Windows 10: Black screen with cursor

Discus and support Black screen with cursor in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month. After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NevRon, Mar 18, 2016.

1. NevRon Win User

Black screen with cursor

Living in Fear: Updated to Ten (Gateway SX-2800), it worked for a month.
    After an update came black screen with cursor. TenForum solution (3
    shutdowns before full start) and restart fixed. Updated video and other
    drivers. Another update event, happened again, this time auto fix did not
    fix. Advanced to system restore. Worked once. I was on a special project,
    feared same problem, so I left computer on for 2 weeks, no problem. Then
    was forced to restart with update. (BTW -sorry didn't mention *SadI GET THE SIGN ON
    SCREEN EACH TIME , AND ENTER PASSWORD)
    then black screen - and now no fixes
    work, no restore points. Current status - active cursor, notifications and windows pop up
    over a black screen, addressing second monitor with blind keystrokes on and
    off works (evidenced by cursor), task manager opens (ctrl alt del) and
    seems fully functional. Lots of functions in task manager show stopped.
    Seems like desktop is there but screen is black. Any possible fix through
    task manager or by keystrokes?? tried all fixes found here. Help!!

:)

NevRon, Mar 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 install issue - computer no longer turns on

It's been 36 hours and on a black screen with moving cursor. It should not be taking this long. Computer goes into hibernation and when I press the power button still black screen with cursor. Suggestions?

sailbeachcatz177, Mar 18, 2016
  3. Computer boots into black screen with cursor

*Original Title: black screen and cursor

Lenovo

update and shut down, next day turned on, manufacturers logo straight to black screen and cursor...need my computer immediately

help

fernando caiella, Mar 18, 2016
  4. NevRon Win User

Black screen with cursor

Tried all options from previous "black screen" posts. Still black with cursor and notifications pop up and ctr alt del opens manager window and it is functional. Anything I can do from there? One last possible resort, when using auto fix with 3 incomplete starts - in advanced option it says restore to earlier build. Is this a Windows 10 build, or does it mean restore to previous windows 7 OS? ?? Guess I need to try it as a last resort. Will hang in one more day before that. Thanks. Ron <><

NevRon, Apr 1, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi NevRon and welcome to Tenforums.

It would be helpful if you could give us a quick rundown of everything you've tried so far, and also fill in your system specs completely.

Are you able to boot into safe mode?
    Do you have Fast Startup turned off?

simrick, Apr 1, 2016
  6. NevRon Win User
    Have a Gateway SX2800-01 which has (had) Windows 7 Pro installed. Finally gave in to Window 10 upgrade prompting and said yes. Ten installed well to my surprise, it ran for several months. Then on an update it restarted to the sign in screen, password, then black screen with cursor.*Sad I found TenForums and possible solutions with my laptop.
    *SmileFirst try - partial boot 3 times - brought up auto fix - after running - chose restore point I had set in - IT WORKED.
    I updated the video driver just in case that was a cause of problem.
    *Sad The install update came up again. I held off for weeks. Finally gave in. Restarted with sign in screen - then black screen.
    *SadSecond try - 3 partial boots - fix screen options - one available earlier restore point showing -tried - DID NOT WORK THIS TIME- Black screen again.
    *SadThird try - tried option 'start to safe mode' - Sign on screen - password -still BLACK SCREEN
    Tried (from TenForum) blind keystrokes to activate second monitor. It worked evidenced by cursor showing on second black screen (off -no cursor on second screen). Tried removing monitor and devices. The only option left from partial starts and auto fix, is to restore toan earlier Build - but I believe will likely give me another black screen.
    Observations - notification windows pop up on black screen (example: "your antivirus has been updated"). Ctrl alt del opens 'task manager' window over black screen. Tabs work showing active activities of files/programs.
    I don't know about fast start mode. Can that be accessed from task manager? Or something to get my desktop back?

NevRon, Apr 5, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    This is a good one! *Wink
    I think we have to get you into your OS somehow, to disable Fast Startup.
    When you are at your black desktop, and seem to be logged in, can you try this please?

Press WindowsKey+P, down arrow twice, and enter

simrick, Apr 5, 2016
  8. NevRon Win User

Black screen with cursor

I did blind keyboard entry as above. It changed the monitor setup as evidenced by the visible cursor (one screen or both screens) but nothing else changed.
    Is there a file showing for Fast Startup in Task Manager, which opens and functions with ctrl alt del, and shows files which are functioning and can be, started, stopped, etc.

NevRon, Apr 9, 2016
  9. essenbe Win User
    When you boot into windows and get the black screen with cursor, see if this will enable you to get in

At the black screen, press the Ctrl key once on an attached physical keyboard. (You won’t see any visible change, but pressing the Ctrl key will place the cursor in the password box that you’re currently not able to see.)

