Windows 10: Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

Discus and support Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; side screen? ? Do you mean the Action Centre? That's just part of Windows. Have a look at your Device Manager- yellow triangles indicate missing... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by icacream, Feb 13, 2018.

1. dalchina New Member

Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

? Do you mean the Action Centre? That's just part of Windows.
    Have a look at your Device Manager- yellow triangles indicate missing drivers (if any).

By default, a UEFI installation will create 4 partitions of which one is not visible in Disk Management.

You can of course have more if you create more.

dalchina, Feb 14, 2018
  2. icacream Win User

side screen : this thinkpad comes with double screen

partitions : I don't remember creating any partitions, I always used this thinkpad with win7 but it originally came with vista - a couple of years ago I needed the win7 key for an other machine so I ran the vista cd on this one, I meant to sell it but never came around to it
    so the partitions have been created by the original package delivered with the machine, it might have been a good idea to formate the hd before installing win 10....

5 drivers are missing according to the device manager, all in "other devices"
    2 base system device
    figerprint sensor
    PCI Simple Communication controller
    unknow device

icacream, Feb 14, 2018
  3. dalchina New Member
    you have to install to unallocated space- if you didn't need any of the partitiions on the disk, then yes, a clean slate would have been the way to go.

I'm now wondering- did you actually clean install at all? (Boot from an external Win 10 USB disk, then install)
    - or did you boot from win 7, log in, then upgrade?

A Vista machine is also pretty old for Win 10- not saying it won't work- many old PCs do. But I'm guessing it's not verified by the manufacturer to be compatible.

As such, it could be you don't have compatible drivers available...? That would be very unusual.

Here's how:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Feb 14, 2018
  4. icacream Win User

clean install, booted from the usb drive on which I had downloaded win 10

I know it's an old machine, but it has all what is needed for win 10 - and the OP is... operating right now, just blocking any software I try to install, I tested with key text which I downloaded directly on the thinkpad, I could not run it...

Processor: 2.27 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9100
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    12288 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

RAM: 8124 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Slot 'DIMM 1' has 4096 MB (serial number
    80295465)
    Slot 'DIMM 2' has 4096 MB (serial number
    7725A1FC)
    Local Drive Volumes

Free hard disk space: 399.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    303.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space (this was with win 7 and some softwares installed)

Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M [Display adapter]

icacream, Feb 14, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
  6. icacream Win User
    hello again dalchina,
    the blocked files in window, I already met in win 7 - it was not the case here
    as to changing WDC folder access settings, it did not solve the problem

so I am gonna try a new install
    as you previously said, 4 partitions have been created, that is C + SW-preload, lenovo and SERVICEV003
    for 2 of them I can delete volume, but not for the service one
    and I hope deleting them won't wreck win10 before I can formate C...

I'm very much out of my depth here...
    I go and see if I find "how to" on the site

icacream, Feb 15, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    The 4 partitions for a GPT UEFI install are these:

Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt [​IMG]

But as yours is an old machine, you're likely to have a legacy MBR configuration, typically 2 partitions for Windows.

Only you will know what your other partitions are and whether you need them.

A clean install means deleting your existing Windows partition (and any useless ones).
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    As you've had Win 10 on your PC, no key needed.

dalchina, Feb 15, 2018
  8. icacream Win User

well... my new install seems successfullll - I can open the command prompt, yeah !
    not even sure why I wanted to do that, but I could not and now I can
    must go out and enjoy the last rays of the sun
    will close this thread when I have better tested it all
    you've been very supportive, A GREAT THANKS !

icacream, Feb 15, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Great.. now consolidate your position before making changes and something goes wrong- start using Disk Imaging routinely.. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + a large external disk for disk image sets.

A disk image is a compressed copy of the used part of disk(s) and partition(s). Disk imaging programs usually help you image the set of Windows partitions. Keep that updated using e.g. differential imaging- a faster smaller mage being the changes from your first image.

