Windows 10: Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Discus and support Cannot eject safely an external USB drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Motim, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Hello,
    Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition.
    On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file.
    Nothing was written to the drive yet. Then I wanted to eject it, but right-click in the file explorer was not the option 'eject', so I opened the 'show hidden icons' and cliced on 'safely remove/eject' the drive, got a notice as on attached screenshot.
    Disabled AVG antivirus, Ccleaner monitoring, File indexing, still could not eject it.
    In devices and printers tried to remove the drive - failed, ran troubleshooter, it fixed some problem, again tried to eject safely, still warning from the system.
    Finally had to shut down the computer to disconnect the drive.
    Is the 'autorun.inf' file creating the trouble ?
    I do not intend to use the program "WD Smartware pro trial" it is not installed, this is only the installer, can I delete both the installer and the 'autorun.inf'.
    After I overcome this problem, I want to re-partition the drive
    So here I ask for your help, please.
    Cannot eject safely an external USB drive [​IMG]

Thanks

:)

Motim, Feb 28, 2017

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Feb 28, 2017
  3. CF1234 Win User
    I Am Unable to Safely Remove My USB External Hard Drive

Hi,

More often than not (around 19/20) when I try to safely remove my external USB hard drive, I am unable to do so.

In order to safely remove it I:

1. click on the up arrow in the bottom right of the screen to show hidden icons.

2. click on Eject Expansion Desk.

3. then a popup appears saying there is a problem ejecting the hard drive. (See image attached).

So, how can I safely remove my external USB hard drive? It is plugged into my laptop, and my laptop is no longer portable as I cannot move it as the hard drive is connected, and cannot be safely ejected.

Also, when I go to File Explorer and right click on the hard drive, there is no option to Eject. So, this is not an alternative option to safely remove it.

My laptop is using Windows 10.

Thanks for your help.

CF1234, Feb 28, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

You can certainly delete everything on the drive and reformat it.

Try turning off autoplay AutoPlay - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

I find it is generally indexing and so I don't worry about. Other things (Task Manager, Resource Monitor, File Explorer etc) will also lock the drive and it isn't always obvious.

Worst case (if you know you aren't doing anything with the disk) you can download Sync.exe from Microsoft. Run that and you can then just unplug it anyway as it will make sure everything is written to the disk. I use it for my docking station as it does the same sometimes.

5. Motim Win User
    Hello and thanks for the answer,
    While more diging into the internet I found (in some answer) this program "USBDiskEjector (1.3.0.4).zip", as said it is portable.
    And I am thinking this: Since the disk has not any data on, and I will not use the program installer on it, and if the small mentioned program fails, with the system's 'storage management' tool delete the whole partition, and reformat (NTFS) the disk.
    I would like to have your opinion about that portable program (if you know)
    Thanks again

Motim, Feb 28, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    I don't know the USBDiskEjector program but it looks perfectly reputable.

You can certainly format the disk whole disk NTFS - that is what I'd do.

7. I also get that message once in a while, but only on 1 of the 2 Win10 systems that I have and it occurs on any one of my many external USB drives. On the W10 Pro system, I never get that message no matter what software I run against it. On the W10 Home system, its intermittent. Some times I get that message and sometimes I don't. I have noticed that if I only read from the device, it happens every time. If some where along the line I write to that device, that message never happens. But that sequence will never fail on the W10 Pro system.

All settings for USB drives are set the same on both systems. I've monitored via "Process Monitor" and have verified that the file that was in use was closed, and there is nothing else accessing that drive. Since I can't find the problem, I have chalked it up to another infamous windows 10 bug.

storageman, Feb 28, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

No, you can't eject hard drives from File Explorer. This is normal behaviour because an external hard drive is not classed as 'removable media'. A USB memory stick is, but a USB HDD isn't.

The error message that you saw is caused by anything that may have the hard drive open - even a command prompt is sufficient. Task Manager can also prevent ejecting hard drives. It shows statistics for them on its 'Performance' tab same as it does for all other hard drives. Using Process Monitor may well have the same effect.

Close everything that may possibly be using the drive and try ejecting again.

9. Bree New Member
    You can format the existing partition from File Explorer. If you want to delete any existing partitions and create your own from scratch, use Disk Management.

10. Winuser Win User
    Very rarely does Safely Remove Hardware work for me when I try to remove my external drives. If I know for sure that nothing is accessing the drives I just unplug them. Works for me but YMMV.

Winuser, Feb 28, 2017
  11. I randomly get the same "unsafe" message for USB flash drives, too. Wait a minute or two, then just yank it out.

Comp Cmndo, Mar 1, 2017
  12. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    This is still a problem.
    In settings turned off auto play, on the usb drive removed that WD software and reformated the whole partition, even tried to stop AVG antivirus (unpluged the internet).
    Stopped CCleaner, file explorer, even ran that small "usb disk ejector" - nothing worked.
    In 'devices & printers' tried to remove the external drive - failed.
    To disconnect the drive safely had to shut down the computer.
    Is there something else to do ?
    Answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks

Motim, Mar 1, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

I have no problems ejecting external drives (apart from closing any apps that may be using the drive). You don't need any extra 'tools'. Just use the 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' icon in the notification area. If you don't see it there when your drive is attached, click the ^ symbol to show the hidden icons, then click and drag it onto the notification area.

Well, I always make sure my drives are set for the default of 'Quick removal'.
    Disk Write Caching - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

I right-click on my external drives in File Explorer, select Properties and turn off 'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed...'.

I also like to turn off the Recycle bin for external drives.
    Recycle Bin - Permanently Delete Files in Windows 10

14. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Try this:
    Create a new folder on the drive, then delete the folder. Then go to the Recycle Bin and Empty it.
    Now click on the USB Safely Remove symbol in the task bar and select Eject (your external drive).

This is a long shot, but quick and easy and may work if you are having a problem similar to one I had. I'll add more if this does anything.

15. Motim Win User
    Hello,
    Thanks for the answer - I tried this, no luck. I click on the "Rject safely.....", but windows refuses,
    what I do now - double click on the portable utility, and when the light on the external drive flickers, I pull out the plug.
    I even tried to remove the drive from 'devices & printers' - failed, ran troubleshooter - found nothing.

Motim, Mar 2, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive - Similar Threads - Cannot eject safely

2. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  3. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: In case anyone is still having this problem, a simple solution that worked for me is to restart Windows Explorer from task manager.That's it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/d936ef04-76a6-4a39-a96f-9c64e0de8eec
  4. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  6. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: Again I'm opening a new thread because the original one has been locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-safe-eject-usb-drive/b7f4e780-3dce-4bfd-a669-b61613e244ffWhat is the point of locking threads that haven't been solved? Why can't I...
  7. Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive

Windows 10 cannot "Safe Eject" USB drive: I am unable to "Safe Eject" my USB drive. Windows 10 tells me it cannot eject because programs are using it. I quit all programs and still it will not eject. If I log out completely and then log back in it STILL will not eject. I have to shut down the computer...
  8. EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY

in Windows 10 Customization
    EJECTING EXTERNAL DRIVE SAFELY: When I try to eject the external drive from my laptop, I get the following message: "This device is currently in use. Close any program or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." I tried to clear the message by checking over and over if any program or...
  9. Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive

Cannot safely eject Seagate usb Expansion Drive: I got my new Seagate 2 TB Expansion Drive and made the first image of my new laptop (running Win 10 anniversary build) using Macrium Reflect. All went well, and I closed Macrium, then attempted to eject the external drive from the notification area. I consistently got an...
  10. Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Cannot eject safely usb external drive: Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to...