Windows 10: Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

Discus and support Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 How to Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 [img] Information When apps (tasks) do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

How to: Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

How to Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When apps (tasks) do not end (close) automatically when you are signing out of Windows 10, the system will wait 5 seconds (HungAppTimeout) by default before the End Task dialog appears asking you to cancel or to close the listed apps and restart anyway, shut down anyway, or sign out anyway.

If you do not make a choice in the End Task dialog before the 1 minute timeout expires, Windows 10 will automatically cancel the restart, shutdown, or sign-out by default.

For example, if you have notepad open with unsaved changes when you restart, shut down, or sign out.

HungAppTimeout also specifies how long (5 seconds by default) the system waits for user processes to end after the user clicks/taps on the End task button in Task Manager. If this threshold is exceeded, the End Task dialog box appears, stating that the process did not respond.

This tutorial will show you how to specify the HungAppTimeout value for how long the system waits before the End Task dialog appears for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change HungAppTimeout Value for Current User Only
    • Option Two: Change HungAppTimeout Value for All Users

EXAMPLE: End Task dialog when restarting, shutting down, and signing out

OPTION ONE [/i] Change HungAppTimeout Value for Current User Only
    1. Press Win+R to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the HungAppTimeout string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

Note If you do not have a HungAppTimeout string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty space in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type HungAppTimeout for the name, and press Enter.

4. Type in a number for many milliseconds you want to have for the HungAppTimeout value, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default value is 5000 milliseconds (5 seconds). You could also delete the HungAppTimeout string value, to have it use 5000 milliseconds by default.

It is recommended to not set a value below 1000 milliseconds (1 second).

5. sign in to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change HungAppTimeout Value for All Users

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This will override Option One above.

1. Press Win+R to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the HungAppTimeout string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

Note If you do not have a HungAppTimeout string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty space in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type HungAppTimeout for the name, and press Enter.

4. Type in a number for many milliseconds you want to have for the HungAppTimeout value, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note The default value is 5000 milliseconds (5 seconds).

It is recommended to not set a value below 1000 milliseconds (1 second).

5. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017

2. Audio icon on Taskbar disappear on Startup

Thank you for your help,however I solved the problem reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "5000" /reg add
    "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f,reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f, which I found
    on Windows10 Forum.The value were to low,the audio icon has returned after startup,lets hope it stays there,Thank you again.

AlanBarnesXN, Nov 30, 2017
  3. IE registry values in mcrosoft money

Should I change the registry values back to default values after the Aug 11 update to windows 10?

sparks3919, Nov 30, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

Hey mate, *Smile

Are you sure you're referring to the setting in this tutorial?

The default value is "5000".

Brink, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Indeed. I had multiple issues on laptops, like system tray icons not displaying at all.
    The cause was this value. They were grayed out as the result of this value set too low.
    Once I set it to 20000, all system icons worked just fine. Imagine my surprise, but it worked.
    Maybe it is not an issue anymore, but I thought it is worth mentioning, 10 works in mysterious ways.

System icons greyed out Solved - Windows 10 Forums

EDIT: Value 5000 is probably fine, the other values count towards it, so 5000 + 20000.

I think, that WaitToKillAppTimeout and WaitToKillServiceTimeout do not exist by default, so it was probably my fault anyway.

TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, WaitToKillAppTimeout and WaitToKillServiceTimeout do not exist by default.

They may have contributed to that. It'll be interesting to hear if others have the same issue.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10

1. Change HungAppTimeout Value in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change HungAppTimeout Value

2. How to change No changing background value

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change No changing background value: I’m trying to change the Nochangingwallpaper vaule to 0 as I’ve read in another thread. But when I enter 0 it said error cannot change value. Can anyone help with this please?...
  3. How to change No changing background value

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change No changing background value: I’m trying to change the Nochangingwallpaper vaule to 0 as I’ve read in another thread. But when I enter 0 it said error cannot change value. Can anyone help with this please?...
  4. How to change No changing background value

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. hungapptimeout gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hungapptimeout gone: Got Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7 and on window 11I've notice that the hungapptimeout is gone from my registry even though I remember it being in there before. Can anyone offer any help?...
  6. hungapptimeout gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hungapptimeout gone: Got Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7 and on window 11I've notice that the hungapptimeout is gone from my registry even though I remember it being in there before. Can anyone offer any help?...
  7. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Change TDR value - Pros and Cons: HiI’ve recently been having issues with CTDs for Prepar3d v5.3 where I get crashes without an error log in the event logger, specifically using Aerosoft’s A330 professional add on. They are uncommon but they do happen enough to cause some concern. I’ve conversed with both...
  8. PCI register value is changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCI register value is changed: PCI register value which was set mm command has changed some case If value was 0...7 is ok, But, In case of value over 8, It becames plus 10 8 -> 18 9 -> 19 a -> 1a ..... It occurred version 1904 2004 Any clue about this? I checked it in another OSLinux so,...
  9. I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I changed my registry value to show advanced power options, the registry value change...: It just happened one day to another. I used it to change the screen lockout from a minute to 60. submitted by /u/AswanStruyf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0qv9y/i_changed_my_registry_value_to_show_advanced/
  10. Suddenly Windows time changes to an strange value.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Suddenly Windows time changes to an strange value.: Hello, This is very strange. I have a miniPC with windows 10 Home loaded with an application that is intended to be used unattended. After an electricity cut off, time changes suddenly. For example, today morning I synchronized time with a server, having the exact time,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changer le hungapptimeout