Windows 10: 1 app stopping shutdown

Discus and support 1 app stopping shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; That's great news so far Tony. *Party Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Brink, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

1 app stopping shutdown

That's great news so far Tony. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018

2. I am using win10 (most recent updates), Chrome, and Webroot for Virus.
    When I shut down I occasionally get a message saying that "1 app is stopping shutdown" or words to that effect, and a choice between "shut down anyway" and "cancel". It does not tell me which app it is. I cancel. I open task manager and task manager is the only app running. So I try to close again and again I get the same message. I choose "shut down anyway" and the laptop shuts down as usual, normally, that is, almost instantly.
    Could anyone please tell me how to find out what app the machine is talking about? It's not a big problem because all programs work perfectly when I next reboot, but not knowing what is causing this issue is rather annoying.
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Tony Vella, Apr 12, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Can't Shutdown & Laggy problem (Resolved)

Hey Guys,

Have a good news here. i am able to shutdown my windows normally now 1 app stopping shutdown :D

Here what i do, but im not sure which make me can shutdown normally, you can test it out by yourself:

1. Fully removed my mcafee with MCPR. cuz i don't like it, it comes with the laptop.

2. i reallize my disk process always goes 100% so i did this:

*go to search, services:

1.look for background inteligent transfer, stop it, disable it.

2.look for superfetch, stop it, disable it,

3.look for windows search(this not the causes of can't shutdown, but causes disk 100%), stop it, disable it.

And after all of this my laptop can shutdown normally now. Have a great day!

changjieho, Apr 12, 2018
  4. 1 app stopping shutdown

Stopping shutdown

I will try your suggestions and report back. Thank you so much for taking time to help. Much appreciated.

RichardAmes1, Apr 12, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 12, 2018
  6. Thanks Brink for your reply. I did what you suggested and so far, so good. However, I still would like to know how to find out which app is stopping the shutdown. As I said in my original post, when I open task manager, task manager is the only app running. Shouldn't there also be the actual app that is causing the problem; it is obviously still running?

Tony Vella, Apr 12, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 12, 2018
  8. ap1978 Win User

1 app stopping shutdown

Same happened here. Latest Win10 insider builds.

ap1978, Apr 12, 2018
  9. pyramid10 Win User
    -- Tony Vella

Quite odd! Just about every tab in Task Manager is well-populated with information, except possibly Startup.

Are you an Insider, as ap1978 is?

pyramid10, Apr 13, 2018
  10. I followed all the advice given and what do you know? the same problem with shutdown occurred last night. I chose "shutdown anyway" and it shut down instantly. @pyramid10: I don't know what an Insider is, so, I'm afraid, I cannot answer your question. I'm just a 73 year old who uses Word Processing, Spreadsheet maker, and, occasionally, a PDF reader and One Note 2010 for studying. Every morning I read the news from London, Paris, Rome, Buenos Aires, and Ottawa, Canada using Chrome. I have updates set on automatic. I also check the weather before going out as I have to be careful for my health. Please let me know if that makes me an Insider (whatever that is).

Tony Vella, Apr 13, 2018
  11. pyramid10 Win User
    An Insider is supposedly Windows OS beta-testers who make Windows 10 jump through hoops to see if bugs occur before the OS is released to the public.

So, which tab in Task Manager only shows one app, Task Manager?

My guess on the offending app that prevented shutdown in the past is likely associated with Windows Update, since that is set to Automatic.

pyramid10, Apr 13, 2018
  12. The tab is Processes and right now it shows: Thunderbird (32 bit); Chrome 11; Task Master.
    I don't know how to change the "automatic" in Windows Update. When I had Win 7 I used to get an alert telling me there are updates and allowed me to choose which updates to install. I used to select just the important ones. I should very much prefer that process. That is not so with my Win 10; it just installs whatever it wants.
    To me pyramid10 is just a username with whom I should like to correspond privately (which I don't know how to do) just to practice my Norwegian which I have not used for over 5 years.

Tony Vella, Apr 13, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

1 app stopping shutdown

Tony,

If you like for now, you could create a shortcut using the command below for an instant force shutdown shortcut you could use to shut down the computer.

shutdown /s /f /t 0

When you see the End Task dialog like below, does it show any details for what app is preventing shutdown?

1 app stopping shutdown [​IMG]

Brink, Apr 13, 2018
  14. @Brink.
    NO! It just says: This app is preventing shutdown. In your image, lucky you, it tells you what app it's talking about. Not in mine. This is where my natural curiosity kicks in. I tried clicking the small icon, I tried double-clicking it, I tried Shift-Click ... nothing!
    Tony V.

Tony Vella, Apr 13, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you could see if using the shortcut I posted will allow you to instantly shutdown for now.

Brink, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1 app stopping shutdown

1. 1 app stopping shutdown - Similar Threads - app stopping shutdown

2. Apps stopped working after force shutdown. Win11 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps stopped working after force shutdown. Win11 23H2: Hello, After recent update my laptop is taking too long to shutdown. sometimes it will not shutdown properly when i boot it up again it shows 1day+ uptime or just fails to shutdown completely and returns to login screen again after1hr of showing "shutting down" screen. This...
  3. Apps stopped working after force shutdown. Win11 23H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps stopped working after force shutdown. Win11 23H2: Hello, After recent update my laptop is taking too long to shutdown. sometimes it will not shutdown properly when i boot it up again it shows 1day+ uptime or just fails to shutdown completely and returns to login screen again after1hr of showing "shutting down" screen. This...
  4. Some apps stopped working after force shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some apps stopped working after force shutdown.: Hello, After recent update my laptop is taking too long to shutdown. sometimes it will not shutdown properly when i boot it up again it shows 1day+ uptime or just fails to shutdown completely and returns to login screen again after1hr of showing "shutting down" screen. This...
  5. Some apps stopped working after force shutdown.

Some apps stopped working after force shutdown.: Hello, After recent update my laptop is taking too long to shutdown. sometimes it will not shutdown properly when i boot it up again it shows 1day+ uptime or just fails to shutdown completely and returns to login screen again after1hr of showing "shutting down" screen. This...
  6. gvrBackgroundWindows3 delays shutdown 1/28/24

in Windows 10 Gaming
    gvrBackgroundWindows3 delays shutdown 1/28/24: I am running Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Lattitude 5530. I just experienced this for the first time. I have had this computer since April 2023 with no issues. This is sudden and unexpected. I saw the 2015 thread with this issue. I have System Mechanic, but I have had it on this...
  7. Windows Stopped Working Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Stopped Working Shutdown: These past few days, my pc would randomly shut down for no reason. It boots back up after the fan spinning very loud and the monitor to think the pc shutdown. I have checked the reliability history of this pc and the description is : DescriptionThe computer has rebooted from...
  8. Windows Stopped Working Shutdown

Windows Stopped Working Shutdown: These past few days, my pc would randomly shut down for no reason. It boots back up after the fan spinning very loud and the monitor to think the pc shutdown. I have checked the reliability history of this pc and the description is : DescriptionThe computer has rebooted from...
  9. App prevents shutdown

App prevents shutdown: When I go to shut down my computer, a pop up comes on the screen saying, "An app running in the background is preventing shut down". How can I tell which up is running? and Can I close this app myself? Thanks...
  10. "%1" app

"%1" app: In photo viewer there is an option "open with" Next to the regular installed apps there is also a strange "%1" option or app. and I don't have a clue what that's suppose to mean. 31490