Windows 10: Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Discus and support Can't pin apps to start-menu. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sleepless, Jun 13, 2016.

1. sleepless Win User

Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there, but not apps, or any personal folders. You're stuck with some automated process to determine which apps appear and which don't (recently used, most used etc..). That's useless if an app doesn't fall into those categories.

Coming from win7, this is extremely dissappointing. It seems the new windows start menu is all about showy tiles, and seriously lacking in function. I guess folks were so used to win8, that any improvement was seen as a revolution.

Am I missing something here?

- Is there some way to remove all those "NEW" signs beside all the apps in the All Apps directory?
    - Any way of narrowing the widith of the tile panel? I mean the height can be changed but not the width? I have a narrow strip of small tiles within a massive panel. If I remove all of them it dissappears, but can't simply decrease the width?

:)

sleepless, Jun 13, 2016

2. Can't pin any app icon at my start menu.

I can't pin any app icon in my start menu. When I click on the app icon with the right button it shows me only the commands: " turn live tile off or on" ,"share", "rate and review" and "pin to taskbar". It doesn't show me commands such as: "pin to start
    menu" , "unpin from start menu" and "size". So I can't personalize my start menu with the apps I want. Could you help me solve this problem? Thank you!

[Kristjan], Jun 13, 2016
  3. pin to start button is greyed out in facebook and messenger apps

i can't pin facebook or messenger app that i downloaded from windows store to start menu

Muhammed Shabaan, Jun 13, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 13, 2016
  5. sleepless Win User
    Yeah, that's for the All Apps area, which is a directory. It's not an area for shortcuts. It's meant to list ALL of your apps. In windows7 there is that option, plus you can pin shortcuts to the menu. In win10 it seems you can't.

sleepless, Jun 13, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 13, 2016
  7. sleepless Win User
    Unfortunately that has nothing to do with what I was asking. That tutorial is simply for renaming those folders, which is useless to me. Any folder is easy enough to access through explorer. Apps however, are not. All I wanted was to be able to have a shortcut in the start menu. I'm completely dumbfounded that a simple shortcut can't be pinned in the start menu. It's either navigate through a system of blocks/tiles, or search through the directory.

sleepless, Jun 13, 2016
  8. sleepless Win User
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    OPTION ONE is to rename the folder in All Apps. OPTION TWO allows you to change the target location.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 14, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 14, 2016
  11. sleepless Win User
    I'm afraid that IS normal. I could fill up the space with useless "recent apps", but because I don't want those, I'm left with empty space. Windows10 doesn't allow users to place app shortcuts there. Same thing with the massive tile panel. Because I don't want to navigate my apps using a maze of blocks, I'm left with a mass of empty space, as win10 doesn't seem to allow for reducing the width of the panel (only height). I think I'll be RUNNING back to Win7. What an awful first experience. I really thought this was going to be an improvement.

Also, I appreciate your replies, but please stop telling me about adding folders to the menu. That may be someone elses concern, but I never brought that up. I started the thread with the hopes of gaining insight about APPLICATION SHORTCUTS in the menu. As I said, if I want to browse folders, I'll use explorer. I use the menu for gaining access to apps, which again, is only possible using the tiles/blocks, or the app directory.

sleepless, Jun 14, 2016
  12. sleepless Win User
    I think I've read over 10 "tutorials" now:

"Hey look, you can change the colors"

"It's cool, you can move the blocks"

Unbelievable.

sleepless, Jun 14, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

For what you're wanting, I think using the free program Classic Shell may help.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't pin apps to start-menu. - Similar Threads - Can't pin apps

2. Can't pin documents to start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't pin documents to start menu: I'm sorry if someone has asked this already. I can't find an answer easily.I am very frustrated at seeming to be unable to pin documents to the start menu or Quick Access like I could with Windows 10. I want to be able to get to my favourite documents within two clicks,...
  3. Can't pin documents to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't pin documents to start menu: I'm sorry if someone has asked this already. I can't find an answer easily.I am very frustrated at seeming to be unable to pin documents to the start menu or Quick Access like I could with Windows 10. I want to be able to get to my favourite documents within two clicks,...
  4. Can't pin clock on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't pin clock on Start Menu: When I open the Alarm and Clock app, go to the Clock tab and select the time I want to pin to Start Menu it doesn't show up. If I select to pin it again, it will give me the option to unpin it from the Star Menu, even though it's not pinned. So basically the system it's...
  5. Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu: For some reason, I cannot pin Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword to my Start menu. I am 100% sure that it is not already pinned, and I even tried making a shortcut to the executable and pinning that, but it didn't work either. The location of the file is C:\Program Files...
  6. How to pin app in start menu ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pin app in start menu ??: How to pin app in start menu ? ? I mean I dont want to pin app in start. I want to pin app in start menu like windows 7. Is it possible ? ? I search in setting but i cant fnd any option. Is thr any 3rd party software to do this ? ? 82320
  7. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  8. Problem pinning apps to the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem pinning apps to the start menu: I posted this on the MS support forum . Can't pin programs to the Start Menu in Windows 10, unless they are present in the "All apps" menu. Neither by drag & drop, nor by right-clicking and selecting "Pin To Start". Received this reply.. wonderded if it was a known...
  9. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...
  10. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?: Win 10 64bit Build 10162 Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not able to pin apps to the start

2. cant pin apps to start menu