Windows 10: Accessing Boot menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Accessing Boot menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Gateway/Acer computer and have not found how to access my boot menu in Windows 10. I want to disable Secure Boot and then do a Clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidG, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DavidG Win User

Accessing Boot menu in Windows 10

I have a Gateway/Acer computer and have not found how to access my boot menu in Windows 10.

I want to disable Secure Boot and then do a Clean Install of windows 10.

Any suggestions are appreciated. *Thumbs

:)

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015
  2. DominicP Win User

Cannot Access BIOS after Windows 10 Upgrade

See
    Three Ways to Access the Windows 8 or 10 Boot Options Menu

You should also be able to access the BIOS after a cold boot - restart after power to the system has been turned off (not just shut down) - by pressing a key, usually F2 or Delete, before Windows starts to load.

DominicP, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Cybot Win User
    Last known good configuration as a boot option - windows 10

Windows XP - 7 have a emergency boot option called "Last Known Good Configuration" this feature sometimes allows windows to boot correctly when it suddenly starts having boot issues that are registry based. Windows 8/8.1 and 10 have this feature disabled.
    I have encountered multiple times issues where this feature would have been of tremendous help in windows 10. fortunately, It has not been removed, only turned off.

I followed the guide here to turn it back on.

How to restore the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows 8.1

but the guide has you using the legacy boot menu to access the boot option. I would prefer to use the newer boot menu to access the option. I am not that familiar with how to modify the newer boot menu options, so I came here to ask. Is there a way to add
    the 'Last know good configuration' boot option to the new boot menu, preferably, where it belongs, in the advanced startup options?

Cybot, Aug 12, 2015
  4. genet Win User

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

• Accessing Boot menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Normally, you do not need to turn Secure Boot off to install Windows 8/8.1/10 in UEFI Boot Mode. You only need to turn Secure Boot off to install Windows 7.

Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

genet, Aug 12, 2015
  5. DavidG Win User
    Your reply looks very good. I need to study it in greater detail, my first read thru did not sink in.

I want to ask what I hope is a much simpler question. In Windows 8.1 if I wanted to change my boot order I just accessed my boot menu by pressing F8 on startup.

Is there a way to access my boot menu in Windows 10, just to change boot order?

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Thomas Win User
    Your first screen or Logo screen should have a menu with select boot option. It will have also have the option to select Bios where you can select your boot order. During start up pressing Del will take you to your Bios.

Thomas, Aug 12, 2015
  7. DavidG Win User
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for replying. In Windows 10 both F8 and/or Delete key on STARTUP do nothing.

Give it a try if you have Windows 10.

Because of this change in how to access BIOS, having a recovery USB (16 GB min.) and repair disc (4 GB) are essential. If you do not have them, check out the red arrows in this image below.

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015
  8. DavidG Win User

F2 did take me to BIOS. However I did not see a SAFE MODE OR SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING OPTION.
    Any suggestions?

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015
  9. meebers Win User
    meebers, Aug 12, 2015
  10. werty Win User
    werty, Aug 12, 2015
  11. Thomas Win User
    When you get into BIOS look for Boot Order. When you find this you will be able to change what sequence the disks boot in. Your Logo screen or first start screen should have a menu for you to select from different options. Mine says F11 for boot menu, I have a MSI Mother Board.

Thomas, Aug 12, 2015
  12. DavidG Win User
    Boot Order is in my BIOS and I understand how to set them. My BIOS says F12 for boot menu, when I access F12 it says BOOT MANAGER and only lists Windows Boot. There are no other options or ways to change anything.

Below is a link from "Brink" his threads are worthwhile. It lists Windows 10 safe mode as being available after logging on. But what if we can't log on. Then I guess the Recovery USB and repair Disc.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

DavidG, Aug 12, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Do believe Secure boot is a feature in the BIOS, not boot manager why would you need this, only needed when booting from a disc or USB to do the clean install. See i confused boot menu with manager here.

Within windows 10 if have UEFI get to Secure boot settings https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

jds63, Aug 13, 2015
  14. DavidG Win User
    Thanks for this link.
    I found that from the sign in page I can use "Shift + Restart" and a few other commands to access safe mode.

DavidG, Aug 13, 2015
  15. DavidG Win User
    Safe Mode in not part of my Windows 10 BIOS, it was part of BIOS in Windows 8.1
    Safe Mode with networking is a common solution to some virus or malware problems.

EDIT***********************EDIT**********************EDIT
    I am wrong Safe Mode was NOT part of Windows 8.1 BIOS. (sorry my bad).

DavidG, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Accessing Boot menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Accessing Boot menu

2. I can’t access the boot menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can’t access the boot menu: So basically I got a hammy-down pc from 2016 that has a msi motherboard, so my question is why can’t I open the boot/bios menu on startup, because nothing turns on until I get to the windows log in screen and I really need to change the disk I boot to, because I boot to a 27...
  3. I can’t access the boot menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can’t access the boot menu: So basically I got a hammy-down pc from 2016 that has a msi motherboard, so my question is why can’t I open the boot/bios menu on startup, because nothing turns on until I get to the windows log in screen and I really need to change the disk I boot to, because I boot to a 27...
  4. I can’t access the boot menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can’t access boot menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t access boot menu.: I have a HP Pro 3500 computer .Did a factory reset, something got messed up and I can’t get past the setup screen which shows up every time I turn my computer on. Keyboard and mouse doesn’t work on this screenI was messing around with UEFI settings now the boot menu and...
  6. Can’t access boot menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t access boot menu.: I have a HP Pro 3500 computer .Did a factory reset, something got messed up and I can’t get past the setup screen which shows up every time I turn my computer on. Keyboard and mouse doesn’t work on this screenI was messing around with UEFI settings now the boot menu and...
  7. How to access boot menu with F11 on keyboard?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access boot menu with F11 on keyboard?: Suddenly my keyboard has not been turning on fast enough to press F11 when my PC is turning on. and I want to boot my USB containing Windows OS. Is there anyway I can do to access boot menu without pressing F11 when it’s powering on. submitted by /u/throwawaynonaaha6551...
  8. Stuck on boot menu not showing windows boot manager and fixbokt access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck on boot menu not showing windows boot manager and fixbokt access denied: I have windows 10 pro and i dual boot my laptop with kali linux and after downloading it i use grub boot loader to perform dual booting and turn off windows screen protection and real time protection and make the grub boot loader as default but when i shut down and then...
  9. HELP! Unable to start Windows 10, cannot access boot menu or BIOS menu, out of options!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HELP! Unable to start Windows 10, cannot access boot menu or BIOS menu, out of options!: HELP! Can't start Windows 10, cannot access boot menu or BIOS, out of options! I booted up my PC this afternoon, and the computer didn't start up. It normally shows the manufacturer, and goes onto a login menu. Instead of the login, it shows a red window saying: "Secure boot...
  10. Windows 10 boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 boot menu: After reversing a dual boot with Linux I would like to discover how to bring the boot back to just booting into windows w/o a menu to choose from. Linux is completely removed including the boot entry in the EFI partition and is not in my BIOS anywhere. When I now boot I have...