Windows 10: Can I change my user name?

Discus and support Can I change my user name? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My Win7 laptop developed a problem when trying to access the Internet. The local support firm determined it was a virus and said they could track it... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Vention Lad, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Can I change my user name?

My Win7 laptop developed a problem when trying to access the Internet. The local support firm determined it was a virus and said they could track it down, but it could take some time. Because I have all of my personal data backed up and time is money, I said forget that - wipe the HD and install Win10. I needed to get 'up-to-date' anyway.

When I got my machine back the username had been set up as [Davis F]. This is what appeared at startup login. I wanted to (and have) changed this to [Fred]. I can't remember if I just edited [Davis F] or set up a new user. I think I must have edited it as I can only see one user - [Fred]. However, I can't find a way to edit [Fred] now, so I am confused.

All seemed fine until I installed EaseUS backup and wanted to set up an automated routine. The only way I could get this to work was to say the user wanting to do this was [Davis F]. Looking through the registry I can find numerous references to [Davis F] and a fewer number for [Fred].

I am also finding that I [Fred] don't seem to have administration rights despite my account saying that I have. e.g. I have installed iTunes, but now want to uninstall it. When I try to, I am told that I do not have the rights to 'msiexec'.

Have I broken some serious rule here regarding the name of the user that installed Win10?

Any comments/observations would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I am considering reformatting and starting again. Something I don't really want to do!

:)

Vention Lad, Jul 21, 2017

2. How can I change my primary user?

How can I change the primary user in Windows 10?

GilbertBohuslav, Jul 21, 2017
  3. how can I change my user account

I do appreciate all of the help that I receive from Microsoft/Windows. Your answer to

my question was exactly right. It fixed my problem right up. I do appreciate your being

so prompt, and apologize for myself being so slow in replying.

Thank You so very much.

JudyLLister, Jul 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can I change my user name?

Brink, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Hi Brink,

Thanks for the tutorial, I now remember this is what I used to change the account originally.

I have changed the name back to [Davis F]. It has made no difference to the issues I have (I didn't really expect it to). The account is 'local', 'administrator' and 'password protected'.

This might be off topic, but can you explain why, if I had enough rights to install iTunes I don't have enough rights to uninstall it. As the only user of this PC, why does Win10 keep harassing me for more rights if I am the administrator?

Regards.

Vention Lad, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I change my user name?

1. Can I change my user name? - Similar Threads - change user name

2. how can i change my user name ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i change my user name ?: How can i change this Name ? whenever i logged in by Microsoft Acccount, user name showing "saifm".i want to keep only "Saif" not "saifm". i want to keep this change permanently. Like, whenever I log in, my username should show "Saif"...
  3. how can i change my user name ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i change my user name ?: How can i change this Name ? whenever i logged in by Microsoft Acccount, user name showing "saifm".i want to keep only "Saif" not "saifm". i want to keep this change permanently. Like, whenever I log in, my username should show "Saif"...
  4. Can I change my user name as used by WIN10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I change my user name as used by WIN10: A while back I bought a Surface pro and set it up to start, using my Hotmail.com account. Foolishly, with hindsight, I called myself iande (instead of ian) when setting up. For security the surface pro looks at me (my eyes?), recognises me as the administrator and welcomes me...
  5. How can i change that user name?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i change that user name?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/paavozi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lsduav/how_can_i_change_that_user_name/
  6. Can I change name of user folder,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I change name of user folder,: When I installed windows I didn't want to create a microsoft account so instead I made one with my phone number, my User flmder is now just a bunch of numbers, I changed my username, that didn't change the folders name tho, can it be changed? submitted by /u/BLiIxy [link]...
  7. How Can I Change User Account Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Can I Change User Account Name: My computer was sent in for repair. Part of the solution was to completely reinstall Windows 10 (Home). The default administrator account was named User. I would like to change this to my name. How do I do this?...
  8. How can I change the user's name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the user's name?: How can I change the user's mane on my laptop? From the initial installation it simply inserted my email and I simply can't find the way to change the name what appears when I open my laptop....
  9. How can I change the name of my User folder?

How can I change the name of my User folder?: Usually, Windows gives me an option to name my account. In 10, it just uses a shortened name of my Microsoft Account username/email address. Is there a way to change it without messing up my system? Thanks. I did use the netplwiz run command to change the account name, but...
  10. Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder

Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder: Hi somehow the name on my user/xxxx folder was entered incorrectly when my OS was installed, I think. Is it possible to correct it? Thanks Daniel 75608