Windows 10: Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder

Discus and support Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi somehow the name on my user/xxxx folder was entered incorrectly when my OS was installed, I think. Is it possible to correct it? Thanks... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by daniellouwrens, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder

Hi

somehow the name on my user/xxxx folder was entered incorrectly when my OS was installed, I think.

Is it possible to correct it?

Thanks

Daniel

:)

daniellouwrens, Jan 22, 2017

2. How can I change the name of the user folder in Windows 10

Thank you. I appreciate that there are reasons for preventing a casual change to the user name folder but am staggered that in this day and age nobody has come up with a tool or app to do this or that Microsoft does not have a download to address this
    as I suspect this occurs quite frequently especially as the log in directions during the installation process are so poor. It looks like I am going to have to re-install Windows 10 again as I do not want duplicate account folders on the pc, but thanks again
    for your response.

JohnLonghurst1, Jan 22, 2017
  3. How can I change the name of the user folder in Windows 10

I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my daughter's pc. During the installation process it asked me to sign on to my Microsoft account which I foolishly did and so after the installation the user account was set up in my name which I did not want. I
    have changed the user account to local in my daughter's name but cannot change the user folder name to hers. I read somewhere that it is impossible to change the user folder name without re-installing the OS again but that cannot be right because that would
    be an idiotic and utterly stupid limitation to build into the OS, so can someone tell me the proper way of doing this so I can return her pc to her.

JohnLonghurst1, Jan 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder

The only way to get your desired username under the \Users folder is to create a local account (not a MS account) and assign that local account the username that you want to appear under \Users. Then you can convert that account to a MS account login and the folder under \Users will not change. After you copy all the data files (documents, videos, etc.) from the old user account to the new user account, you can delete the old user account.

If you are going to do that, don't forget to change the new account you create to administrator.

Option three:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option1

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2017
  5. Hi

Thanks for the info, I'll have a proper look in a couple of weeks,
    I have to go to work most days.

Cheers

Daniel

daniellouwrens, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder

1. Can I change the name on my user/xxxx folder - Similar Threads - change name user

2. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  3. How can I change my user profile folder name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change my user profile folder name?: Just got a new HP laptop with Win 11 home pre-installed. Before I had a Surface Pro 4. I bought a Seagate 2 TB drive for backup and file transfer. My Surface user profile name was JoeM c:\users\JoeM. When I set up the new laptop, Windows automatically set my user profile name...
  4. Can I change name of user folder,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I change name of user folder,: When I installed windows I didn't want to create a microsoft account so instead I made one with my phone number, my User flmder is now just a bunch of numbers, I changed my username, that didn't change the folders name tho, can it be changed? submitted by /u/BLiIxy [link]...
  5. Change the name of my user folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of my user folder: Is it possible to change the name of my user folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-name-of-my-user-folder/2d7e3d7a-ed14-4026-8a68-31475cc8e2a4
  6. I changed my user folder name

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I changed my user folder name: I thought I hadn't changed any important file names but when I try to open my explorer folder i get "no mapping between account names and security ids" I was trying a method that included typing "RSOP.msc " into the run but then it said "windows cannot find rsop.msc...
  7. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. Can I change my user name?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I change my user name?: My Win7 laptop developed a problem when trying to access the Internet. The local support firm determined it was a virus and said they could track it down, but it could take some time. Because I have all of my personal data backed up and time is money, I said forget that -...
  9. How can I change the name of my User folder?

How can I change the name of my User folder?: Usually, Windows gives me an option to name my account. In 10, it just uses a shortened name of my Microsoft Account username/email address. Is there a way to change it without messing up my system? Thanks. I did use the netplwiz run command to change the account name, but...
  10. Changing my USERS folder name

Changing my USERS folder name: Windows 10 currently on the Fall Creators update. When I got my new notebook, I was having a problem with the Windows Store. A Microsoft tech determined that my user profile was messed up, added a new account, and deleted the problematic one. all was good. The problem...