Windows 10: "You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve

Discus and support "You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Running Windows 10, I recently started receiving this notification every few minutes: "You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" ...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Progatron, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Progatron Win User

"You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve

Running Windows 10, I recently started receiving this notification every few minutes:

"You are running out of disk space on local drive J:"

... but when I click on it to free up space, it says I can free up 0 bytes. This is not my main hard drive, which has over 1 TB of available space. I'm not sure why I'm getting this message suddenly (and so frequently!) ... any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

:)

Progatron, Sep 9, 2017
  2. PeterG115 Win User

Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Glad you found the information helpful Mike. We both saved money and time.

PeterG115, Sep 9, 2017
  3. Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Hello Mike,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10. I understand you are receiving Low disk space popup message.

Thanks for providing the screenshots and details about the issue.

Recovery drive is to store all the files needed to do an emergency recovery when the system becomes unstable like to do a system restore.

The Recovery drive is actually a partition on the main hard drive in your computer - not an actual, physical drive. It has much less available space than Drive (C"You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve :).

You may please refer to the below article about a similar issue and check if it helps.

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8)

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8) | HP® Customer Support

(The Steps given for Windows 8 in the above link also applies to Windows 10).

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 9, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Hard to offer advice when you have not told us what you are using drive J: for.

NavyLCDR, Sep 9, 2017
  5. Progatron Win User
    I really don't know what it is for, to be honest. It doesn't show any files in File Explorer except for ST17473.30959 (0 bytes)

"You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve [​IMG]

Progatron, Sep 9, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The size of 449MB and the fact you cannot see files on the J: drive suggests this may be a recovery partition that has somehow been assigned a drive letter. It would help diagnosis if you could post a screenshot of disk management.
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

Bree, Sep 9, 2017
  7. Progatron Win User
    "You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve [​IMG]

Progatron, Sep 9, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Disk management shows no partition has the letter J: assigned. Presumably you still see a J: drive in File Manager though. The only partition that matches the size in the earlier screenshot is (disk 0 partition 6) which is indeed a recovery partition (and as such, should not have a drive letter).

This solved thread from a year or so ago had a similar problem (drive letters assigned where they shouldn't be, but not showing in Disk Management). See the last couple of posts for their solution.
    Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

Bree, Sep 9, 2017
  9. Progatron Win User
    Thank you, I'll look into this. *Smile

Progatron, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "You are running out of disk space on local drive J:" - how to resolve - Similar Threads - are running disk

2. C Drive running out of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive running out of space: Hi, my laptop's local disk C: drive seems to be constantly filling up. I have an Acer Aspite V17, the C drive is 118GB and the D drive is 931GB. I work as an audio engineer and download a few GB worth of files each day to the laptop but always have the projects and the files...
  3. Running Out of Disk Space on a 1 TB Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Out of Disk Space on a 1 TB Disk: Recently, my son and I built a computer for him to play video games. We installed a 1 TB EVO solid state drive. Now, three months later, his C: drive shows used 930 GBs and he is requesting a 2nd drive. When I asked what he had on there he said the majority of that 930...
  4. you are running out of disk space on system reserved - Windows 10 -

you are running out of disk space on system reserved - Windows 10 -: Hello, Happy to Microsoft Community Celebrating 10 Years. How can I solve this problem? I should extend System Reserved Partition with 3rd party software? Is extend System Reserved Partition dangerously? and can be damage Windows? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  5. Running out of hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Running out of hard drive space: I have to delete 7GB from my computer to allow windows updates. Can I delete things from 'Manage optional features' list, eg English GB handwriting, English GB optical character recognition, typing, etc, Microsoft Quick assist, OpenSSH client, and XPS viewer? Thanks in...
  6. "you are running out of disk space in local disk E"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "you are running out of disk space in local disk E": Can Microsoft please send an update to fix the "you are running out of disk space on local disk E" problem on Windows 10? I see many users have the same problem....
  7. running out of disk space on drive E

running out of disk space on drive E: i keep getting the following annoying message: Running out of disk space on E drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-out-of-disk-space-on-drive-e/d7214062-d1ab-477d-bd05-e3a24316e986"
  8. Running out of space on local disk D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running out of space on local disk D: Keep getting a message I'm running out of space on local disk D. What to do? Cannot find D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/running-out-of-space-on-local-disk-d/247678f8-126f-4ded-a06a-8f565319d9f5
  9. running out of disk space on local drive D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    running out of disk space on local drive D: Will they be fixing the update that created all these "running out of disk space on local drive D" warning notices that pop up every couple of minutes?Really getting sick of it!...
  10. Running out of space on Local Disk (F)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running out of space on Local Disk (F): So for a good week or so now, I've been getting alters every time I turn on my laptop and the suggestions of deleting stuff does nothing cuz there's nothing to delete. I clicked to remove back ups stored in the system, deleted all cache, deleted loads of programs/games etc,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. local disk j

2. low disk space on local disk J

3. you are running out of space on local disk d

4. low disk space local disk j,
  5. local disk j drive,
  6. what is local disk j drive,
  7. Disc space on j running out of room,
  8. you are running out of space on local disc e how to resolve,
  9. low disk space you are running out of disk space on local disk,
  10. onedrive issue with running out of local drive space,
  11. running out of space on c drive,