Windows 10: Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10 How to ZIP (compress) a File or Folder in Windows 10 [img] Information Compressed (zipped) files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Cliff S New Member

Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10

How to: Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10

How to ZIP (compress) a File or Folder in Windows 10

Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Compressed (zipped) files and/or folders take up less storage space and can be transferred to other computers more quickly than uncompressed files, they can also - in some cases - allow you to upload files to websites when the original file is too large. You can work with compressed files and folders in the same way that you work with uncompressed files and folders.

This tutorial will show you how to ZIP (compress) a file or folder, multiple files and/or folders, and add files or folders to an existing ZIP file.

Warning If you add encrypted files to a compressed folder, the files will be unencrypted when extracted, which might result in unintentional disclosure of personal or sensitive information. For that reason, you should avoid compressing encrypted files.

Option One: Zip a Single File or Folder in Windows using Send To
    Option Two: Zip Multiple Files and Folders in Windows using Send To
    Option Three: Add Files and Folders to an Existing ZIP File
    Option Four: ZIP One or More File(s) and Folder(s) using Ribbon Bar in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] Zip a Single File or Folder in Windows using Send To
    1: Right click on the file or folder to open the Context Menu, hover over Send to and click Compressed (zipped) folder.

2: Type in the name you wish to call the new ZIP file (it is named after the original file or folder by default) and press Enter.

OPTION TWO [/i] Zip Multiple Files and Folders in Windows using Send To
    1: Select all of the files and/or folders that you would like to zip. (see screenshot below step 2)

Note To select random multiple files or folders
    Press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking on a file or folder to select or deselect them, then release the Ctrl key when finished.

To Select everything inbetween two selected files or folders including the selected files and folders
    Select a file or folder, press and hold the Shift key, click on another file or folder to select them and everything inbetween them, then release the Shift key.

2: Right click on the selected file(s) and/or folder(s), hover over Send to and click Compressed (zipped) folder.

3: Type in the name you wish to call the new ZIP file (it is named after the first file or folder selected by default) and press Enter.

OPTION THREE [/i] Add Files and Folders to an Existing ZIP File
    1: Select the file(s) and/or folder(s) that you would like to add to the existing zip file.

2: Drag them to on top of the ZIP file until you see + Copy, and then drop the files (release).

OPTION FOUR [/i] ZIP One or More File(s) and Folder(s) using Ribbon Bar in File Explorer
    1: In File Explorer, select (highlight) the file(s) and/or folder(s) that you would like to zip.

2: Click on the Share tab, and click on the Zip icon on the ribbon.

3: A ZIP file will be created in the same folder containing the selected items.

Note If this folder is a system folder (ex: Windows), then you will be prompted to create the ZIP file on your desktop instead.

That's it,
    Gav.

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Jul 11, 2015

2. Windows 10 File or folder Zip feature

I tried to compress a folder containing 15+ files. When I right clicked on the folder, moved to Send To, a selection for Bluetooth was the only option displayed. I repeated this step several times and then the listing included the file compression option,
    so I was able to zip the folder.

I needed to zip another set of similar files. This time only the Bluetooth option displayed after right clicking on the folder, to view the available options listed under Send To.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I can fix it?

Thank you!

WheelwrightA, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 File or folder Zip feature

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

I suspect some application might be creating conflicts during the process or corrupted system files will be the reason for failure. First use the DISM tool and System File Checker for repairing
    any missing or corrupted system files:

1. Click
    Start.

2. Type
    cmd, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to open elevated command prompt (I.e. Command prompt with admin rights).

3. If the
    User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click
    Continue.

4. Type or copy paste the below command lines into it:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. Reboot your system to see if problem still occurs.

Do check for available pending Windows Updates
    out there. Go to Start Button/>Settings/>Update & Security/> Windows Update and check for any available updates. If any try to install them, reboot your PC and see if the problem still persist.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

You're welcome Cliff, glad it's helped you out mate. *Smile

Boozad, Jul 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Zip a File or Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Zip File Folder

2. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  3. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  4. Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.

Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.: I'm running Windows 10 pro, and any attempt to extract zip files, results in an empty folder with no files extracted. If I restart my computer, I am able to extract to the same zip files with no issue. The next time I try to unzip it doesn't work and I have to restart again....
  5. Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.: I'm running Windows 10 pro, and any attempt to extract zip files, results in an empty folder with no files extracted. If I restart my computer, I am able to extract to the same zip files with no issue. The next time I try to unzip it doesn't work and I have to restart again....
  6. Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.

Windows 10 will not extract zip files; produces an empty folder.: I'm running Windows 10 pro, and any attempt to extract zip files, from any source, results in an empty folder with no files extracted. Has been happening for several months. 7Zip and similar utilities successfully unzip the same files....
  7. adding zip options to files and folders

adding zip options to files and folders: how can i add an option to compress files in to zip folder? i have option to compress to rar files only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-zip-options-to-files-and-folders/fad037cf-13af-4b3a-8a17-3b7552a60f26
  8. Cannot Zip Folder In Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Zip Folder In Windows 10: Hello,I cannot zip a folder with subfolders in it in Windows 10.My problem is NOT the commonly mentioned problem of the Zip option being absent from the menu.I have already compressed the files within the folders, but I cannot zip the folder.I have already given permissions...
  9. Zipped folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zipped folders: hi, i am trying to figure out how to unzip folders on my computer. I need to do it to add music i made onto itunes... can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zipped-folders/69b94fea-1059-4083-b840-0791ddb6f0a1"
  10. Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10: How to: Unzip Files from Zipped Folder in Windows 10 How to Unzip (extract) Files from a Zipped Folder in Windows 10 [img] Information You can zip (compress) a file so that it takes up less space. This makes it easier to email or move the file. You can also zip...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i am copy a zip file on windows 10 and paste it on a same folder but file is getting renamed automatically