Windows 10: Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive

Discus and support Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since the latest install of W10 it appears that the documents and pictures folders on my PC are in fact in the ONeDrive folder and not at all where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cft100, Apr 8, 2019.

1. cft100 Win User

Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive

Since the latest install of W10 it appears that the documents and pictures folders on my PC are in fact in the ONeDrive folder and not at all where they used to be. I do not want them in the OneDrive folder! I want them on my PC where they always used to be. However when I try to revert the folder location to the default setting in Properties for the folder (C://User/documents) and try to copy all the folders from the onedrive location to the default location, I get an incomprehensible error message that says: 'Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that cannot be redirected. Access is denied.'

Help please, how to stop using onedrive as the default location for documents and pictures?

:)

cft100, Apr 8, 2019
  2. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Stevekir Win User
    Default Locations Two folders messed up

Here is how I did what the OP wants:

My C drive is on an ssd. Because I needed more space than the ssd offered, I wanted my four most important folders (Documents, Pictures, Music and Video) to be on the much bigger internal hard drive (Drive D). This involved manually making four (in my case) new (target) folders with the same names on that internal hard drive (D). (To do that, I opened Drive D and did Right Click > New.) Then, after a few more steps, Windows was configured to thereafter Redirect (the formal word/command) all save, open etc commands to those target folders rather than the default ones on the C drive. The step-by-step instructions are on the following Web site:

After the actions in the Web site have been followed, the following windows will appear when you press This PC or File Explorer:

Attachment 150088This shows View > Tiles. (You might need to scroll at the top of the window to select Tiles - Tiles is just my favourite).

But the Documents etc, are empty. That's OK. Redirection only operates on newly created files. Note the Web site gives instructions about about Moving (not copying) all your existing files to the new folders.

To test, create a dummy file and save it to Documents (navigate to Documents and note in passing that it is now filled with your existing files). Then press This PC or File Explorer (to open the same window in the attachments to this message). Confirm again that all your existing files and the dummy file are in Documents. As before, you see only one set of Documents etc. folders but they are actually on Drive D. Repeat for as many folders as you want. I redirected four in all. Simple.

All this is not as complex as looking at the instructions implies.

Stevekir, Apr 8, 2019
  4. Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive

1. Can't revert documents and pictures folders rto default location on C: drive - Similar Threads - Can't revert documents

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Location of "Pictures" and "Documents" on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location of "Pictures" and "Documents" on Hard Drive: My Windows 10 laptop died. I pulled the hard drive out and have it in a case which I can connect to new laptop Windows 11. I am unable to find "Pictures," "Documents," Where do I look? I don't seem to be able to find or access "my" files and folders, only System folders....
  5. Location of "Pictures" and "Documents" on Hard Drive

Location of "Pictures" and "Documents" on Hard Drive: My Windows 10 laptop died. I pulled the hard drive out and have it in a case which I can connect to new laptop Windows 11. I am unable to find "Pictures," "Documents," Where do I look? I don't seem to be able to find or access "my" files and folders, only System folders....
  6. Location of "Pictures" and "Documents" on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  8. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  9. Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring 'My Document' folder back to default location on C drive: I have just got a brand new Windows 10 PC. It has a 256 GB SSD and a 1T hard drive. They are drives C and D. As delivered the user data libraries/folders Documents, Pictures, Music, etc are on the C drive. So I decided to move the Documents library to the D drive by...
  10. Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update: I have my Documents folder relocated to the D: Data drive to save space on my 128Gb SSD drive which is my system drive. I used the Documents folders properties location tab to do this. After the feature update through Windows Update from 1803 to 1809..now under C:\Users the...