Windows 10: Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10

Discus and support Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 How to Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2016.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10

How to: Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10

How to Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10

Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Starting in Windows 10 version 1607, administrators and driver developers can use a registry setting to block legacy file system filter drivers. Legacy file system filter drivers are drivers that attach to the file system stack directly and don't use Filter Manager.

For optimal reliability and performance, it's recommended to use file system minifilter drivers instead of legacy file system filter drivers. Also, legacy file system filter drivers can’t attach to direct access (DAX) volumes. For more about file system minifilter drivers, see Advantages of the Filter Manager Model. To port your legacy driver to a minifilter driver, see Guidelines for Porting Legacy Filter Drivers.

For more details, see: Blocking legacy file system filter drivers (Windows Drivers)

This tutorial will show you how to block and unblock legacy file system filter drivers from loading or attaching to storage volumes in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to block and unblock legacy file system filter drivers.

Here's How:

Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\I/O System

IoBlockLegacyFsFilters DWORD

0 = Unblock
    1 = Block

1. Do step 2 (block) or step 3 (not block) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Block Legacy File System Filter Drivers
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Block_Legacy_FS_Filter_Drivers.reg

Download

3. To Not Block Legacy File System Filter Drivers
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Unblock_Legacy_FS_Filter_Drivers.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2016
  2. TomBrad95 Win User

How to unblock contact on Windows 8.

Go to your settings and open calls and SMS filtering, then go to blocked numbers then press and hold the number that you want to unblock then press unblock.

TomBrad95, Apr 4, 2016
  3. farby Win User
    Unblocking a blocked number

Go to settings-->call+SMS filter-->blocked numbers.. In the list that appears, long press on the one you want to unblock and select 'unblock' ..

farby, Apr 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Dick,

Nar, it's actually for the next version of Windows 10 to be released soon. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2016
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Ah, the Anniversary Doo-Dah thing! Maybe they'll drop a preview morsel soon. Thanks. TC

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Block or Unblock Legacy File System Filter Drivers in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Block Unblock Legacy

2. Unblocking file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unblocking file: Hello, I am trying to unblock a Microsoft Access file that my friend sent me. I have tried going to my downloaded file and accessing the properties and going to general to unblock the file, but the option to unblock it is not there. Any advice? I am on Windows 11....
  3. Unblocking file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unblocking file: Hello, I am trying to unblock a Microsoft Access file that my friend sent me. I have tried going to my downloaded file and accessing the properties and going to general to unblock the file, but the option to unblock it is not there. Any advice? I am on Windows 11....
  4. Windows 10 games get blocked, then unblocked then blocked again

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 games get blocked, then unblocked then blocked again: Im having a problem. So all the games were blocked. Then I switched DNS from 1111 to 8888(google public). Nothing. Then I port forwarded the ports on xfinity router. No change. Then the next day, I could play the games. But then after that day it got blocked again. It kept on...
  5. Windows file system driver filter driver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows file system driver filter driver: I am looking for any info on a feature/regkey/public Microsoft API that will allow me to do provide a list of bad filenames. I need a hard-block for specific files that I consider security threat due to their ability to execute arbitrary code, even if from a authorized...
  6. How to unblock your internet system, who blocked it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to unblock your internet system, who blocked it?: My HP laptop is blocked. I can only open my netflix and gmail unless I use my id and passwords. The apps like games will not open. How am I supposed to unblock so the laptop will work correctly. Thank you for your assistance....
  7. blocked then unblocked account, need local files back

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    blocked then unblocked account, need local files back: I had two accounts on my pc and blocked one but forgot to transfer local files like pictures. I unblocked and readded the blocked account only for it to almost refresh itself and there is nothing in the file explorers. there is no file system backup in recovery and onedrive...
  8. how to block or unblock websites in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to block or unblock websites in windows 10: in older versions of windows I could block or unblock undesirable websites. How can I do this in windows 10? email: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  9. Legacy Driver Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Legacy Driver Files: My attempts to clone an SSD before installation have failed. The "System Report" error message says "AddLegacyDriverFiles". One of the articles I read about this said Windows Update didn't carry these anymore like they used to. If anybody knows anything about this I would...
  10. Unblock File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unblock File in Windows 10: How to: Unblock File in Windows 10 How to Unblock a File in Windows 10 The Attachment Manager is included in Windows to help protect your PC from unsafe attachments that you might receive with an e-mail message and from unsafe files that you might save from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 blocking legacy uwd