Windows 10: Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Agreed, and removed. *Smile Thanks Brink ! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tracit99, Nov 27, 2014.

1. jds63 Win User

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Thanks Brink !

jds63, Sep 1, 2015
  2. petrel Win User

Hi,
    I ran administrator cmd powercfg -waketimers and it said that the Maintenance Activator was a wake timer.
    I then went into the maintenance screen pictured in the OP. The 'Allow scheduled maintenance to wake ..." checkbox was unchecked. I checked it. Saved. Unchecked it. Saved.
    Then I reran powercfg -waketimers and it is no longer showing any waketimers. So I am confident that my computer will no longer wake up overnight.
    I

petrel, Sep 11, 2015
  3. I have found this, it seems to be working, no automatic maintenance for several days. Run CMD as admin and enter:

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance" /v "MaintenanceDisabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Feb 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @TairikuOkami. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 7, 2016
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Hello Shawn mate Security and Maintenance is not in my Control Panel for any of the three installs I am trying to adjust -I can get it typing that in the start box is there any reason I don't have it in the CP??

ICIT2LOL, Apr 6, 2017
  6. Good notice, it seems, that Windows Defender Security (Health) Center is taking over maintenance since CU.

TairikuOkami, Apr 6, 2017
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep seems so although I got into it via the start box just typing in Security and Maintenance in fact it flagged it before I had hardly finished typing Security??

ICIT2LOL, Apr 6, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Odd. I still have Security and Maintenance in my Control Panel (icons view) for build 15063.14. *Confused

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Apr 6, 2017
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Shawn sorry mate I was just checking over the machine and took a look at Maintenance and I should have asked earlier in the window it mentions File History is turned off just what does mean?

For example is it my private files or just system files and what do advise to do with that setting on or off??

ICIT2LOL, Aug 12, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 12, 2017
  11. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Shawn I think I will keep it as default until that new feature is fixed - otherwise both machines are really working well :-D

ICIT2LOL, Aug 13, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad to hear they are running well for you now John.

Brink, Aug 13, 2017
  13. Vertex Win User

I've had some trouble getting Automatic Maintenance to actually wake the computer on a schedule in Windows 10. Changes to the Automatic Maintenance mechanism have made the description in the Control Panel misleading, and most search results about the issue are people trying to prevent Automatic Maintenance from waking the computer. So to that end, here is some information I've put together.

To support Automatic Maintenance, Windows 8 introduced new task settings and a new kind of task: the Automatic Maintenance Task. Unlike other tasks, these tasks do not use triggers. Instead, they define a frequency at which they should run and a frequency at which they must run. When Automatic Maintenance rolls around, the Task Scheduler uses this information to decide which of these tasks get to run during the maintenance period.

Presumably, the new Maintenance Activator task is built into the Task Scheduler and represents the set of all automatic maintenance tasks. It's scheduled to run daily at whatever time you set in the Control Panel (plus a randomized delay, up to four hours by default, and configurable in Group Policy).

In Windows 10, the Maintenance Activator task sets a wake timer only if there are one or more individual maintenance tasks that are set to wake the computer, and you checked the box to allow Automatic Maintenance to wake the computer in the Control Panel. This behavior differs from Windows 8, where the Regular Maintenance task would always wake the computer at the scheduled time if you checked the box in the Control Panel.

For reference, you can use this PowerShell pipeline to list all automatic maintenance tasks:
    Code: Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView[/quote] To list only the automatic maintenance tasks which could wake the computer, use this pipeline:
    Code: Get-ScheduledTask | ? {$_.Settings.WakeToRun -and $_.Settings.MaintenanceSettings} | Out-GridView[/quote] Very few automatic maintenance tasks are set to wake the computer, and most of them are disabled most of the time. That means that to have Automatic Maintenance wake the computer reliably at the scheduled time, it's necessary to change some other task to wake the computer. The Windows Defender Verification task is a suitable choice, as it's already set to run daily with a tight deadline.

Vertex, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Automatic Maintenance

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance: TL;DR Will automatic maintenance defrag my SSD? I'm running Windows 10 2004 19041.450. I'm thinking about running automatic maintenance at the end of each day to keep my system updated without having to go through the hassle of doing it myself. I'm concerned because I've...
  5. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change time of automatic maintenance?: Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance. This wakes me up. Every single night. It wakes up 2-4...
  6. Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance ignoring my settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance ignoring my settings: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.592). So I set my automatic maintenance to 8am as I will often be doing things in the night/early morning. For instance I record a podcast with some friends in america sometimes, and I'll be doing this between 1.30am to sometimes as late as 7am, so...
  7. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  8. automatic maintenance win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatic maintenance win 10: i want to disable this feature how to do it? as i have new ssd if this defragments my ssd it may be bad for my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/automatic-maintenance-win-10/833e5b55-d483-407f-8341-4606edf1e27d
  9. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  10. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...