Windows 10: Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10 How to Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by danw700, Apr 12, 2017.

1. danw700 Win User

Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10

How to: Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10

How to Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10

The Recycle Bin provides a safety net when deleting files or folders. When you delete any of these items from your hard disk, Windows places it in the Recycle Bin and the Recycle Bin icon changes from empty to full.

If you have multiple hard drives, partitions, or an external hard drive connected to your PC, each location will have its own $Recycle.Bin and Recycle Bin settings. Removable drives, such as USB flash drives and memory cards, will not have a Recycle Bin. Files deleted from removable drives are permanently deleted.

When a user deletes a file, it's usually moved to their Recycle Bin so that they can restore the file later if necessary. To permanently remove files from your PC and reclaim any hard disk space the files were using, you need to delete the files from the Recycle Bin. You can delete individual files from the Recycle Bin or empty the entire Recycle Bin at once.

You can choose to bypass the Recycle Bin when you delete something to have it permanently deleted immediately from your PC.

When you select to Don't move file to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted, it will remove the Disk Cleanup button from that drive's properties page. You will still be able to directly open and use Disk Cleanup though.

Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10 [​IMG]

*tip You can permanently delete a file from your computer without sending it to the Recycle Bin by clicking the file and then pressing Shift+Delete.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to have the Recycle Bin permanently remove files immediately when deleted in your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Recycle Bin permanently delete confirmation dialog

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on the Recycle Bin, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. Select the Recycle Bin location for the drive (ex: C ) you want at the top. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you would like to do.

4. Turn On Permanently Delete Files for Selected Recycle Bin Location
    A) Select (dot) Don't move file to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted, click/tap on Apply, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Turn Off Permanently Delete Files for Selected Recycle Bin Location
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Select (dot) Custom size, set the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Repeat step 2 above if you have another Recycle Bin location you want to turn on or off to permanently delete files automatically.

7. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 2)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

danw700, Apr 12, 2017
  2. spudgy Win User

Recycle Bin On Windows 10

When sending items to the Recycle Bin, it permanently deletes the items, I rather have the items temporarily stored in the recycle bin until I decide to permanently delete them. I've check my Recycle Bin properties, and the Custom size: is checked and the
    other option "Don't move filed to the recycle Bin immediately when deleted is NOT checked. I also have the display delete confirmation dialog checked. But when ever I delete something on strictly my computer it gets permanently deleted, what gives? It never
    used to do that?

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings**

spudgy, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 file explorer permanently deletes photos but not other files

When I delete photos in Windows 10 file explorer, they are permanently deleted rather than going to the recycle bin. Other file types are going to the recycle bin. I've looked at recycle bin settings, and the 'permanently delete' option is NOT checked.
    How can I ensure deleted photos go to the recycle bin?

MartinColston, Apr 12, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 12, 2017
  5. danw700 Win User
    Thanks for your reply but in this case changing the recycle bin size to less than 5% does not change the situation. I think it might be to do with the recovery bin that I'm using from the Diskeeper folk. I will try uninstalling that and see if I can get the setting back. When I right click the desktop recycle bin icon and go to properties I don't actually get the choices I have to go to the direct shortcut in explorer in order to right click to get the properties.
    I'll telephone the support of Diskeeper Recovery Bin after Easter and report back.
    Cheers for now, thanks again for your reply,
    Dan

danw700, Apr 13, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I look forward to hearing what they say.

Brink, Apr 13, 2017
  7. omidsolo Win User
    Don't move files to Recycle Bin, where's registry key? *Smile

omidsolo, Nov 27, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It's not practical to set this via registry since each volume is assigned a unique GUID with no easy way of knowing which drive they are for. The NukeOnDelete is the DWORD for this setting.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Set Recycle Bin to Permanently Delete Files Immediately in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Recycle Bin

2. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  3. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  4. Recovering a file that i permanently deleted from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering a file that i permanently deleted from recycle bin: I just deleted an important video file accidentally and emptied my recycle bin about an hour ago. How can I recover that file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovering-a-file-that-i-permanently-deleted-from/6273161c-597e-48a6-917f-733351e1c7ca
  5. Recovering a file that i permanently deleted from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering a file that i permanently deleted from recycle bin: I just deleted an important video file accidentally and emptied my recycle bin about an hour ago. How can I recover that file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovering-a-file-that-i-permanently-deleted-from/6273161c-597e-48a6-917f-733351e1c7ca
  6. Recovering a file that i permanently deleted from recycle bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Delete Photos from recycle bin permanently

Delete Photos from recycle bin permanently: Hi ive got photos of me and my family and i deleted them permanently. Someone said that somone could still recover them with a software is there anyway i can delete them again so they cannot be recovered?...
  8. DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF: HOW CAN I DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE "recycle bin" ITSELF? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-all-files-in-recycle-bin-or-delete-recycle/eb83336a-44d1-47be-b51a-808eb6cbfc16
  9. Recycle Bin ONLY permanently deletes files

Recycle Bin ONLY permanently deletes files: When I delete a file, my only option is permanently deleting. I went into the Recycle Bin settings, and it is not set to permanently delete files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-only-permanently-deletes-files/44bbfd5a-7335-44e4-9bac-3cb9aac73aea
  10. Permanent Deletion of Recycle Bin Contents

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permanent Deletion of Recycle Bin Contents: I have a Bee-link PC running Windows 10, with a SSD Before donating it to someone I would like to permanently erase the Recycle Bin contents if that is possible. I understand that having an SSD it presents difficulties -- could anyone advise me of what software might be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vmware windows 10 registry recycle bin delete files immediately