Windows 10: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

Discus and support Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tony K, May 21, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to: Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

How to Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list.

Jump Lists is a feature that lists app specific tasks or items you can quickly open or get to for every day usage. Jump lists can include recently opened items, frequently opened items, tasks, or websites, in addition to any items that you've pinned. You'll always see the same items in the jump list for a program, regardless of whether you view the list on the Start menu, taskbar, or File Explorer.

On the taskbar, jump lists appear for programs that you've pinned to the taskbar and programs that are currently running.

On the Start menu, jump lists appear for programs that support having a jump list.

In File Explorer, its jump lists also appears in the File tab with pinned and unpinned Frequent places.

This tutorial will show you different ways to pin or unpin items on jump lists of apps for your account in Windows 10.

Note Items you pin or unpin for the jump list of File Explorer will also be pinned or unpinned for Quick access.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Pin Item to Jump List of App on Taskbar
    • Option Two: To Unpin Item from Jump List of App on Taskbar
    • Option Three: To Pin Item to Jump List of App on Start Menu
    • Option Four: To Unpin Item from Jump List of App on Start Menu
    • Option Five: To Pin Item to File Explorer Jump List in File Explorer
    • Option Six: To Unpin Item from File Explorer Jump List in File Explorer
    • Option Seven: To Pin Item to Jump List of Tile on Start Screen
    • Option Eight: To Unpin Item from Jump List of Tile on Start Screen
    EAMPLE: Jump Lists on Start menu

OPTION ONE [/i] To Pin Item to Jump List of App on Taskbar
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to pin an item to the Jump List of an app.

2. Right click or press and hold on app's (ex: File Explorer) icon or button on the taskbar to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on an item you want pinned, and click/tap on Pin to this list. (see screenshot below)

OR
    3. Right click or press and hold on app's (ex: File Explorer) icon or button on the taskbar to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the pin
    icon to right of an item you want pinned. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Unpin Item from Jump List of App on Taskbar
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to unpin an item from the Jump List of an app.

2. Right click or press and hold on app's (ex: File Explorer) icon or button on the taskbar to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on a pinned item, and click/tap on Unpin from this list. (see screenshot below)

OR

3. Right click or press and hold on app's (ex: File Explorer) icon or button on the taskbar to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the unpin
    icon to the right of the item you want to unpin. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Pin Item to Jump List of App on Start Menu
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to pin an item to the Jump List of an app.

2. Open the Start menu, right click or press and hold on app (ex: File Explorer) to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on an item you want pinned, and click/tap on Pin to this list. (see screenshot below)

OR
    3. Open the Start menu, click/tap on the arrow to the right of an app (ex: File Explorer) to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the pin
    icon to the right of the item you want pinned. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Unpin Item from Jump List of App on Start Menu
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to unpin an item from the Jump List of an app.

2. Open the Start menu, right click or press and hold on app (ex: File Explorer) to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on a pinned item, and click/tap on Unpin from this list. (see screenshot below)

OR
    3. Open the Start menu, click/tap on the arrow to the right of an app (ex: File Explorer) to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the unpin
    icon to the right of the item you want to unpin. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Pin Item to File Explorer Jump List in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Click/tap on the File tab, and click/tap on the pin
    icon to the right of an item under Frequent Places you want pinned. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Unpin Item from File Explorer Jump List in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer.
    2. Click/tap on the File tab, and click/tap on the unpin
    icon to the right of an item under Frequent Places you want to unpin. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Pin Item to Jump List of Tile on Start Screen
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to pin an item to the Jump List of an app's tile.

2. Open the Start screen, right click or press and hold on the tile of an app (ex: Xbox) pinned to Start to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on an item you want pinned, and click/tap on Pin to this list. (see screenshot below)

OR
    3. Open the Start screen, right click or press and hold on the tile of an app (ex: Xbox) pinned to Start to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the pin
    icon to the right of the item you want pinned. (see screenshot below)

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Unpin Item from Jump List of Tile on Start Screen
    1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to unpin an item from the Jump List of an app's tile.

2. Open the Start screen, right click or press and hold on the tile of an app (ex: Xbox) pinned to Start to open its Jump List, right click or press and hold on an item you want unpinned, and click/tap on Unpin from this list. (see screenshot below)

OR
    3. Open the Start screen, right click or press and hold on the tile of an app (ex: Xbox) pinned to Start to open its Jump List, and click/tap on the unpin
    icon to the right of the item you want unpinned. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Tony K, May 21, 2017

2. Moving pinned items on Windows 10 taskbar

Thanks for your reply.

Just in case this was a result of a poor description of the problem by me, I will explain in detail.

