Windows 10: Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender

Discus and support Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just did a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. During installation, I set up Windows to put the Users file on my D:\ drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mark Hartry, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender

Just did a clean install of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. During installation, I set up Windows to put the Users file on my D:\ drive (https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/move-users-folder-location-in-windows-10.260/). Everything went smoothly until I did the first update after setting up Windows. When updates were downloaded and installed, I restarted the computer and then tried to open the Security Dashboard to change some settings. The only thing that happens is the cursor starts flashing with an hour glass next to it. This continues until I shutdown the computer and restart.

Checking Event Viewer I found the following:

1) Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
    Old value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection\DpaDisabled = 0x1
    New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection\DpaDisabled = 0x0

2) Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
    Old value: Default\ManagedDefenderProductType = 0x0
    New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\ManagedDefenderProductType = 0x0

3) Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
    Old value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\InstallLocation = C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\
    New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\InstallLocation = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1809.2-0\

4) Windows Defender Antivirus Configuration has changed. If this is an unexpected event you should review the settings as this may be the result of malware.
    Old value: Default\ManagedDefenderProductType = 0x0
    New value: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\ManagedDefenderProductType = 0x0

:)

Mark Hartry, Oct 13, 2018

2. Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

Thanks @Hydrate! Followed Step 3 of Option 2 and rebooted ... problem solved!

I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days and if all stays good, I will mark this thread closed.

elprice7345, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender

Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

When I open Windows Defender Security Center, it opens and then closes itself.

I’m running Windows 10 Home, v1703, with the latest updates.

I run Norton Security as my primary AV & firewall with the latest updates.

I did a system reset in the last couple of months.

I have the latest Defender updates according to: https://www.microsoft.com/security/p...tions/adl.aspx

Defender seems to be functioning, but generating the following errors:

• Event ID 3: The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall.
    • Event ID 16: Error while updating Windows Defender status to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON.
    • Event ID 1000:
    Faulting application name: SecHealthUI.exe, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbce5
    Faulting module name: SecHealthUIDataModel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbc8d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000015b847
    Faulting process id: 0x27f0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f12745cc2b1f
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\SecHealthUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\SecHealthUIDataModel.dll
    Report Id: bcac3ab1-757d-47fb-8d4f-c089173b11e0
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_10.0.15063.0_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: SecHealthUI

I have tried options 3 and 5 in this tutorial: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10. Options 1 and 2 aren’t available to me since the settings window won’t stay open. Option 4 isn’t available for Windows Home.

As I said above, AFAICT, Defender seems to be working, but the Defender Security window won’t stay open and it’s generating a lot of errors.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting and/or fixing this issue?

elprice7345, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender

1. Cannot open Security Dashboard for Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Cannot open Security

2. Windows Security Dashboard won't open properly Windows Security issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Dashboard won't open properly Windows Security issue: Recently my laptop has been infected and security has been tampered with. It would say that Windows Security Service isn't active and when I tried to activate it, it said it can't be opened. I contacted Microsoft support and their advice was to do an in-place upgrade so...
  3. Windows Security Dashboard won't open properly Windows Security issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Dashboard won't open properly Windows Security issue: Recently my laptop has been infected and security has been tampered with. It would say that Windows Security Service isn't active and when I tried to activate it, it said it can't be opened. I contacted Microsoft support and their advice was to do an in-place upgrade so...
  4. Windows Security Dashboard won't open properly Windows Security issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Windows Security Dashboard Won't Open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Windows Security Dashboard Won't Open: I just upgraded to Windows 11, already regretting it. Windows Security Dashboard won't open, Ive tried numerous times, restarted my computer checked for updates and installed any that were available but it still won't open. A Window will pop up like its going to open but then...
  6. Windows 11 Windows Security Dashboard Won't Open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Windows Security Dashboard Won't Open: I just upgraded to Windows 11, already regretting it. Windows Security Dashboard won't open, Ive tried numerous times, restarted my computer checked for updates and installed any that were available but it still won't open. A Window will pop up like its going to open but then...
  7. Can't Open Microsoft Defender Dashboard

Can't Open Microsoft Defender Dashboard: I can't open the Microsoft Defender app. Everytime i open the app via system tray or start menu or via Settings, it shows me this dialog box. The services still running though but only the dashboard is the problem. I don't know what cause of this. Please help!...
  8. Windows Security Dashboard wont open under admin account

Windows Security Dashboard wont open under admin account: When setting up Windows I enable the admin account for elevation purposes, and run my standard account as a 'user'.I've just noticed when I log in to the admin account the Security Dashboard icon shows a yellow exclamation not present when logged as a user and when clicked...
  9. Microsoft Security Dashboard

Microsoft Security Dashboard: Did the Microsoft Security Dashboard format recently change? It looks different while trying to delete browsing history, Location, Data etc. Thanks* Moved from Community Participation Center...
  10. I cannot open the windows defender security center

I cannot open the windows defender security center: I have clicked the security center but does not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-the-windows-defender-security-center/e5b59d72-30db-4155-95f6-d5baefdc2d92"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender antivirus configuration has changed

2. windows security dashboard

3. windows security dashboard opens then closes

4. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection] DpaDisabled,
  5. windows 10 cannot open windows security dashboard,
  6. Windows 10 security dashboard will not open,
  7. windows 10 security dashboard wont open,
  8. Windows defender dpadisabled,
  9. cannot open security dashboard,
  10. security dashboard opens then closed,
  11. windows 10 security dashboard not working