Windows 10: C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space

Discus and support C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to download new Nvidia drivers, and it automatically tries to download in my (OS) C: drive, and the launcher doesn't provide an option (as far... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stgermain, Mar 14, 2017.

1. stgermain Win User

C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space

I need to download new Nvidia drivers, and it automatically tries to download in my (OS) C: drive, and the launcher doesn't provide an option (as far as I can tell, even when doing custom installation) to select which drive to install the new drivers -- it just automatically tries to download in the C:, and then fails because of a lack of available volume.

The problem, of course, is that the C: has 116 GB used of a total 118 GB. My D: drive, however, has 670 GB free of a total 930 GB. Each drive is on separate disks (Disk 0 and Disk 1). As the two disks are not parallel, shrinking volume on the D: won't automatically free up space to expand volume on the C:.

How can I keep both drives, and expand the available space in my C: to download the drivers?

:)

stgermain, Mar 14, 2017

2. Disks and Drives on Windows 10

Ok so basically I want to allocate more space from my "D:" drive to my "C:" drive. My "D" drive has a lot of empty space that I can utilize. However, both Drives are on different Disks. I have Disk 0 and Disk 1. Disk 0 has drive "C". Disk 1has drive "D".
    I've tried everything to allocate more to drive "C" which needs more space. Is it even possible to do so?

Also, my "D" drive is empty but says 1% used?

Deacan Gomez, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Stew1957 Win User
    How do I override this and in fact backup drive C:\ onto drive D:\. At the moment I can not see drive D:\ as an optional drive to back up to.

Hi
    DemonBradsahw,
    thanks for your answer. My Drive D:\ is in fact a separate internal drive built into the computer and is not a partitioned drive. It is 2 GB large and empty. My Drive C:\ is a 500 MB drive and only about
    50% or less full. Therefore my drive D:\ has adequate space and capacity to back up drive C:\ to.

I specifically wish to back up drive C:\ To D:\ (A mirror image) so it will be convenient to use windows restore to restore Drive D:\ to Drive C:\ in the event of a system failure at some time in the future.

Thanks.

Stew1957, Mar 14, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Device drivers usually cannot be installed on a drive other than the one Windows is installed on. If C: and D: are 2 separate physical drives you can't expand the C: partition. There usually are inaccessible partitions on the boot/system drive that one can't or shouldn't change. I run an ASUS computer with Win10 on a 150GB C: partition on a 1TB drive with the D: partition being about 750GB or the remainder of the only drive in the system. I put all my downloads on the D: partition along with the few large programs I need, right now C: is 91GB full and 56GB available while D: is 170GB full and 610GB available. There's a few 'tricks' one can do to free up space, in Control Panel, Internet Options you can empty the TIF/Temporary Internet Files. Press the Windows key and R then type %temp% and use Ctrl+R to select all the files in that Folder and Delete them, won't get them all but will make some room.

Berton, Mar 14, 2017
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    Your current C:\ drive situation is untenable. It would be risky to run Cumulative Updates for Windows 10. And the problem will resurface until space is freed up.

Look at the installed programs and see which ones do not get used, and uninstall them to free up room. If uninstall is 'forbidden', one can move a major portion of the installed program onto the other drive, and 'leave a note' behind.

As for the Download, most web browsers allow one to set the default folder to receive the downloads. It's probably not a good idea to set that folder on another drive. Temporarily? Maybe.

pyramid10, Mar 14, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You can't extend C to D if they are on different drives, no.

What I'd suggest is to run disk cleanup - see Open and Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10

Then run Treesize free as Administrator and see what is taking the space on C volume. Then you can delete or move stuff not required on C to to D. You'll need 10GB free at least to run the Windows upgrade coming next month.

You can relocate Documents, Downloads, Pictures etc to D by right clicking and selecting the "Location" tab. Some programs ignore this but it may be worth doing anyway.

Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10
    Downloads Folder - Move Location in Windows 10
    Music Folder - Move Location in Windows 10
    etc

It is possible to Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 which moves everything but this isn't the ideal solution for an existing install.

Most games will install on separate drive so 120GB for C should be ample for Windows, Office and other programs.

7. stgermain Win User
    Thanks for all your help. I ended up copying secondary systems to my D: drive, then deleting them from C:.

stgermain, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space - Similar Threads - Drive Full Drive

2. C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?: I just need help in managing the C and D drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-is-full-d-drive-is-empty-why-how-do-i/67e0bbf3-3418-4a24-b4b9-2e4f6402e0f4
  3. I need to allocate space from my d drive to my c drive c drive full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need to allocate space from my d drive to my c drive c drive full: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need help to move the space to the c drive please. Any suggestions? Thank you....
  4. I need to allocate space from my d drive to my c drive c drive full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to allocate space from my d drive to my c drive c drive full: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need help to move the space to the c drive please. Any suggestions? Thank you....
  5. I need to allocate space from my d drive to my c drive c drive full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. C: Drive full D: Drive Empty

C: Drive full D: Drive Empty: Hello, I recently noticed my pc freezing and crashing and I believe it is due to me running out of storage. I found another thread which said that I should shrink/delete the empty drive and then extend the other but when I try to extend it the button is grayed out. Any help...
  7. C drive almost full but D drive has lots of space!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C drive almost full but D drive has lots of space!: Hi, I would like to know if I can move "Users" from the C drive to the D drive as the C drive is almost full and I have lots of space on the D drive?...
  8. C: Drive almost full but d rive empty

C: Drive almost full but d rive empty: The c drivie was full and my d drive was empty, when i tried to download something it said i dont have any more storage but my d drive did. i dont know how to change the files to go to the d drive...
  9. C drive full, D drive empty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C drive full, D drive empty: My C drive has 103 GB while my D drive has 931 GB, meanwhile the C drive is where everything is installed and the D drive is basically empty (924 GB free). This doesn't make any sense. How do I get my C drive to have all the space that my D drive has?...
  10. Computer running slow, C drive almost full, D drive empty

Computer running slow, C drive almost full, D drive empty: I've been researching and there's a lot of different solutions. Would appreciate a more specific solution, don't want to mess anything up. Here's a shot of my Disk Management. I'm wondering if I can have the operating system run on C and move other files/programs to D. Or...