Windows 10: Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar

Discus and support Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Long ago I pinned an Excel file to the Windows 10 taskbar. This means that if I right click on the Excel icon, which is also pinned to the taskbar, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mgreen10, Nov 25, 2019.

1. mgreen10 Win User

Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar

Long ago I pinned an Excel file to the Windows 10 taskbar. This means that if I right click on the Excel icon, which is also pinned to the taskbar, a pop-up list of file names appears with the pinned file at the top.

The pinned file has an "Unpin from this list" icon beside it. If I click on the unpin icon, nothing happens. I tried pinning another Excel file to the taskbar and was able to unpin it. The problem seems to affect only this one file, pinned long ago.

I have Googled and tried many posts for removing a pinned item (file, not an app) from the taskbar. None of them have worked.

How can I unpin this Excel file?

Thanks!

:)

mgreen10, Nov 25, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

The same jumplist shows wherever you right-click on Excel (or any other app that has a jumplist) be that on a tile in Start, pinned to the taskbar or in Start's 'all apps' list.

Right-click on any file name in the jumplist (like your ABC.xls) and you should see options to 'Pin to this list' and 'Remove from this list'. If the file is pinned to the list, you have to unpin it first before you can remove it from the list.

Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar [​IMG]

Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar [​IMG]

*Arrow Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

If that isn't working for you, then it sounds like you'll need to reset the recent items that jumplists show. This will reset ALL jumplists, not just the Excel one, so only reset it if nothing else works.

*Arrow Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

3. Excel on Windows 10 taskbar does not show recent files

Actually, I had the same problem, (with Notepad, Excel, Word, a few others but not all)

1. I deleted the files as suggested by RGera (not sure if that made a difference)

2 Then I unpinned the item from the task bar - I had to go to the Start Menu, Click the right arrow beside the item, click 'More', then 'UpPin from taskbar'

3. Re-pin by doing the last steps from Start Menu, except click 'Pin to Taskbar'

This should work for Excel, Word, or anything.

Cheers, Glen

GrizzlyTech, Nov 25, 2019
  4. simrick Win User

Excel Icon on taskbar does not open file, only program

That's odd. Have you tried unpinning Excel, rebooting and then re-pinning it back to the taskbar?

Here's something you could try:
    Open Ccleaner, in the Cleaner window that opens, in the Windows Tab, uncheck everything except Taskbar Jump Lists. Then go to the second tab Applications, and unselect everything. Then click Analyse, then Run Cleaner.

See if that doesn't help. Of course, you'll have to open all your most-used Excel files once more, to repopulate the MRU list.

simrick, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot unpin an Excel file from the Taskbar - Similar Threads - Cannot unpin Excel

2. Cannot unpin settings from taskbar windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot unpin settings from taskbar windows 11: Title says it all, impossible to unpin Settings from taskbar, doesn't even show icon.Right to unpin doesn't do a thing.The blank spot is Settings, hit unpin as stated, nothing.Thanks....
  3. Cannot unpin settings from taskbar windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot unpin settings from taskbar windows 11: Title says it all, impossible to unpin Settings from taskbar, doesn't even show icon.Right to unpin doesn't do a thing.The blank spot is Settings, hit unpin as stated, nothing.Thanks....
  4. How to excel file to excel on taskbar?

How to excel file to excel on taskbar?: Hi yall,how to I add a file to Excel on the taskbar?See attached for reference.Note that it is not regarding adding a file to the taskbar.Thanks,Carl https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-excel-file-to-excel-on-taskbar/a8d3df39-e783-4cd9-8424-d8bb754062e8
  5. Windows unpins apps from the taskbar

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows unpins apps from the taskbar: Hello,I would like to ask, if there is someone who has a problem with pinned application to taskbar. When I download app from Microsoft Store like Messenger or WhatsApp, I pin it to taskbar. However, when I run the app, it unpins and in Start Menu it shows something like...
  6. Invisible taskbar icons and cannot Unpin from taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Invisible taskbar icons and cannot Unpin from taskbar: I have 2 apps (E-Mail and Edge) in taskbar that doesn't shows icons. It is so annoying that I cannot even Unpin from taskbar. I have done following without helping: * Uninstalled and Installed the app again * Unpined from Startmenu * Deleted %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet...
  7. "Unpin From Taskbar" option is Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    "Unpin From Taskbar" option is Broken: Hi; i say it is broken because when we right-click on Edge and click UnPin, Nothing Happens! I've read posts that say i will have to alter xml files or the like in order to remove Edge from the taskbar; we are not saavy enough to get into that type of fix. This is a bug. Will...
  8. Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu: There's nothing there that links those shortcuts to the jumplist for the app that opens them, that the job of the files in the AutomaticDestinations folder. So what is the purpose of the recent items folder? Where are those shortcut files, folders used?
  9. Cannot Unpin Microsoft Edge & Store Icons From The Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Unpin Microsoft Edge & Store Icons From The Taskbar: Hello there! I purchased and upgraded to Microsoft Windows 10! Finally, right? But anyways, I've spent the last few days customizing all my options and settings that I had back on Windows 8.1. Takes hours to do all that. Got all my settings saved as text with directions....
  10. Can't unpin items from the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin items from the taskbar: I can pin items to the taskbar but when I right click on an item I can't unpin. Only had this problem with 10240. 8606

Users found this page by searching for:

1. CANT UNPIN FROM EXCEL