Windows 10: Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already'

Discus and support Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already' in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I linked my Microsoft account to an admin account on Windows, and then removed it. I shifted over to a new user profile and have tried to link... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Cheng Shon Chow, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already'

Hello,

I linked my Microsoft account to an admin account on Windows, and then removed it. I shifted over to a new user profile and have tried to link to Microsoft, but I always get the message that the email is 'here already' even though I have deleted the old user account and unlinked it / my PC before I deleted. I have checked the registry editor but there are no traces of the Microsoft account. Please help.

:)

Cheng Shon Chow, Mar 29, 2020

2. Windows 8 with 2 Microsoft accounts?

Yea, I would create a local account and just use your school account to login to Outlook and Onedrive.

Edit:

Here switch between local and microsoft account.

Mindweaver, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already' :(

Zakin, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already'

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already' [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already'

1. Cannot link local account to Microsoft account as account 'here already' - Similar Threads - Cannot link local

2. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  3. How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to link a Microsoft Account to a Local Account: I have a very weird scenario and the only thing I can think of is that Microsoft released an update which screwed this all up. Here's my scenario: I have two laptops that I causally use for specific tasks. One of them I just picked up, while the other I've had for a few...
  4. Cannot change Local Account to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot change Local Account to Microsoft Account: I set up my main desktop PC with a local account but have now learned the error of my ways and want to change it to a Microsoft Account. All of the online tutorials say to simply click the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". But that option is not there. Instead it...
  5. Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro: Hi, just installed new PC and have following issue: - I do not see option on account tab to link my local account to Microsoft account ("sing in with Microsoft Account instead") - As note - I can add Microsoft accounts of family members including me. - I also do not see...
  6. Cannot add Microsoft account because "(email address) is already here."

Cannot add Microsoft account because "(email address) is already here.": Hello all, Somehow my computer login got associated with a different Microsoft account than the one I want to use (and that I think I was using originally.) So I switched to a local account then went back to sign in with Microsoft account and get the error "(email address)...
  7. "MS Account" is already here

"MS Account" is already here: I am trying to change my setup from a local user to a MS Account - but when I try to do this I get the following message..."MS Account" is already here, Another user on this device uses this MS Account, so you can't add it here. Background I recently reinstalled Windows...
  8. Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account: Hello, after a Windows Reset i got a message: "you need to fix your microsoft account for apps on your other devices to be able to launch apps" So i deleted and ulinked my Microsoft Account and converted my User as Local User and not a Microsoft Account user. The problem...
  9. Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account

Cannot link Microsoft Account to Local Account: I just updated to Windows 10 and the account I migrated from Windows 7 won't let me link my Microsoft account. Windows Store crashes when I click Sign In, and any other button that would bring up a dialog box is just unresponsive (Cortana, User Settings, ect.) I've created...
  10. Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account

Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account: Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application error with cryptic codes...