tray is the airplane icon.

rhodyrich, Mar 27, 2016
  10. rhodyrich Win User
    Restored the system to the date just before the last Windows update on March 23. The icon is now restored. The airplane icon is gone. Here is a new screenshot.

The question in my mind now is when Windows reapplies the update will the problem return. Until that update is applied I cannot say that this problem has actually been resolved. I'll reply again after Windows applies the update and either mark this problem as solved or give a status update with a request for additional help.

rhodyrich, Mar 27, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Yes. We'll see what will happen when the updates are reapplied.
    Bear in mind that the update(s) may not be the culprit after all. It could just be a coincidence.

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  12. rhodyrich Win User
    Had Windows search for updates and applied all. Icon is still good. I'm going to mark this as solved even though I do not actually know what caused the problem or what fixed the problem. Hopefully it will stay solved.

rhodyrich, Mar 27, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

Speculation as to what causes the problem:
    Change of a setting.
    Result of a registry tweak.
    3rd party program download.
    Who knows.

Anyway, glad you have the WiFi icon back.

davidhk, Mar 27, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    That is what I am thinking. Something tripped the IRQ for the WiFi adapter, or a Service got screwed up. I would have rather had them remove device and driver, then see what happens when 10 reinstalls. Also we all know if there is any third party software running Wireless Zero, Bluetooth driver issue, the Airplane mode can show, but still like the OP stated, networking is still running.

bro67, Mar 28, 2016
  15. fvreeman Win User
    I have the same problem. Airplane Icon and popup say disconnected but I turned mode off and have full connectivity.
    I'll try an update.

fvreeman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Wrong Icon for WiFi connection - Similar Threads - Wrong Icon WiFi

2. WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi: Device: Lenovo Idea pad 3I've suddenly had an issue where my WiFi icon has disappeared and I can't connect to anything. I've tried network reset countless times and nothing appears, I've restarted my laptop and even tried restoring to the last save program. The Intel WiFi 6 A...
  3. WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi: Device: Lenovo Idea pad 3I've suddenly had an issue where my WiFi icon has disappeared and I can't connect to anything. I've tried network reset countless times and nothing appears, I've restarted my laptop and even tried restoring to the last save program. The Intel WiFi 6 A...
  4. Wifi is Connected But Icon says not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi is Connected But Icon says not connected: I am currently running Windows 10. Recently I noticed a change where my wifi icon says it is not connected But I can access the internet just fine and everything works. I dont know why it shows like this. I have not made any changes to my system that would cause this shift....
  5. Wifi is Connected But Icon says not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi is Connected But Icon says not connected: I am currently running Windows 10. Recently I noticed a change where my wifi icon says it is not connected But I can access the internet just fine and everything works. I dont know why it shows like this. I have not made any changes to my system that would cause this shift....
  6. Wifi is Connected But Icon says not connected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi Icons wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wifi Icons wrong: Dear all, how to fix this wrong wifi icons? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-icons-wrong/4a3594bb-c885-406f-8c6c-caca3e86e9bb
  8. Wifi globe icon, no connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi globe icon, no connection: I have a hp omen gaming laptop with windows 10 on it and when i try to connect with my wifi it says no connection available. The internet icon is a globe with a circle and a stripe through it. I tried to reinstall the driver and i renewed the ip adres but nothing worked so...
  9. Change WiFi icon for "not connected"

Change WiFi icon for "not connected": I am agitated by the globe-like icon in windows 10 version 1903 when not connected to the internet. is there possibility to change it? it's irritating https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-wifi-icon-for-not-connected/328e3ac2-1072-4a99-a645-2b9d1663139c
  10. Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet

Wifi Devices connecting to the wrong subnet: I just installed a Dlink DIR-890L and it is setup to assign devices to the range 192.168.1.1 to .254 [img] However, it seems that when most of my devices connect they are ending up with an IP address that is 192.168.0.something. This is causing the device to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wifi icon is incorect