Windows 10: Can I STOP Forced Update?

Discus and support Can I STOP Forced Update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Before you say I should read the tutorials, I already did. *Wink I have made the changes to only notify me of updates...like the Tuesday ones. It does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MPSAN, Jun 18, 2016.

1. MPSAN Win User

Can I STOP Forced Update?

Before you say I should read the tutorials, I already did. *Wink
    I have made the changes to only notify me of updates...like the Tuesday ones. It does do this, but I wait a few days to download and install them to be sure there are no issues reported.

Here is what happens though. If I wait too many days...like 'til Saturday, I can be using my system and then get a popup saying that I need updates and it will not let me do anything else until I download and install them. Sometimes this can take a while when I only turned the system on to do a quick check on something. Can I avoid this?

:)

MPSAN, Jun 18, 2016

2. How can I stop Windows 10 forced security update breaking my computer?

I can't do anything now, it won't turn on or shut down, it's been stuck in an update loop for nearly 24 hours!

Can I STOP Forced Update? [​IMG]

DonnaCheltenham, Jun 18, 2016
  3. Louie Del Win User
    How can I stop Windows 10 forced security update breaking my computer?

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, it seems like we need to reset the update by manually removing or deleting the update components. Here are the steps that you can follow:

• Restart the device multiple times or use a bootable USB media to access the
      Windowsrecovery environment. To create a USB boot media, you can follow the steps by
      community MVP Andre Da Costa on his Forum Article.
    • Under Advanced options on the recovery environment, select
      Windows Startup Settings
    • Select Restart.
    • Wait until the device will restart, and then press F4 to reboot in
      Safe Mode.
    • Once you're in the safe mode environment, navigate to the folder path below:

This PC > Local Disk C:\ > Windows > WinSxS

Note:
      Before we proceed, set the folder permission to Everyone on WinSxS folder. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click on the WinSxS folder and select Properties

2. Under the Security tab, select Edit >
      Add

3. In the Enter the object names to select box, type Everyone and click
      OK to add it on the list .

4. Once added, click Everyone and ensure all the check boxes are ticked under
      Permissionfor Everyone.

5. Select Advanced, and click on the Change link under
      Permission tab to grant permission to the folder.

6. In the Enter the object names to select box, type Everyone and click
      OK.

7. The Replace owner on subcontainers and objects box will appear. Ensure to tick the box.

8. Click Apply.

9. On the same window, click on the Auditing tab.

10. Click on the Select a principal link. Type Everyone and click
      OK.

11. Under Basic permission, check the Full Control box and click
      OK.

12. Click Apply and then OK.

13. Restart the device if prompted, and then boot again in Safe Mode and access
      WinSXS by repeating steps 1 to 5.
    • As soon as you've gained access to the folder, locate the pending.xml file and delete it.
    • Restart the device and check if it now boots properly. If yes, download and run the update troubleshooter found on the
      link provided in the previous post.

• If the troubleshooter didn't find any errors, reset the Windows
      Update components by following the steps provided on this
      support article
    • Once you're done, run the Windows Update again and check it installs properly.

Let us know if you have other concerns that we can assist you with.

Louie Del, Jun 18, 2016
  4. Can I STOP Forced Update?

You should read the correct tutorials *Tongue

Ethernet Connection - Set as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows Update - Defer Upgrades in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    and
    Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Jun 19, 2016
  5. cv007 Win User
    If you want real control, disable Windows update service. Whenever you want, enable Windows update service, check for updates, install, then disable Windows update service again. All other settings seem to be treated as just suggestions.

Nothing like wanting to do a quick reboot and find out Windows wants to install some updates that will take who knows how long (or will fail in some way), or leaving your pc unattended, only to come back and find Windows decided to reboot/install updates (everything you had open is now gone).

cv007, Jun 19, 2016
  6. Subscribe to Security Notifications from Microsoft, so you can disable WU altogether instead of Notifying, which requires it to be running. Then use Windows Update MiniTool to check and download updates.

TairikuOkami, Jun 19, 2016
  7. MPSAN Win User
    Thank you all. I will see what the best method will be for me.

MPSAN, Jun 20, 2016
  8. Can I STOP Forced Update?

I agree, however I have heard that doing this causes problems when you do re-enable Windows Update Service...
    Some posters here on TenForums and others have said that when you re-enable WU service after an extended period of time it seems to not work again.

Also I believe that if you use Windows Defender built in malware protection it stops those updates from being installed automatically which you really do want and they usually occur daily or ever other day, and are short quick updates.

Can anyone chime in and address my concerns?*Think

legacy7955, Jun 20, 2016
  9. cv007 Win User
    I have Windows updates disabled by disabling the service only (I have done this since XP), Windows Defender stays up to date all by itself (not sure who would make something like an antivirus dependent on another service for its updates, but it would be believable that Microsoft would do that).

When I'm willing to give up a (potential) few hours to do updates, I enable the service, check for updates/install until no more found, disable the service and go back to what I was doing.

I also use non-MS browsers that keep themselves up to date, so am not concerned at all about any potential 'security' issues from not doing the Windows updates on their schedule.

cv007, Jun 21, 2016
  10. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Windows Insider tells me on Microsoft Community that I can schedule updates.
    Comments.....?

Thema:

Can I STOP Forced Update?

1. Can I STOP Forced Update? - Similar Threads - STOP Forced Update

2. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop forcing the Windows update: I've just lost a day of work you ******* ********. This has been a problem for long enough to be certain that you don't care, that you just wamćnt to have it it your way. So here I am, just making it known that you are still causing people problems with this.I even friggin...
  3. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop forcing the Windows update: I've just lost a day of work you ******* ********. This has been a problem for long enough to be certain that you don't care, that you just wamćnt to have it it your way. So here I am, just making it known that you are still causing people problems with this.I even friggin...
  4. Stop forcing the Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Stop forced updates on Windows

Stop forced updates on Windows: Hi, we are using windows on machines and the forced updates are most of the time not and a good timing to stop machines and are interfering our software. How can I stop windows to send me forced updates not with normal disabling it in windows or how can I schedule it myself...
  6. Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates: Hey ya' all. I've been trying to stop these annoying updates. I think I've managed to whip office off the system (so maybe word wont open itself for no reason in a few months). Next, I'd like to stop these forced updates. I find them kind of invasive and would prefer things...
  7. Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stopping the Annoying Forced Updates: Hey ya' all. I've been trying to stop these annoying updates. I think I've managed to whip office off the system (so maybe word wont open itself for no reason in a few months). Next, I'd like to stop these forced updates. I find them kind of invasive and would prefer things...
  8. stop forced updates

stop forced updates: Every time Windows updates my computer it messes up everything! I get so frustrated I want just shut it down and dump it. I don't want anymore updates installed but they are forced. I don't use this computer for anything but a few games I let my grandchildren play and some...
  9. How to stop forced updates

How to stop forced updates: How do I stop microsoft from forcing updates unto my pc because I had 212 gb of storage and now I have only less than 50 gb left. I want to sue them severely for forcing their stupid updates on me because it's piss in me of. If they don't stop I will find someway to sue...
  10. Is there a way to stop forced update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to stop forced update?: After the last forced update, my office 2010 did not work. I reverted back, and all is fine, but no matter what I do, the update automatically starts again. Since this one is a security update, I can’t stop it from happening. The only thing I have been able to do to stop...