Windows 10: Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

Discus and support Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer will not launch. There is no response to a click on the icon. I have Windows 10 1809 Pro recently updated. I suspect the problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShockwaveFlash, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

File Explorer will not launch. There is no response to a click on the icon. I have Windows 10 1809 Pro recently updated. I suspect the problem is another flaky update.

:)

ShockwaveFlash, Apr 15, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10

1. Can't launch file explorer following update to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't launch file

2. File Explorer crashing on launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashing on launch: After updating to Windows 11 I have had a recurring issue over the past few months with File Explorer crashing when launching it.This only happens when I am not connected to my office network, so I believe it may have something to do with the network drives I have mapped for...
  3. File Explorer crashing on launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crashing on launch: After updating to Windows 11 I have had a recurring issue over the past few months with File Explorer crashing when launching it.This only happens when I am not connected to my office network, so I believe it may have something to do with the network drives I have mapped for...
  4. Unable to launch certain applications following update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to launch certain applications following update.: Hi, Recently bought a new PC July 2020 and been having some issues related to Windows recently. When I try to start applications, specifically Spotify and Discord, I receive an error that states there was a "bad image" with error code 0xc0000025. This is related to...
  5. Autocomplete in search bar no longer works in file explorer following Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Autocomplete in search bar no longer works in file explorer following Windows 10 update: Prior to a recent Windows 10 update I could start typing a filename into the search bar of Windows explorer and it would autofill matching results 'on the fly'. Since the update this no longer works and I have to type in the search parameter and then click on the arrow or...
  6. Bing Launches from File Explorer / Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Bing Launches from File Explorer / Windows Explorer: When I search for something from File Explorer's address bar, Bing launches (from my default browser.) How do I turn this behavior off? I just want to search on my own computer. Windows Desktop version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 123890
  7. Windows 10: File explorer launch by itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10: File explorer launch by itself: recently I had a problem with file explorer pop ups without my permission, that problem happened specifically when I launch a video and I go for the full screen. so after a minimize that video its pop ups automatically. I have already checked for registry values of...
  8. Runas bat file won't launch file explorer after windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Runas bat file won't launch file explorer after windows 10 updates: I have a batch file setup to prompt me for my admin account password so I can access file explorer as an admin to get to users network folders on our file server. The user I login to my computer with does not have admin rights. This bat file was working, up until yesterday,...
  9. no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    no file on computer will open or launch from Windows 10 file explorer: i7 7700k, 32gb ram, intel m.2 sata , rx580, all bios, firmware and drivers fully updated. Windows 10 Pro 1803 fully updated All apps fully updated ------- I will start by saying that I have tried everything I can think of short of giving up and reinstalling the OS to fix...
  10. File Explorer Launching at Random

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Launching at Random: For the past few weeks, File Explorer in Windows 10 launches at random during the day. No keyboard action is involved...it just launches. Is there a way to defeat this behavior or is this just a bug within Windows 10. 36787