Windows 10: Can't enable System Restore

Discus and support Can't enable System Restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Noticed my System Protection was not enabled. Can't click on the "Turn on......" Does nothing when I try to "Turn on...." Attached a pic. 20397 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cfourkays, Aug 30, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Can't enable System Restore

Noticed my System Protection was not enabled.
    Can't click on the "Turn on......" Does nothing when I try to "Turn on...."
    Attached a pic.

:)

cfourkays, Aug 30, 2015
  2. Ganie_B Win User
    Ganie_B, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Shimokita Win User
    System Restore ON But Will Not Open When Clicked

System Restore is on and enabled. I created a restore point. It seemed to have worked. However, when I click on System Restore, nothing happens.

C drive System is set to ON under Protection.

Configure tab was clicked and seetings are: Turn on system protection, and Disk Space 10% 10.4 GB

So why can't I open the System Restore tab when I click on it? Nothing happens.

Shimokita, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 30, 2015
  5. You can also try to run this via CMD as admin:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v " {09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 30, 2015
  6. cfourkays Win User
    Hi Shawn,
    Couldn't locate in the GPSettings.

TairikuOkami,
    Couldn't find the 2 keys to delete so I added the last key.

I don't know where you found this but it worked.

Noticed it wasn't working when I tried to create an RP prior to installing the new Build 10532

Thanks to both

Pete

cfourkays, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Pete. *Smile

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  8. cfourkays Win User

Just checked my work laptop with W-10 and found the same thing.
    Adding that Reg key also fixed it.

TairikuOkami,
    The first 2 keys were not found on this PC also.
    Pete

cfourkays, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Glad it worked out, took me some time to find the key hidden in the depths of the internet. *Nerd

TairikuOkami, Aug 31, 2015
  10. jefft104 Win User
    Thank you TairikuOkami, your solution worked great. Don't know how restore got turned off though.
    thanks Jeff

jefft104, Dec 30, 2015
  11. Tundra Win User
    Hi,

This looks promising but I tried opening up CMD as admin (and it could not find the two entries to delete, as others above have experienced) but when I cut/paste and pressed 'enter' for the third command, it came back saying 'ERROR: Access is denied'.

The prompt is 'C: \Windows\system32>' - is that right and if not how do I change that?

As a user of PCs for 30 years, Windows 10 makes we want to cry. So frustrating - like an incomplete beta and just, broken.

Tundra, Jan 5, 2016
  12. Tundra Win User
    Sussed it, I had to find CMD in 'apps' and right click, choose 'run as administrator'. Then it accepted that key.

I can now turn on System Restore.

Thanks a lot!

Tundra, Jan 5, 2016
  13. DrumsBob Win User

The first 2 lines didn't work but the last one got it going, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrumsBob, Jun 4, 2016
  14. JIGSAW Win User
    Thanks for the Fix *Thumbs

JIGSAW, Jun 10, 2016
  15. chinarog Win User
    Thanks TairikuOkami. I have been searching for the solution to this all day. I cut and paste this into CMD admin and it worked.

chinarog, Jul 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't enable System Restore - Similar Threads - Can't enable System

2. Can't delete system restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete system restore: Recently tried restoring my system to a restore point. I had around 70gb free on the drive when I attempted it. It failed before finishing as It told me there was insufficient space on the drive. When I got back into windows the free space went down to are 4.5gb The...
  3. Can't delete system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete system restore: Recently tried restoring my system to a restore point. I had around 70gb free on the drive when I attempted it. It failed before finishing as It told me there was insufficient space on the drive. When I got back into windows the free space went down to are 4.5gb The...
  4. Can't undo System Restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't undo System Restore: Dear community,I hope you can help me out. My ASUS was working just fine, but I realized that my hard disk stopped showing up on my PC. I have an SSD installed, so most of my software was installed in the missing hard disk. After researching a bit online, I decided to give it...
  5. Can't undo System Restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't undo System Restore: Dear community,I hope you can help me out. My ASUS was working just fine, but I realized that my hard disk stopped showing up on my PC. I have an SSD installed, so most of my software was installed in the missing hard disk. After researching a bit online, I decided to give it...
  6. System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.

System Restore Point- Enabling System Protection.: Hi, when I went to make a system restore point, with protection enabled, it showed a warning message exclamation mark inside a yellow triangle. The message said 'Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted...
  7. enable system restore registry key

enable system restore registry key: Do someone know if it is posible to enable system restore with registry key in windows 10 ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-system-restore-registry-key/9e34679f-12cd-4433-8750-3bdce6f7f360
  8. Why is system restore not enabled as default?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Why is system restore not enabled as default?: Hey Guys Is there a reason system restore is not enabled as default? Not needed any more/ is there now a better alternative ? Many thanks.... 12126
  9. System Restore disabled and cannot enable it

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore disabled and cannot enable it: Hi Since installing Windows 10 I've had a problem with System Restore. I've searched the web (including this forum) but so far have not found anyone with my particular problem. I'm not saying they're not there, just that I've not found them yet. As you can see from the...
  10. Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows How to Enable or Disable System Restore in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 restore point) without losing personal data files. System Restore is enabled by default in Windows. If disabled, create a restore...