Windows 10: Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

Discus and support Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hey John, When you upload a file, you just need to be sure to attach it afterwards. Uploading it alone will not have the file/image show in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by endeavor, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

Brink, Jul 5, 2015
  2. Railtech Win User

I have the exact same problem as CasioJones in post #10 of this thread wherein I boot to the OS and the result is a black screen. I have found that it is possible if rebooting that after login the desktop appears but displays no program icons including the recycle bin and displays as a rapidly flickering image for a minute or so before I get the black screen. The single other difference for me is that my install was not an upgrade from a previous version of Windows but rather a stand alone install from a downloaded ISO file from Microsoft.

I too can use ctrl+alt+del to access the several options to run task manager, switch user, etc, and they all work but the desktop refuses to display. The lack of icons gives me the notion that Windows explorer is not running. I recall a bug in Windows 7 that followed this scenario in which the solution was a registry hack, might this be a regressive bug in Windows 10?

I realize that I can use my install media to attempt access to Safe Mode and if that indeed works I am a bit uncertain as to what direction to take to try to figure out exactly what is wrong here. So I am looking for some direction here on what I might try to solve the issue. I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Railtech, Jul 18, 2015
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Railtech, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Are you able to run explorer from Task Manger to get your desktop back?

Brink, Jul 18, 2015
  4. Railtech Win User

I have not tried that yet. Right now I am away from the machine and cannot test. Might be that way for awhile but I will certainly give that a try. Thanks and I am open for anything else you might think of.

EDIT: Do you think it might be a user profile corruption issue?

Railtech, Jul 18, 2015
  5. JohnD89 Win User
    Sounds good now, but the Cloud-Upgrade model MS is using means no recovery disk at install. Needless to say my upgrade did not go well and I had no safe-mode recovery option or W10 media. If that's an inherent limitation of the system fine, but if it was deliberate it was another huge error.

I'm restored and operational, after a lot of extra work, but needless to say MS has long forgotten what being a user feels like. I'm just glad I had the skills to recover. What do non-IT folks do?

JohnD89, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Should any of you run into black screen after reboot and be without Win 10 DVD - Try to boot a ubuntu based LiveCD and and after you have got to the ubuntu based desktop, reboot and remove LiveCd and boot into windows - that fixed it for me*Smile

JBJ
    MS Programmers should go back to the drawing board!

insomniacno1, Aug 15, 2015
  8. ken545 Win User

I used option 3 and went to an elevated command prompt and put this in
    bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network

Then I used F8 to boot to safemode but the problem was I was in a continues loop, everytime I restarted it went right back to safemode. I had to use msconfig to untick safeboot and then i booted up normally

bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network <-----How do i remove this ?

ken545, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ken, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You would want to use the command in step 3 of OPTION THREE in the tutorial to remove this entry.

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Ken. *Smile

Brink, Sep 1, 2015
  11. Starry173 Win User
    I was testing this out. When I am using the cmd prompt within Windows 10, I can follow these instructions to a tee. There is a loader entry marked {current} if I just type in BCDEDIT. However, I created a Recover Drive and used it to boot up and entered the command prompt. Now, if I type in BCDEDIT /SET {CURRENT} SAFEBOOT NETWORK, it just errors out (error occurred while attempting to reference the specified entry). And it is true that if I type BCDEDIT, the only loader entry is referring to the Recover Drive (E: in this case) instead of C: . So is it not possible to set the Win 10 PC to a safeboot mode from the cmd prompt offered from the recover drive using BCDEDIT?

Starry173, Sep 16, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Starry, *Smile

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode using OPTION ONE instead?

Brink, Sep 16, 2015
  13. Starry173 Win User

If I go into the Advanced Options while Windows is up, then yes I can get to Startup Settings. But if I boot up on the Recover Drive (Flash Drive), then Startup Settings is not an option. I can get into Command Prompt, but perhaps it was never meant to allow me to access the Bootup Loader for the main PC when I am not booting up on it. I can get at the entries on the C drive ... it calls it the X drive, but it all the same files. So I could certainly change things. It's just that in that context, the current loader entry isn't loaded.

Starry173, Sep 16, 2015
  14. Starry173 Win User
    What I have done in the past is set up the PCs to allow selection of a Safe Mode every time the PC boots and that works pretty well. On Windows 8, I had it set up as separate multi-boot entries in the boot menu. But Win 8.1 stopped allowing that and I found some other way to do it. I was just hoping that things had changed on Windows 10 and I would be able to get into safe mode on a PC that won't boot normally.

Starry173, Sep 16, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Usually, you'll see X:\Sources> in a command prompt at boot.

Odd. Typing bcdedit in a command prompt at boot should also show you the boot details like below.

Usually at boot, you would have {default} as the identifier instead of {current} though.

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Boot Safe Mode

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  4. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't Boot in Windows 10 Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Boot in Windows 10 Safe Mode: Greetings, I just made a terrible disaster where I curiously clicked a bundled registry files, which render my profile ‘broken’. Now I'd like to sset things right by executing Safe Mode from my Lenovo Yoga 6, however the screen keep getting stuck on Lenovo logo without any...
  6. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  7. Windows 10 boots only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boots only in safe mode: I recently updated my laptop (HP ProBook 6470b) to windows 10. All went well , and I started to install the windows updates (just as everyone does) around a minute or so , the screen goes black. I can see the cursor , but nothing else. The windows also played some sounds. I...
  8. Windows 10 boot to safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 boot to safe mode: I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The boot tab in msconfig...
  9. How to Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Boot Windows 10 into Safe Mode: I am using Acer Laptop and have installed Windows 10. Looks like there are viruses in the system and startup has got slowed down. The only way I see is to boot it into Safe Mode, and toggle the services. I need help on 2 things : How shall I make windows faster? How...
  10. boot windows 10 safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    boot windows 10 safe mode: How can I boot into safe mode or recovery on Lenovo Yoga 11e? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-windows-10-safe-mode/b836c78a-30ee-4c7f-beb0-7219767881f7