Windows 10: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

Discus and support Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pcmonkeymonks, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

How to: Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

How to Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can choose which folders appear on Start in the list. You can add or remove the File Explorer, Settings, your Documents, your Downloads, your Music, your Pictures, your Videos, Network, and Personal folder to your Start list to open from your Start menu.

This tutorial will show you how to back up and restore the folders on Start list of any user account on your Windows 10 PC.

*note This will only backup and restore which folders will appear on the Start list, and not the content of these folders.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Backup Folders on Start List of Current Account
    • Option Two: To Restore Folders on Start List to Current Account

EXAMPLE: Folders on Start List in Windows 10

Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Backup Folders on Start List of Current Account
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to backup its folders on Start list.

2. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    Code:
    *note Substitute {GUID} for this account's unique registry key (ex: "{7aa6b0cd-95d6-40c5-97d3-200c1e6b8ee8}") in the path above.

For example:
    Code:

4. Right click on the Current key in the left pane of Registry Editor, and click/tap on Export. (see screenshot above)

5. Navigate to where you want to export this Current key to as a .reg file, type a file name (ex: "My_folders_on_Start") you want for this .reg file, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

*note This .reg file is the backup of the current account's folders on Start list.

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Folders on Start List of Current Account
    1. Sign in to the user account you want to restore a backup of folders on Start list.

2. Right click on the .reg file (ex: "My_folders_on_Start.reg") created using Option One, and click/tap on Edit.

3. Correct the GUID (ex: "{7aa6b0cd-95d6-40c5-97d3-200c1e6b8ee8}") in the .reg file to match the GUID for this account at the same registry key as step 3 in Option One above. Click/tap on File on the menu bar, and click/tap on Save to save your changes. (see screenshot below)

4. Double click/tap on the .reg file (ex: "My_folders_on_Start.reg") created using Option One.

5. When prompted, click/tap on Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve merging the .reg file.

6. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

pcmonkeymonks, Jan 5, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10  

Hello @Octopuss, *Smile

The registry setting for this uses a binary value that cannot be easily set per folder.

However, as a workaround, you could use the new tutorial below to backup and restore your settings for the folders on Start list.

*Arrow Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

installing windows 10 backup and restore later

1. Backup Vista
    2. Upgrade Vista->Windows 7 -> Windows 10. Get activated.
    3. Backup Windows 10.
    4. Clean Install Windows 10. Make sure still activated
    5. Backup a fresh copy of Windows 10
    6. Restore

To perform step 4 i will need to have downloaded an iso and create a dvd or usb to boot from.....so will not this ISO be ok and the one you mention ?

reddwarf4ever, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Rey Cam Win User
    Having trouble restoring from a windows 10 backup to a new computer

Hi Tim,

You can restore files from a backup from another computer by following the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select Control Panel >
      System and Maintenance > Backup and Restore.
    • Choose Select another backup to restore files from, and then follow the steps in the wizard. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This files will be restored in a folder having the "Username" of the one who created the file. To find the restored files:

• Select the Start button, then select Computer.
    • Double-click the icon of the drive that the files are saved on, for example
      C:\.
    • Double-click the Users folder. You will see a folder for each user account.
    • Double-click the folder for the user name that was used to create the backup. The restored files will be in the various folders based on where they were located originally.

After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10  

Hello @WTenNewbie, *Smile

If you like, you could use step 4 in Option One of the tutorial below to add a folder that contains your own shortcuts in the All apps list on the Start menu.

*Arrow Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10

1. Backup and Restore Folders on Start List in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Backup Restore Folders

2. Windows backup restoring empty folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows backup restoring empty folders: Hi, currently on W11 Pro ver. 10.0.22621 I'm trying to restore files from a Windows backup. There is 2 backup that was created within the last 6 months on my PC. The size of the backup is over 1.7 TB. However, upon completion of the restore operation, only 28 GB of files are...
  3. Windows backup restoring empty folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows backup restoring empty folders: Hi, currently on W11 Pro ver. 10.0.22621 I'm trying to restore files from a Windows backup. There is 2 backup that was created within the last 6 months on my PC. The size of the backup is over 1.7 TB. However, upon completion of the restore operation, only 28 GB of files are...
  4. Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10: Code: :: Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 @Echo Off net sess>nul 2>&1||(powershell start cmd -ArgumentList """/c %~0""" -verb Runas & exit) Cls & Mode CON LINES=11 COLS=80 & Color 0E & Title Created By Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo. Echo Do You Want to Backup...
  5. Windows 10 Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup and Restore: When I go to Windows 10 backup and restore page on my HP Notebook why does it show Backup and restore Windows 7 When I have Windows 10.Windows 10 was already preinstalled on this laptop when I bought it ?...
  6. Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude

in Windows 10 Customization
    Backup Options: Lists of Folders to backup or exclude: Settings - Backup Options has lists of folders to back up and folders to exclude. I want NOTHING in either list. But all I can do is ADD to those lists. If I add a folder to EXCLUDE, it goes off backup and appears in EXCLUDE. But that's NOT what I want. I just want to delete...
  7. Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Start Layout in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Start Menu Layout in Windows 10 The Live Folders. This can be handy if you do not want to have to setup your Start menu layout from scratch again. Say after a clean install of Windows 10....
  8. Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10: How to: Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 How to Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with the Windows 10 Creators Updates version 1703. [img] Information The Start menu in Windows 10...
  9. Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore Folder View Settings in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can change the layout view of the content of your folders to how you like. This tutorial will show you how...
  10. Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders on Start List in Windows 10 The Start menu in Windows 10 has a Start list that you can customize which folders appear in the list. You can add or remove the File Explorer, Settings,...