Windows 10: After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

Discus and support After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bemused, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Bemused Win User

After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly

I had a problem before the holidays which this group identified correctly as long-term corruption and I solved the issue with a clean 10 install. All now great except...I had to go into the Users/Media path to replace a saved Chrome history file and noticed that the Users/Media folder had been named using the first five letters of my forename. Everything seems to be working ok but ignoring the gibberish name, rather than continue with something which may go strange in the future I wonder is it possible to change the name back to "Media"? I imagine there are any number of links to the OS so simply renaming would not work...would this be a regedit thing?
    thanks in advance for any suggestions.

:)

Bemused, Jan 3, 2017
  2. raminkus Win User

After windows 10 crash , reinstalling windows 8.1 with a different user name and then clean install of windows 10 there is nofolder with the original user name C/users

After windows10 crash I had to give my computer for reloading windows 8 ... they reinstalled windows 8 with "test" user name and then I used clean install using Media creation tool ... now in users account is available but no folder under with my user's
    name in C/users folder, and there is no "test" username in user's account, but a a "test" folder in windows/users folder where everything (downloads and other folder that suppose to go to my user's name) ..goes there. So I can not setup history file, register
    to sky drive and basically have created a confusion... could not create user name with the name test..it asks me for email...there is no email...please recommend solution

raminkus, Jan 3, 2017
  3. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Jan 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to create a local account first to get the exact user name that you want. Then convert the local account to a Microsoft account login. So, what you will have to do is create a local account with the username Media. Change it to an Administrator account. Log in to Media locally. Delete your first account you created. Change the Media account to the Microsoft account login.

Option Three here:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2017
  5. Bemused Win User
    Thank you NavyLCDR for such a comprehensive reply. I hadn't realised the 'Media' name I was expecting was the first five characters of the account login name. In previous installs on earlier versions [XP, 7 etc] I always used the name Media for the PC while 10 requires the Msoft live account. The previous 10 that went haywire was the upgrade from 7 which hadn't required the Msoft live so was still called Media. With the clean 10 build the 'Media' name had gone so I now know the path isn't corrupted and I guess I'll leave the rather stupid looking path. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Bemused, Jan 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Windows 10 does not require a Microsoft account. Not now, never has.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. After clean install, "Users/Media" folder named incorrectly - Similar Threads - clean install Users

2. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  3. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  4. Incorrect User Names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect User Names: When I transferred my system to a new computer, the user names are incorrect for my microsoft acct and I am unable some of my documents. How can I fix this?There is also an unknown account manager....
  5. User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.

in Windows 10 Customization
    User name folder and CMD user name incorrect.: Here is the issue. I might input wrong username years ago when I got my last laptop during registration. The wrong user name might sync to windows cloud or somewhere then I was never able to correct it. Even I change the user name manually by modifying the registry by logging...
  6. User Folder Name Incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Name Incorrect: Hi all, I know that other posts exist about this problem, but they all seem fairly old so I'm hoping there's a newer (more reliable) solution. I registered my Windows 10 Home Laptop with my pre-existing user account. My name is right in the settings, but for some reason,...
  7. Incorrect User Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Incorrect User Name: I am the sole user of my PC and so I set it up to by-pass the password entry screen and boot straight into the start screen. Two weeks ago I started to receive an error message on start up. The message tells me that the username or password is incorrect, try again. When...
  8. Clean install, wrong user name

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install, wrong user name: I just did a clean install from ISO, The name MS assigned to my username was the first 5 characters of my email account! Not OK! It used to be whatever nickname (i.e. shortname) I had chosen. What gives? 4829
  9. C:\Users account name question after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C:\Users account name question after clean install: Due to problems, I just did a clean install of Win 10. Got a surprise in that under C:\Users it created three defaultuser folders and a main named one in the style of "robertj" (not the real one). So I changed the latter under user profile to what I expected, i.e., just my...
  10. Changed user folder name on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......