Thus you can recover to a prior working state quickly and relatively painlessly- and save yourself some clean installs.

dalchina, Feb 15, 2018
  10. icacream Win User
    hello !
    all is well and working and I'm impressed on how fast win10 loads on my old machine, as fast as win7 on SSD !

I'll follow your advice regarding Macrium Reflect when I install on my PC, I also found the related tutorial here

I'll test my old softwares, so far most seem to work ok and I guess I'll convert my PC to win10 while the going is good (as I have 2 more win7 product keys), even though I find the environment rather ugly, wish they had duplicated the areo style from win7... *really

thanks again for your support during my difficult first steps !!!
    Tschüß

icacream, Feb 18, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    You can improve the GUI- even the glass effect- using Aeroglass (tiny fee);

and some icon changes in imageres.dll

Others have used high contrast themes- plenty of examples in the Customisation section.

If you inherit a large, deep start menu from Win 7 you will struggle wiht any Win 10 style menu as they flatten the folder hierarchy after about 3 deep.

Classic Shell start menu (free) is great, though no more development now. Highly customisable in appearance and search (whereas Win 10's isn't).

Another big learning curve is the pattern of updates. Set updates to Notify and configure Active Hours in Settings.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  12. icacream Win User
    hi
    precious, thanks again !!
    this thread is going all over the place... wonder whether I should have opened new ones...
    but too bad *Wink
    here's a message I really do not understand :

BUT I HAVE THE TRANSPARENCY ON SOME WINDOWS *Party
    though not on my browsers, for instance, nor on acrobat or on file explorer....
    that might be "normal" or have to do with whatever is missing... but the search I did on DWM (0X88)... hmmm found no help there !!

icacream, Feb 18, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Have you downloaded the correct version for your build?

Note this only applies to 'standard' window frames- not custom ones, of which there are plenty, depending on the author. There is an option for a frame around apps too, although some of those seem to have changed standard now like Groove.

Waterfox, convertor; no; Money, yes

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  14. icacream Win User
    yes, I got the right one *Cool
    and I had the wrong background to check the result

Acrobat YES - IrfanView YES - EditPad YES... even file explorer !!! [clap hands]
    I guess I'm slowly getting ready to abandon win7..... *Think

icacream, Feb 18, 2018
  15. dalchina New Member
    Good - if you want the rounded corners, get Noel's atlas theme (it's just images) - see the MSFN forum linked from the site.

You can colour the frames too and distinguish foreground from background- for me that's going back a long way but there are tutorials on inactive title bar and colouring the title bar.

Throw in Quizo's QTTABBAR - a great free addon for explorer - and you can colour explorer-generated backgrounds, add tabs to explorer and more...

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt - Similar Threads - Can’t Open Elevated

2. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  3. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  4. Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...: ... as the post title. My search here only found a tutorial for a 'standard' command prompt. -thx 167608
  5. Access Denied in elevated command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied in elevated command prompt: Hello everybody, I'm trying to run a simple command in an elevated Command Prompt that acts on a folder that resides on a secondary HDD. That drive and the entirety of its contents have my only machine's user account also the administrator set as the owner, as does...
  6. Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?: Is there a rule of thumb to know which of the referenced you would use when entering a particular command or file name? Mark 112722
  7. Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?: I have read everything I can find on Error messages regarding looping of Preparing to Repair. I can not open my computer to Windows...it never loads. I started experiencing problems a while ago. Finally, I would be able to get on line, but only for about a minute before it...
  8. Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%: I have the Command Prompt icon on my Taskbar as I use it a lot. It's set to always run as Administrator, so when I launch it, the Command Prompt window opens to C:\Windows\system32. I want it to open to %userprofile% which is C:\Users\myaccountname. Has anyone found a...
  9. Get elevated command prompt to open in my user directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Get elevated command prompt to open in my user directory: I changed Command Prompt on my Taskbar so when I click on it, it opens as Administrator. That sets the default directory as C:\WINDOWS\system32 which I don't like, since any files I create that do not have a path specified will be created there. I want it to open in my...
  10. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...