Windows 10: Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by druekberg, Jan 5, 2018.

1. druekberg Win User

Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

How to: Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10

How to Move Your Downloads Folder Location in Windows 10

By default, Windows stores your personal Downloads folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink").

In addition, most web browsers will save downloads to your Downloads folder by default.

You can change where files in this Downloads folder are stored to another place on the hard drive, another drive, or another computer on the network.

This tutorial will show you how to move the default location of your Downloads folder to where you want in Windows 10.

*Warning It is highly recommended to create a system image backup first to make it easy to undo if you were to make a mistake in the steps below.

Here's How:

1. If you haven't already, you will need to create a new folder named Downloads at the location (ex: "E:" ) you want to move your personal Downloads folder to. (see screenshot below)

Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E), right click on your Downloads folder, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

*note If you don't see the Downloads folder in This PC, then you can also click/tap on the icon in the address bar of File Explorer, type shellMove Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 :Downloads into the address bar, and press Enter to open your Downloads folder no matter where it may be located.

You can then right click or press and hold on an empty area in your Downloads folder, and click/tap on Properties.

3. Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Move button. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select the Downloads folder at the location (ex: "E:\Downloads" ) from step 1, and click/tap on Select Folder. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location. (see screenshot below)

7. Your personal Downloads folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location (ex: "E:\Downloads" ). (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

druekberg, Jan 5, 2018
  2. laudablepus, Jan 5, 2018
  3. Downloads Folder has merged with The Desktop folder

I accidentaly moved the folder location of the Downloads folder to the location of the Desktop folder, now they are both have the same files, name, icon, and folder location.

If i try to move anything from the Downloads folder, it gets moved from the Desktop folder too and vice versa.

I have tried to Change the folder location of the Downloads folder back, but it changes the folder location of the Desktop too

Yosef Ahmed, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello druekberg, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You'll need to change the drive letter of the external backup drive to another letter than "L" or "K" first.

Next change the partition's drive letter from "K" back to "L" for Windows to be able to find the paths again.

If the backup drive must stay as "L", then after the above, move your folder back to "C" temporarily, sort the drive letters how you want them, then move the folder to where you want it.

Brink, Jan 5, 2018
  5. druekberg Win User
    Okay, that makes sense, and seems the simplest solution. Thanks for the lightning-fast reply!

druekberg, Jan 5, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Move Location of Downloads Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Location Downloads

2. Can't move folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move folder location: Hi, I recently sync with Onedrive. When I noticed that all my onedrive folders mixed with my local documents on my PC, I unlinked it and uninstalled it. >However, my documents folder is now C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents. >I clicked on restore default button which is the...
  3. Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Music Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Music Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Music folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Music...
  4. Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Videos Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Videos Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Videos folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this Videos...
  5. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this...
  6. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Documents folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in...
  7. Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Desktop Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Desktop Folder Location in Windows 10 The desktop is the main screen area that you see after you turn on your PC and sign in to Windows. Like the top of an actual desk, it serves as a surface for...
  8. Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Favorites Folder Location in Windows 10 Your favorites from Internet Explorer are saved into your Favorites folder. By default, Windows stores your personal Favorites folder in your account's...
  9. Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Searches Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Searches Folder Location in Windows 10 If you regularly search for certain files in Windows, then you could save the search criteria as a Saved Search to be able to quickly access and perform your...
  10. Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 [img] Information The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles...