Windows 10: BSOD occurs randomly

Discus and support BSOD occurs randomly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have BSODs occuring randomly, sometimes 2-3 times a day, sometimes nothing for a week. The BSOD says MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR. I updated all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Szidor, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Szidor Win User

BSOD occurs randomly

Hi,

I have BSODs occuring randomly, sometimes 2-3 times a day, sometimes nothing for a week.
    The BSOD says MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR.

I updated all the drivers to no avail.

:)

Szidor, Sep 7, 2016

2. Randomly Occuring BSOD

Hi,

If you need to check for malware here are my recommendations - these will allow you to do a thorough check and removal without ending up with a load of spyware programs running resident which can cause as many issues as the malware and maybe harder to detect
    as the cause.

No one program can be relied upon to detect and remove all malware. Added that often easy to detect malware is often accompanied by a much harder to detect and remove payload. So its better to be overly thorough now than to pay the high price later. Check with
    these to an extreme overkill point.

How do I find and remove a virus?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-find-remove-virus

TDSSKiller.exe. - Download to the Desktop - then go to it and Right Click on it - RUN AS ADMIN it will show any infections in the report after running - if it will not run change the name from tdsskiller.exe to tdsskiller.com. Whether it finds anything or not
    does not mean you should not check with the other methods below.

Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Malwarebytes - free

Malwarebytes for Windows

SuperAntiSpyware Portable Scanner - Free

SUPERAntiSpyware - SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner

AdwCleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Hitman Pro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).

HitmanPro.Alert Ransomware Prevention, Secondary Scanner and Zero-Day Exploit Protection | hitmanpro.com

What is Windows Defender Offline?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

Windows Defender Offline system requirements

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-defender-offline-system-requirements

--------------------------------------------------------

If needed here are some online free scanners to help

Online Malware Detection

----------------------------------

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Other Free online scans

antivirus free online scan - Google Search

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Randomly Occuring BSOD

I've been getting blue screens at various moments. Sometimes they occuring while Windows is booting, and sometimes they occur during general use. I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 from the free upgrade.

Here are my minidumps and ouput of MSinfo

BSODPost.zip

DarrenGraziano, Sep 7, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

BSOD occurs randomly

Hi Szidor,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

I'll post my 0x124 crash troubleshooting template, because a 0x124 crash is the new variant of a 0x9C crash.

BSOD occurs randomly [​IMG]
    STOP 0x124 Troubleshooting
    Read carefully before proceeding.

*Arrow Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer - Read in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the error scan,
    • the health,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

FOUR
    GPU TEST

Run FurMark - GPU Stress Test - Windows 10 Forums

Note Run Furmark for around 30 minutes.

Warning Your GPU temperatures will rise quickly while Furmark is running. Keep a keen eye on them and abort the test if overheating occurs.
    Make a photo of the result and post it.

In Furmark you can find a tool called 'GPU-Z' (if you want to install GPU-Z is up to you), when GPU-Z is open click on the 'Sensors' tab, on this tab you can monitor
    • the frequency of the GPU,
    • the GPU memory clock,
    • the temperature,
    • the power,
    • the load on the GPU,
    • Etc.
    I would like you to make a screenshot of GPU-Z after you have either cancelled Furmark for any reason or Furmark is finished, post this screenshot in your next reply with the result of Furmark.

axe0, Sep 8, 2016
  5. Szidor Win User
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer, I attached the screenshots.

CPU test went smoothly, no errors, quickly achieved, then stable ~80C temperature.
    GPU test also went smoothly, quickly achieved, then stable ~95C temperature.
    Both of these tests produced audible cooling noise which I didn't experience when the BSODs happened.
    The laptop wouldn't boot from the USB stick no matter what, so I executed the BIOS built-in memory test's most extensive variant, it found no errors.
    chkdsk also produced no errors. (I omitted the /r option since this is a brand new SSD.)

Thx,

Szidor, Sep 15, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Please upload the chkds log, follow the tutorial (link provided in the instructions) for how you can find & upload it *Smile

95C for the GPU is very hot, but it is kind off something that can be expected with a laptop. Does the GPU reach this temperature under load that is not from a stress test (i.e. gaming)?