I have Excel permanently pinned to the taskbar. When I right click the Excel tile, the context menu shows a list of Pinned items at the top and Recent items below that. I believe these are called jump lists.

When I hover over an item on the Pinned list a push pin (), overlaid with a no entry sign (), is displayed to the right of the item.

I can click on the pin to unpin it from the pinned list.

Under Windows 7, I was able to left click on an item in the pinned list and drag it up or down to a different position in the list. This drag and drop functionality has never worked for me under Windows 10. As I noted in my original post,
    the only way to resequence pinned items it to unpin all items then repin in the desired sequence.

Do you know if the drag/drop functionality will be re-introduced in the Windows 10 anniversary update?

davecope22, May 21, 2017
  3. how to keep W7 start menu pinned items when upgrading to W10

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply.

Answer for your question, “Windows 7 ability to pin recent opened items in jump lists is the fastest way to access your most used stuff, is this feature discontinued in W10?” “YES”

You have an option to pin the recent opened items in the jump lists. Windows 10 allows you to display the recent items starting from number 0 to 60. You can choose any number as per your preference and then you will be able to see that number of recent
    items on your Jump Lists. To quickly open any program, you can also use Quick Access on Windows 10.

It shows you the list of lately and repeatedly opened, mostly visited, tasks or pinned items of any pinned program or currently active program on the Taskbar. When you make a right click on any pinned item on the Taskbar or on any running program, you can
    see a list of certain items. Those items are different for files, folders, and websites. The pinned and recent items are visible in case of folders. You are also provided with the facility to pin the recent items. And the Jump Lists of file show you the recently
    used file along with an option to pin them to the taskbar. But the websites have different sections like most visited, recently closed, and tasks.

Note: The number of Jump Lists on windows 10 is 10 by default.

If you are facing issue with jump list/ or you want to have more than 10 jump list to be view on windows 10 after upgrading, I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the settings.
    How to Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Enter into the Settings app from the polished Start Menu.

2. Upon the emergence of the Settings app, click Personalization symbol.

3. Go to the last option on the left column and click Start.

4. The Start on the right pane showcases four option. Read the last one, Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or Taskbar.

5. To Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10, toggle it to On.

6. Now, right click on any opened program on Taskbar and you can see the Jump Lists.

7. On Start Menu, click on the arrow next to the program and its displays you the Jump Lists.

8. If you prefer not to see the Jump Lists, toggle it to off in the Start of Personalization category of Settings app.

9. Execute a right click on a program on Taskbar and you can no more see the Jump Lists items.

10. And have the option of changing the Jump lists ON or OFF.

Hope this information is more helpful. Please do let us know if

you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, May 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @Tony. I have now added that as Option 7 and 8 in the tutorial. *Smile

Brink, May 21, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome, Shawn. I was so astatic about this! 10 keeps getting better with time like a fine wine. *Smile

Tony K, May 21, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    @Brink:
    Another couple of tricks I've found:

If you create a 'Super Hidden' folder and pin it to Quick Access, then re-hide 'Protected System Files and Folders', it will no longer show in the Navigation Pane but, it will still show in File Explorer Taskbar Jump Lists, and be navigable.

Also, there are certain folders you can pin to Quick Access, such as 'search-ms:', when there, but they too will not show in the Navigation Pane but will also show in Taskbar Jump Lists!

Thought this info may be useful! *Wink

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Pin Unpin Items

2. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  3. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  4. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  5. Jump List Populates Old Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jump List Populates Old Items: Hi,When I clear my jump list after a short time it repopulates old items.This makes it useless to me is there any fix?thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-list-populates-old-items/907c4554-84b3-49a9-8ac7-997ed8937a0b
  6. Jump List Items not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump List Items not Opening: Is anyone having the issue where you open your jump list in File Explorer and then click on something like your Videos or Downloads Folder to have the jump list close like normal, but then nothing open? I also noticed that when I right click on the start button, I can't get...
  7. Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists

in Windows 10 Support
    Increase Number of Items in Jump Lists: As title says I'm wanting to know if there's a way to increase the amount of items can be stuffed into a taskbar jumplist. My reason is, I've used the jumplist feature in Windows 7 for Steam to give quicker access to some of the options you can only access by...
  8. Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10: How to: Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10 How to Pin or Unpin Items in Clipboard History in Windows 10 Copy paste its something we all do, probably multiple times a day. But what do you do if you need to copy the same few things again and again? How...
  9. Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pin and Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's...
  10. Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10: How to: Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 How to Rearrange Pinned Items On Jump Lists in Windows 10 [img] Information When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list. Jump Lists is a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to delete jump list items in windows 10

2. unpin single item in word jump list

3. cannot unpin from jump list windows 10

4. how to unpin items in a jump list in Windows 10