Now type the password of the user that just signed out and press Enter.This will sign you back into Windows and the desktop will appear.

If you failed to sign in because you mistyped the password, press Enter once more. Then retype the password and press Enter." ...

If you can get in and see, see if this helps

[youtube]hmDmaKLbi4Y[/youtube]

essenbe, Apr 9, 2016
  10. NevRon Win User
    Sign in screen is always visible on boot up (standard boot or safe mode). Safe mode scrolls (visible). All previous problems and attempted fixes happen (black screen with cursor) after signing in with password.

NevRon, Apr 12, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    No, unfortunately not. It's a registry setting.

In Task Manager, have you tried ending the process explorer.exe and then running it again?

Black screen with cursor [​IMG]

simrick, Apr 12, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Here's another try:

Press the Win Key + P
    You won't see this, but here is a screenshot of what comes up:

The first time you press the TAB key, you will be selecting #1. We want to press the TAB key 4 times, which will select the "second screen only". Watch your second screen as you press the tab key, to see if the desktop shows during any of the other selections. Once you've pressed it 4 times, and you're on second screen only, hit enter. If you can see your desktop on the second screen at this point, then we can at least get in and uninstall that update , whatever it is.

Here are tutorials to uninstall WUs and how to hide them so they don't install again.

Windows Update - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Apr 12, 2016
  13. NevRon Win User

Black screen with cursor

I performed the last suggestion - searched Task Manager for explorer.exe (also looked for Windows Explorer), It was not there. Entered explorer.exe at services tab as instructed (simrick). Still black screen. Then windows update popped up (shut down and install). I clicked OK and it installed, shut down, opened - completed installation, shut down and restarted again. Signed in and desktop is back *Smile *Smile *Smile

FYI - I checked Task Manager after fix and found "Windows Explorer" on the list of processes, which was not there before.
    The update was KB3140768 (cumulative update).
    Thank you all for your help and patience.
    Ron
    <><

NevRon, Apr 13, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    Great job! Both you and simrick did a lot of work on this. Congrats to both of you. I am glad you have it running right again.

essenbe, Apr 13, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Brilliant! So glad you got that sorted!
    Now, turn system restore on (if it's off), and set a couple of restore points.
    Turn off Fast Startup (see post #5).
    Go ahead and mark the thread as solved. *Smile

simrick, Apr 13, 2016
Thema:

Black screen with cursor

1. Black screen with cursor - Similar Threads - Black screen cursor

2. Black Screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen with cursor: Hello,tonight I install the 22H2 update all fine and turn off the PC, today I turn on and after the boot I get black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner, what's happening?From pc boot menu it's the same, I select the SSD disk and nothing happens... Note: If I...
  3. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor: Hello,I have a problem with my computer. When I turn it on, the screen is black and I can only see the cursor. I've found that this question has been asked before like in here:...
  4. Black screen with a cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with a cursor: When I turn on my pc Windows 10 all I see is a black screen but I can see the cursor and I cant open task manager and can’t start it using safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-a-cursor/31c6ac8e-7e78-4b45-99dc-6f9d4422757d
  5. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with cursor: My computer won't start up. It gets past the Acer screen, then it goes to a black screen where I can only see the cursor. I think this started after the most recent Windows 10 update. I go into Troubleshoot and then Advanced Options, but nothing works there. I've tried...
  6. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with cursor: I have installed windows 10 and after login there's only black screen with a cursor. I haven't installed any apps on it and I have no idea what could've caused it. I have tried various fixes but none work. I can open task manager. When I try to run explorer task it appears...
  7. black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen with cursor: hi so my laptop was running slow so I went to recovery and did a windows reinstall while keeping all my files booted it back up and logged on just fine restarted it and a black screen came up about thirty minutes later it loaded everything have been googling and trying all...
  8. Black Screen With Cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Screen With Cursor: Hello, So today I turned on my computer and it was updating and sec later the power went off. When I turned it back again it asked me to select my keyboard language after that it showed me some options like troubleshoot so I clicked at troubleshoot and selected startup...
  9. Black screen with cursor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen with cursor.: Hi, I am prajwal , my PC is facing a problem.when I installed drivers in my PC, after that screen had become black with cursor , I could not able to do anything, I can't see task manager too.So I want to format my PC.But I want to back up all my stuffs.What and how I should...
  10. Black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with cursor: My Windows 10 was running perfectly well for one full week. Then this morning I noticed it installed some update and after reboot the screen went black and the cursor appeared. I tried every thing but nothing helped. I cannot even access the troubleshooting, bios, repair,...