Windows 10: Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows

Discus and support Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows How to Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows The Attachment... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by RickC, Jan 19, 2018.

1. RickC Win User

Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows

How to: Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows

How to Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows

The Attachment Manager is included in Windows to help protect your PC from unsafe attachments that you might receive with an e-mail message and from unsafe files that you might save from the Internet. If the Attachment Manager identifies an attachment that might be unsafe, the Attachment Manager prevents (blocks) you from opening the file, or it warns you before you open the file.

It uses the IAttachmentExecute application programming interface (API) to find the file type, to find the file association. When one of these applications saves a downloaded file on a disk formatted with NTFS, then it updates the metadata for the file with the zone it was downloaded from. The metadata is saved as an Alternate Data Stream (ADS). If you wish to unblock a downloaded file, you can do so by right-clicking it, selecting Properties and clicking on Unblock.

The following determine whether you are prevented from opening the file or whether you are warned before you open the file:
    • The type of program that you are using.
    • The file type that you are downloading or trying to open
    • The security settings of the Web content zone that you are downloading the file from.
      • Internet
      • Local intranet
      • Trusted sites
      • Restricted sites
    The Attachment Manager classifies files that you receive or that you download based on the file type and the file name extension. Attachment Manager classifies files types as high risk, medium risk, and low risk.
    • High Risk – If the attachment is in the list of high risk file types and is from the restricted zone, Windows blocks the user from accessing the file. If the file is from the Internet zone, Windows prompts the user with a Windows Security Warning: Windows found that this file is potentially harmful. To help protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file.
    • Moderate Risk – If the attachment is in the list of moderate risk file types and is from the restricted or Internet zone, Windows prompts the user with a warning: "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?".
    • Low Risk – If the attachment is in the list of low risk file types, Windows will not prompt the user before accessing the file, regardless of the file’s zone information.
    If you like, there is a "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" policy that allows you to manage whether Windows marks file attachments with information about their zone of origin (such as restricted, Internet, intranet, local). If this policy is enabled, it will effectively disable downloaded files from being blocked.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable downloaded files from being blocked for all users in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable downloaded files from being blocked.

*note This will not affect blocked files that have already been downloaded before setting this policy.

*Warning By not preserving the zone information, Windows cannot make appropriate risks assessments. This can cause a security risk to your PC by not having downloaded files blocked by default anymore.
    • If you enable this policy setting, Windows does not mark file attachments by using their zone information.
    • If you disable this policy setting, Windows marks file attachments by using their zone information.
    • If you do not configure (default) this policy setting, Windows marks file attachments by using their zone information.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked using a REG file
    EXAMPLE: Blocked files

Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Group Policy

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. Navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Attachment Manager in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Attachment Manager, double click/tap on the Do not preserve zone information in file attachments policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (Enable) or step 6 (Disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Downloaded Files from being Blocked
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked using a REG file

*note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments

SaveZoneInformation DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Downloaded Files from being Blocked for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_block_downloaded_files.reg

Download

3. To Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_block_downloaded_files.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

RickC, Jan 19, 2018

2. File History does not back up blocked files.

Hi

It appears that File History does not back up blocked files. This means that any attachments or files I download are not being backed up.

I would suggest this is a bug.

The only workaround I can find is to disable blocking as per

Disable downloaded files from being blocked in Windows 10

If there is a better option I would be happy to find it?

Phil

philrosenberg, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Blocking all Downloads

Everything that I try to download is being blocked.

Tried disabling my antivirus (Bitdefender Total Security 2015) and firewall.

Disable smartscreen.

Tried downloading multiple different files from different websites and non of it is downloading.

Keeping getting messages in Chrome saying 'Failed - Blocked'.

When looking into why it is blocked it says that it is because of my antivirus but when it is all disabled it still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

JackTBTaylor, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Rick. Now fixed. *Smile

Brink, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Thank you very much, this has been driving me nuts. I download lecture notes as .pptx and homework assignments as .docx, manually unblocking the files every time was getting really old.

USSENTERNCC1701, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable Downloaded Files from being Blocked in Windows - Similar Threads - Disable Downloaded Files

2. Blocking specific Windows Updates from being downloaded/installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocking specific Windows Updates from being downloaded/installed: There have been several sets of Windows Updates lately that are causing issues with the functionality of some point of sales software that I provide support for, this software is called Micros RES 3700. I will spare you the specifics, in short, these updates are making...
  3. Blocking specific Windows Updates from being downloaded/installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocking specific Windows Updates from being downloaded/installed: There have been several sets of Windows Updates lately that are causing issues with the functionality of some point of sales software that I provide support for, this software is called Micros RES 3700. I will spare you the specifics, in short, these updates are making...
  4. Downloads Being Blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads Being Blocked: Some time in the last few weeks, my computer has started blocking downloads. It attempts to download, say, a program but then says “Can’t download – Blocked”. No other information is given. It doesn’t even indicate which program the message has come from. The same thing...
  5. Downloads Being Blocked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads Being Blocked: Some time in the last few weeks, my computer has started blocking downloads. It attempts to download, say, a program but then says “Can’t download – Blocked”. No other information is given. It doesn’t even indicate which program the message has come from. The same thing...
  6. How to block ISO files from being downloaded?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to block ISO files from being downloaded?: Hi,What is the best way to block users from saving .ISO files on their local computer and network drives? We are using Applocker, Intune, SCCM, Group Policy. Which one of these can block it, and how? Thank you....
  7. Word and Excel files being blocked when downloaded from the Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word and Excel files being blocked when downloaded from the Internet: This same question has arisen a number of times over the past few years but seems to keep coming back. Basically, and just recently, files downloaded from the Internet have been blocked or regarded as unsafe. I suspect this is a result of a recent Windows 10 update. Of...
  8. Glasswire download is being blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Glasswire download is being blocked: I can install virtually all software from any company and some even from Microsoft. Software I have used for a long time when trying to install updates I frequently get a message for instance: "Glasswire Setup was blocked because it could harm your computer" If I certify it...
  9. Downloads Being Blocked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloads Being Blocked: I have recently found that everything that I download gets blocked. Not jist sketchy files that my firewall might block but everything. And I’ve tried everything that I can think of to try and disable download blockers/firewalls. I was able to downlaod sruff before but now I...
  10. Windows Attachment Manager - Disable Blocking Downloaded Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Attachment Manager - Disable Blocking Downloaded Files: Howdy, I wanna Disable downloaded files from the Internet from being blocked in Windows (Registry Only). Code: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments] "SaveZoneInformation"=dword:0000000x...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments] SaveZoneInformation

2. hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\attachments

3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments] SaveZoneInformation=dword:0000000x [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments] SaveZoneInformation=dword:0000000x