Windows 10: Can't create Recovery Drive

Discus and support Can't create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by snifferpro, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Can't create Recovery Drive

Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case.

In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter.
    UAC popped up and I replied.
    The first recovery screen popped up.
    I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next.
    Next screen said "Recorvery drive could not be created".
    No error message and no further info. Could only click finish.

Screenshots are attached showing the first screen and the second notification of failure.

Any suggestions or solutions appreciated.

:)

snifferpro, Aug 28, 2015

2. Windows 10130 We can't create the recovery drive

attempting to create a recovery drive in 10130 receives this message "We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive."

Is there a solution to this?

johnlitwinetz, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Janet50 Win User
    can't create recovery drive

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)

successfully installed 12/7

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3201845)

successfully installed 12/9

Janet50, Aug 28, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Can't create Recovery Drive

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  5. The flash drive I was using is 32gb.
    If you don't put the system files on the recovery drive, all you get is the troubleshooting menus
    when you boot to the flash.
    I'd like to copy all the systems files as a precaution.
    The lack of any error message or troubleshooting scenarios for recovery drive creation is troubling.

snifferpro, Aug 28, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    That's all a recovery drive really does is create an UEFI environment to access your system outside of windows(offline) Then you need to create a custom recovery image. See: How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10
    and you use the recovery drive to access this.

But I think you would be best served using a system image program like Macrium Reflect

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    `
    It's different in Windows 10 - if the option to copy System Files works, it lets you completely reinstall Windows on a bare drive from the Recovery Drive. It's quite a nice feature when it works. *Cool

Snifferpro, I've found that sometimes if I retry a couple of times, the Recovery Drive creation may fail at first then work the second or third time, so it might be worth trying again.

DavidY, Aug 28, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

Thanks for taking over David, I've only used Win7's recovery drive to re-image and in Win8 it was Macrium & WinPE, the same in Win10. I guess you can tell I don't care much for "recovery tools" except my last good image. or the very first made after a clean install for testing purposes. Thanks again*Smile

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  9. big10 Win User
    I have created a Windows 10 bootable .iso disk, is it same as the recovery drive mentioned above?

big10, Aug 28, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    See this at Microsoft: Recovery options in Windows 10

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  11. DavidY Win User
    Not quite, although you can do many of the same things with it.
    A recovery drive seems to include some specific info from the machine it was created, so
    • when I created a recovery drive from a touchscreen tablet, the touchscreen drivers were on there.
    • when I tried a recovery drive created on another machine, it would boot up on my tablet but the touchscreen didn't work

DavidY, Aug 28, 2015
  12. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Aug 28, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

Specially for those who decide to go back in the 30 day time frame:

Cliff S, Aug 28, 2015
  14. DavidY Win User
    Actually the bit I found most interesting was the next bit:
    .. because I've seen a lot of speculation that once you're past the 30 day point, even if you had a backup or installation media for Windows 7/8.x, if you went back, it wouldn't re-activate after the 30 day point had passed.

Everything else I've seen from Microsoft suggests you only have 30 days to go back, but it isn't clear if they just mean the previous OS files will be deleted, or something more than that. This is the first official thing I've seen from Microsoft which suggests it may work after that point (because 'If Go Back isn't available' suggests it's past the 30 day point) although even then you could read it either way.

DavidY, Aug 28, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Oh you mean that it(a path) exists not the how*Think The 30 days I believe. is the automatic disk cleanup of windows.old and ~bt folders(more disk space specially on things like tablets). But then again, now I'm guilty of speculation*Redface

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't create Recovery Drive - Similar Threads - Can't create Recovery

2. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  3. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  4. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  7. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Recovery Drive: Can't Create

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive: Can't Create: Hi I am trying to create a recovery drive for my laptop. I received the laptop from a family member so I don't know if the recovery files, which I believe to be on one of the hard drives, are still there or not. I have run the Recovery Drive app and have followed all of its...
  9. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  10. Can't create a recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create a recovery drive.: I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions? 57833

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 7 Reinstall Recovery USB Flash Drive All Versions SP1