Please disable fast startup and check the BIOS for an option that says something like 'UEFI mode' or similar, this option needs to be changed to something similar to 'legacy mode'.
    Then you should be able to boot *Smile
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

7. Szidor Win User
    Thanks...
    I'm not doing anything GPU-intensive at all. But the fact that it reached 95C in a minute than came to a screeching halt there makes me beleive it is normal. *Smile
    I will do the rest soon...

Oh, one more thing:
    Always before the BSOD, there is a 15-30 sec total freeze (no mouse pointer movement, not even changing the numlock LED with the numlock button).

Szidor, Sep 15, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

BSOD occurs randomly

If I would run Furmark on my laptop, which hasn't been cleaned in a long time, I would get the same result (including lags due to having a bad iGPU) as you but that doesn't mean much in it's situation *Smile

How old is your computer?

9. Szidor Win User
    We bought it a few months ago brand new.

Szidor, Sep 15, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Alright,

Although not all pics have been provided as requested, it is currently fairly easy as to what happens next.

If the memory test doesn't show any errors then I'll suggest to run driver verifier.
    If driver verifier catches a lot of drivers, but the caught drivers keep being different then you'll need to return the laptop as it is an indication to a hardware problem that cannot be identified by the performed tests.

If driver verifier doesn't catch drivers, then I'll need detailed description about the situation of the crashes (what happened and what were you doing) as the current description in the first post isn't enough for me to properly provide suggestions.

With a detailed description I mean for example, 'I was playing The Witcher 3 through Steam while Office 365, Google Chrome and Firefox were open. I switched from program with alt+tab to open MusicBee for music. After trying to switch back to The Witcher 3 there was a small lagging where afterwards the screen stayed black for ~30 seconds and the system didn't respond to anything. After a few seconds a 0x116 occured stating that a video TDR failure had occured. While rebooting the screen stayed black after the circling dots of Windows was done, after waiting ~15 minutes I was able to login again.'

11. Szidor Win User
    Could you please point me to the driver verifier?

Szidor, Sep 16, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Not yet, first MemTest86+ *Smile

Thema:

BSOD occurs randomly

1. BSOD occurs randomly - Similar Threads - BSOD occurs randomly

2. Random BSODs occuring

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSODs occuring: 3 months after receiving this computer, in past year january, I came across a bunch of different kinds of blue screen of death. After trying many different solutions, the issues still aren't fixed, and sometimes most of the games runt on this computer would crash quickly, and...
  3. Random BSODs occuring

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSODs occuring: 3 months after receiving this computer, in past year january, I came across a bunch of different kinds of blue screen of death. After trying many different solutions, the issues still aren't fixed, and sometimes most of the games runt on this computer would crash quickly, and...
  4. Random BSODs occuring

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD occurring again randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD occurring again randomly: Hello,I've been having an issue with random bsod events. I'll be in the middle of something and randomly I'll get a bsod for a few seconds and then the system restarts. I did a complete refresh and re-install of windows and looks like nothing has changed. If possible I would...
  6. BSOD occurring randomly - Chia

BSOD occurring randomly - Chia: I recently started trying to use the Chia program, a crpyto farming program and have been getting BSOD while using it, files are attached below. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoStfZ-u1nxkz6EkSIKTYvOiwYR?e=tJEdlA...
  7. Random BSOD Started Occuring Randomly

Random BSOD Started Occuring Randomly: Since a couple months ago i have been experiencing random BSOD ocurrences without changing much of my setup. This PC never had any BSOD until i upgraded my PC GPU from a GTX660Ti to a RTX3080. I cannot replicate the error has its completly random when the error occurs. i...
  8. Random BSOD occurring

Random BSOD occurring: Hi I am facing random BSOD at random time. Some tine I one my pc and BSOD occurs and sometimes after opening an app. The most common BSOD I get is MEMORY_MANGEMENT. So I checked my RAM with Windows Memory diagnostic tool but it is saying that my RAM is good. So I have...
  9. BSOD occuring randomly with no reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    BSOD occuring randomly with no reason: Hello everybody, I recently built a new computer (specs below) and randomly, I got BSOD. For instance, some days I can use the computer for hours without any trouble and another day BSOD will occur like 4 times in an hour. It happens mostly while playing (crash happens on...
  10. BSOD randomly occurs

BSOD randomly occurs: I have had the BSOD occurring randomly for the past several days. The computer will just shut down. 22402