Windows 10: Best way to move current windows license on prbuilt PC to new SSD?

Discus and support Best way to move current windows license on prbuilt PC to new SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,I got a prebuilt ASUS PC (ROG G20CB), it comes with Windows 10 home. (The windows installation is fresh, I dont have any data yet, I just care about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by farazk86, Feb 8, 2017.

1. farazk86 Win User

Best way to move current windows license on prbuilt PC to new SSD?

Hi,I got a prebuilt ASUS PC (ROG G20CB), it comes with Windows 10 home. (The windows installation is fresh, I dont have any data yet, I just care about the license)The only problem is that it has a regular HDD and its really slow, I want to install an SSD and use that as my primary. I dont want to lose my Windows, so how do I install my activated Windows on the new SSD?I checked google, and some sites recommend backing up to USB from the windows backup option, but one site recommended that if I signed in and linked my account to the current installation license I can then just download another windows 10 from here: Access Denied and login to get my license back.Which would be my best option?Thanks

:)

farazk86, Feb 8, 2017

2. Transferring Windows

Generally for most who'd ask this: No. But . . .

"There’s no way to move this “digital entitlement” license to a new computer. It’s associated with that particular hardware you upgraded to Windows 10. Yes, even if you upgraded a system that was running
    a Retail license of Windows 7 or 8.1 that allowed you to move it to other PCs, you can’t move the resulting Windows 10 license to a new PC. However, Microsoft should allow you to reactivate Windows 10 on a PC if you had to replace the motherboard because it
    was broken." ( RE: When Can You Move a Windows License to a New PC? )

Is your Windows 7 a RETAIL license or OEM license?

Shenan Stanley, Feb 8, 2017
  3. James871 Win User
    Best Way to Transfer Hard Drive To New Computer

I recently purchased a new Windows 10 Professional license and installed it on a new 1TB WD Hard drive. Shortly after doing so the motherboard on my HP h8-1124 died. I am purchasing ASUS Z170-A mother board and other components to build a new PC. What is
    the Best way to transfer this hard drive over to the new computer without having to purchase another windows license?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

James871, Feb 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

You can link a retail licence to your account...
    Microsoft Account - Link to Digital License on Windows 10 PC

...but an OEM licence is linked to the hardware of your PC. Microsoft's activation servers store the hardware ID for the PC. If your system is activated your hardware should already be linked to a licence for Windows 10 Home.

The disk does not form part of the hardware ID, so you are free to replace it with an SSD, do a clean install of W10 Home (when asked for a key, skip this or click 'I don't have one') and it should activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

Bree, Feb 8, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Since the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 Home from the factory, the product key should be stored in UEFI. If you get asked for a product key when doing a clean install of Windows 10 you are likely trying to install the wrong edition, you are trying to install Single Language Edition when you should be installing just plain Windows 10 for example.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2017
  6. farazk86 Win User
    Thanks. That's interesting. So I just can't download from the link I provided and activate it? How do I find my exact version? All I know it's Windows 10 home

farazk86, Feb 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you download the Media Creation Tool, run it and select the option to Create Installation Media for Another PC, the next screen will tell you which is the proper edition to download for your computer.

Windows 10 ISO Download

Best way to move current windows license on prbuilt PC to new SSD? [​IMG]

You can also just use the currently installed Windows 10 to create a recovery drive for your computer that will include the software and drivers included with it from the factory:

Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Best way to move current windows license on prbuilt PC to new SSD? - Similar Threads - Best move current

2. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  3. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  4. Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done?: Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done? All hardware remains as per OEM other than new harddrive to replace broken one....
  5. Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best way to move files froms SSD to HDD: Hi, I need help cause I´m a little confused. How do I know which of my disks is the HDD and which the SSD. I think thath the Windows (C:) is the SSD and the Data (D:) is the HDD. Is that correct. Well, I have a lot of files on Windows (C:) (sadly just 23 GB are left ), but...
  6. Moving Windows License to a new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows License to a new PC: Hello, Soon I will have a new PC which is custom built, so Windows will not be pre-activated. Is there any way I can transfer the license from my current PC to the new PC? I do not have a product key and I do not wish to re-purchase Windows 10 again unnecessarily....
  7. Best free way to move Windows 10 to new SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best free way to move Windows 10 to new SSD?: Hi I just received a new laptop however it has a m.2 SATA SSD. Could anyone recommend the best and free way to transfer Windows 10 to my new SSD? The new laptop has two m.2 slots as well. submitted by /u/bozua [link] [comments]...
  8. Moving my current SSD to a new system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving my current SSD to a new system: Hello, I am looking to buy a brand new PC soon and I want to be able to use the SSD that I already have on my current system. The SSD that I already own has Windows 10 already installed on it. I do not mind having to freshly install Windows but I'm in the dark a little on how...
  9. what the best way to move SSD from broken Laptop to a new one

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    what the best way to move SSD from broken Laptop to a new one: Scenario: I am business traveling, and my laptop died (SSD is OK, I think). My possible resources are very poor (Greek island). So I don't see a chance for mirroring, etc. HDs here. So I have to buy a new laptop - windows 10 pre installed. I have (hopefully) all...
  10. Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new SSD?: I'm currently running Windows 8.1 on my laptop however I want to upgrade to Windows 10 on a new 250gb SSD that I've just bought. What would be the best way to do this? Would I need to backup all my data, create a Windows 8 bootable USB, install Windows 8 on the SSD, put...