Windows 10: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10

Discus and support Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10 How to Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10

How to: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10

How to Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.

Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.

You can change how capitalized text is read by Narrator. If you choose Increase pitch, Narrator will accentuate capitalized, mixed-case, and upper-case words with increasing levels of voice pitch. If you choose Say cap, Narrator will say cap to identify capitalized words, mix cap for mixed-case words, and all cap for uppercase words.

*Warning Due to a Narrator reading reliability issue for the Change how capitalized text is read feature, the feature has been disabled starting in Windows 10 build 18351. However, the Change how capitalized text is read feature is back in at least Windows 10 build 18917.

This tutorial will show you how to change how capitalized text is read by Narrator for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Settings
    • Option Three: Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While Narrator + 4[/b] keys until you hear how you want capitalized text read by Narrator.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can also press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side, and select what you want in the Change how capitalized text is read drop menu on the right side under the Change what you hear when reading and interacting section. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION THREE [/i] Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam

CapitalizationReading DWORD

0 = Don't announce
    1 = Increase pitch
    2 = Say cap

1. Do step 2 (Don't announce), step 3 (Increase pitch), or step 4 (Say cap) below for what you would like to do.

2. Don't announce capitalized text when read by Narrator
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Do_not_announce_capitalized_text_when_read_by_Narrator.reg

Download

3. Increase pitch when capitalized text is read by Narrator
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Increase_pitch_when_capitalized_text_is_read_by_Narrator.reg

Download

4. Say cap when capitalized text is read by Narrator

Say_cap_when_capitalized_text_is_read_by_Narrator.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 29, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hello Brenda,

I would suggest you to refer to the below steps to turn off narrator.

• Type ease of access in the search bar and press enter

• Click on Narrator and turn off
    Reference:

Hear text read aloud with Narrator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-hear-text-read-aloud

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Narrator - want it to narrate just the text I choose...

Hi

To assist you better I would like to know, which website are you referring to?

For now, I suggest you to go to the article for more information on Hear text read aloud with Narrator:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hear-text-read-aloud-narrator#1TC=windows-8

Hope this information is helpful for you. If you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 27, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

DaveM121, Oct 27, 2019
  5. MS Narrator stopped reading alt text?

I am using Narrator (screen reader) to test a training course I created in Articulate Storyline. Normally Narrator works fine but for some reason it stopped reading alt text that it was reading before? It is reading everything but alt text, like
    window titles, banner headings etc. What I want is really the opposite.

I am starting Narrator with Ctrl + Winkey + Enter and tabbing to different elements and the highlighting is working but it just isn't reading the alt text but it is reading everything else? Please advise?

Todd Smyth, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Narrator 10 wont read text to me.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

We understand your situation and will assist you to resolve your issue.

We would like to know if your sound card is working and are your sound related drivers up to date?

Please refer the following steps for troubleshooting:

How to start the Narrator in windows 10:

• The quickest way of getting into the Settings in
      Windows 10 is from everyone’s favorite, Start Menu. When you make a click on
      Start Menu, you will notice Settings listed there. Click on it and your Settings window will be opened.

• As you have entered the
      Settings
      , you see many options listed. Find out Ease of Access and click on it.

• The Ease of Access will again list you many options under it. And by default
      Narrator is selected at the lists on the top.

• You will notice quite few interesting things on the right pane of the
      Narrator. Well, if your Narrator is turned off, all the related settings are greyed out except the first one because that option allows you to use the slider and
      switch on the Narrator.

• Once you turn on the Narrator, you will be able to use the available settings. The
      Narrator settings on Settings are carried out in three sections:
      Voice, Sounds you hear andCursor and keys. So, to learn these available settings, we request you to turn on the
      Narrator by using its slider.

How to configure Narrator in windows 10:

Now, we will see how to do the modifications of
    Narrator from PC Settings. All the sections of the
    Narrator settings are mentioned below in details.

1.Voice:

The Voice section of the
    Narrator settings will definitely become your favorite. The
    Voice section provides you three settings to do:
    Choose a voice, Speed, and Pitch.

a. Choose a voice: Click the drop-down menu and you will see two voice options to choose from. Firstly, David is chosen by default which is the standard male American voice, and
    Zira is a female voice that speaks standard American English.

b. Speed:
    Control the speed of the narration using the speed slider.

c. Pitch:
    Its slider also allows you to control the pitch of the sound.

2.Sounds you hear:

Let’s you modify the sound produced by the
    Narrator.

a. Read hints for controls and buttons:
    You must be clear with its name. You will hear the hints for the controls and buttons, like
    ToolTips.

b.Characters you Type: If you don’t have enough speed, it is suggested to turn this setting off. It will read out the characters that you type on your document.

c.Words you type:
    This option also relies on your typing speed. Turn it off if you are too fast in typing.

d.Lower the volume of other app when Narrator is running:
    While using Narrator, if you get disturb by another sound from any of your running apps, use this option. This will lower the sound of that running app so that you can hear the sound of
    the Narrator properly.

e.Play audio cues:
    When some actions are being performed, Narrator uses its own set of sounds. It is recommended to use this option and see how you are benefitted from it.

3.Cursors and keys:

Narrator has its own cursor, a sort of the blue box which figures what narrator is reading. Here we deal with the cursor and keyboard options:

a.Highlight the cursor:
    Switch it off and hide the Narrator cursor or if you like the cursor, keep this option on.

b.Have INSERTION POINT FOLLOW POINTER:
    When you switch from one point to another, