Windows 10: Cannot open start menu

Discus and support Cannot open start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yaqwsx, May 1, 2016.

1. yaqwsx Win User

Cannot open start menu

Hello,

I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked perfectly. Then I wanted to upgrade the build, however due to the relocated User directory, the update failed. So I edited the registry to point back to system drive (HKLM/SW/MS/WinNT/ProfileList), performed the upgrade and then turned the registry back (to the exactly same state as before). I can login, my settings is kept, however the start menu stopped working. I cannot open it anymore. Also notification center sopped working. Yes, if I create new user and relocate my files, it works however it is really annoying procedure (and I am curious whaťs going on - I have tested the even if do the registry change, don't upgrade the system a turn it back, the problem is there again).

Is there some kind of log, to find out why the Start menu doesn't open? What can I try to do to fix it?

EDIT: Looking at Windows event, there are errors that SAService and DgiVecp was not started due to missing file.

:)

yaqwsx, May 1, 2016

2. cannot open start menu

Hi,

I'm using windows 10 and I can't get the start menu to open on my Acer ?

Help ?

thanks

Moved From: Windows / Windows 10 / Ease of access

spartyton123, May 1, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, May 1, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Cannot open start menu

Hello, the start menu, taskbar, Cortana are very sensitive to settings, configuration and changes from Privacy in Settings to language configuration (Cortana).

I have just recently seen the start menu suddenly stop working myself.. just moving windows around on the screen, a sudden momentary flicker, then the Edge icon disappeared and the start menu stopped responding.

There are many threads on these topics.. just search the forum for (e.g.)
    start menu stopped working
    taskbar not responding
    etc

It seems no one is clear as to why, but it is not simple to fix, so it would be of considerable interest to have a better way as many experience this problem.
    An in-place upgrade repair is often recommended. (see tutorial section)

This is why using disk imaging to protect your system, your sanity, your data and save you time is so necessary.

This may be of interest:
    Users Personal Folders - Restore Default Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Several people have encountered various difficulties when relocating user folders, and it's easy to make mistakes in doing so, crosslinking folders and drives or folders and folders.

My view? Avoid them. Leave them alone. I find they contain folders created by programs I install as storage and working space, which to me makes them 'Their folders' !

So I use my own folders on another partition for my data, away from the OS.
    Those could be included in a library if I wished, of course.

With Win 10, it can be a case of 'Curiosity killed the cat'

dalchina, May 1, 2016
Thema:

Cannot open start menu

1. Cannot open start menu - Similar Threads - Cannot open start

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. Cannot open Win Start menu ; Settings, Photo

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open Win Start menu ; Settings, Photo: Hi,I have a similar problem on 3 PCs. Unable to open start menu, cannot open settings, cannot open any photo. Windows 10 - 21H1. On another profile, however, it is possible on the primary, which is also the administrator. After creating a new profile, it worked for about 20...
  5. Cannot open Win Start menu ; Settings, Photo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open Win Start menu ; Settings, Photo: Hi,I have a similar problem on 3 PCs. Unable to open start menu, cannot open settings, cannot open any photo. Windows 10 - 21H1. On another profile, however, it is possible on the primary, which is also the administrator. After creating a new profile, it worked for about 20...
  6. Cannot open Win Start menu ; Settings, Photo

7. Cannot open Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open Start Menu: Hello, I have a problem opening start menu. It doesn't open. Search box does not work or works only sometimes. Any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-start-menu/bf8558fd-65f8-4b66-8c4b-c5ede0b9666c
  8. cannot open the apps on the microsoft start menu .

cannot open the apps on the microsoft start menu .: This is following a system restore. neither can i uninstall them .Urgent ,,,I cant play solitaire -iam hooked on spider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-the-apps-on-the-microsoft-start-menu/0dd3f62b-f7fa-4b95-88aa-8bc19005ed3a
  9. I cannot open start menu and all the setting menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot open start menu and all the setting menu: It seems that all the setting menu crashed after I reset my computer. I clicked the button on the task bar, for instance, Cortana and start, and did not received any response. Nothing was displayed on the screen....
  10. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...