Windows 10: How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Discus and support How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Williams, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Williams Win User

How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

How to: How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

How to Check if User is a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

You can sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or a Microsoft account.

This tutorial will show you how to check if a user account in Windows 10 is either a local account or a Microsoft account.

How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Microsoft account vs Local account

Local account
    A local account is a user name and password that you use to sign in to only a single Windows PC. This is the same type of user account that was used in Vista and Windows 7.

See also: Local Accounts (Windows 10)
    • You have to create a user name and account for each PC you use.
    • While not recommended, you can remove the password if you like
    • You'll need a Microsoft account to download apps from the Store, but you can set it up later.
    • Your settings won't be synced across the PCs that you use.
    Microsoft account
    A Microsoft account is an email address and password that you can use to sign in to Microsoft services and all Windows 8/10 PCs and devices.

See also: Microsoft Accounts (Windows 10)

Some benefits:
    • Free.
    • Password cannot be removed since it is required, but you can change the password.
    • Access, save, share, and sync all of your documents, music, photos, and videos from OneDrive (aka: the cloud) on all PCs and devices that you sign in with the same Microsoft account.
    • Download, install, and restore apps from the Windows Store.
    • Get your online content in Microsoft apps automatically.
    • Sync your personal settings across all PCs and devices that you sign in to with the same Microsoft account.
    • Two-step verification to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account.
    • You can set limits for how and when your child uses their Microsoft account. Monitoring their activity so you teach them online safety skills.
    • Jot down a note in OneNote. Next time you sign in to a device (doesn’t even have to be the same one) you'll be right back to where you left off, no matter where you were, or the device used last time.
    • Your Microsoft account keeps track of your Xbox Music Pass collection and playlists, syncing across your tablet, PC, phone, and your Xbox console.
    • Use your Windows Phone as a controller for your Xbox console when you're signed in with the same Microsoft account.
    • You can Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Check if You are Signed in with a Microsoft account or Local account in Settings
    • Option Two: Check if You are Signed in with a Microsoft account or Local account in Control Panel
    • Option Three: Check if any User is a Microsoft account or Local account in Control Panel
    • Option Four: Check if Users are a Microsoft account or Local account in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Check if You are Signed in with a Microsoft account or Local account in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Your info on the left side. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow If you see an email address under your user name on the right side with Manage by Microsoft account and Sign in with a local account instead links under it, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account.

*Arrow If you see an email address under your user name on the right side with Manage by Microsoft account and Stop signing in to all Microsoft apps automatically links under it, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a local account, but will be automatically signed in to all Microsoft Store apps and websites with your Microsoft account.

*Arrow If you see the words Local Account under your user name on the right side with a Sign in with a Microsoft account instead link under it, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a local account.

OPTION TWO [/i] Check if You are Signed in with a Microsoft account or Local account in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Look at your user account box on the right side. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow If you see an email address under your user name, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account.

*Arrow If you see the words Local Account under your user name, then you are signed in to Windows 10 with a local account.

OPTION THREE [/i] Check if any User is a Microsoft account or Local account in Control Panel

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. Look at each user account box. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow If you see an email address under the user name, then the user account is a Microsoft account.

*Arrow If you see the words Local Account under the user name, then the user account is a local account.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Check if Users are a Microsoft account or Local account in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Show only enabled accounts)
    *Arrow Get-LocalUser | Where-Object { $_.Enabled -match "True"} | Select-Object Name,PrincipalSource

OR

(Show all accounts)
    *Arrow Get-LocalUser | Select-Object Name,PrincipalSource
    3. You will now see the name of user accounts and if they are a Microsoft account or local account.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Williams, Apr 13, 2015

2. Could someone tell me if this account is local or a Microsoft account?

I added in the images to the original post.

259ecd95-a619-43e4-a529-2fb104a1bcdf, Apr 13, 2015
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Could someone tell me if this account is local or a Microsoft account?

Hi,

Somehow, we are unable to view your screenshots on that site. Could you attach the screenshot here on this thread? You can attach a picture to your replies by clicking the picture icon

We'll be looking forward for your reply.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Apr 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm not sure I would consider a Microsoft account requiring a password for improved security a disadvantage though.

Brink, Apr 13, 2015
  5. Williams Win User
    For improved security, its not a disadvantage. I agree with you.

I mean that is not practical (at least for me) to enter password everytime i turn on my pc. And automatic sign in, is not a solution with many user accounts.

Williams, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Tell if Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Tell Local Account

2. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead because i want to use a local account...
  3. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  4. how to connect microsoft account to local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to connect microsoft account to local account: i have an activated win 10 license that is connected to my account but i don't want to use my phone every time i log in since i use 2 factor authentication and always asks me to log in to my pc and i want to use an actual password instead...
  5. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account: I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I have two laptops that I causally use for specific tasks. One of them I just picked up, while the other I've had for a few...
  6. How to remove a Microsoft account associated with a local account on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove a Microsoft account associated with a local account on Windows 10: I believe this problem is the same as the one described here:How to change email associated with Windows 10 user account? - Microsoft CommunityHowever, I don't believe that the answers understood the problem, so I am trying again with this question. Both my PC and laptop are...
  7. Local Account / Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local Account / Microsoft Account: I have a desktop & a laptop and on both the devices I have logged in with my Microsoft account, but unlike my desktop when I login to my laptop, it makes me sign with a password not a pin which I had setup myself in Settings>Sign-in options>Password. To remove this I simply...
  8. Local account to microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Local account to microsoft account?: So my microsft account is linked with a activated windows theres no problem with that. I built a pc and before installing windows with a local account i have some question. I know you can log in with your microsoft account after seting it up with a local account but will the...
  9. How to convert local account to Microsoft account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to convert local account to Microsoft account?: I want to convert a local account on my PC running Windows 10 Home to Microsoft account. The system is always asking me to enter the password though I have entered my e-mail and Microsoft password. I entered the Microsoft password for the second time but The password you...
  10. Microsoft account or local account ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...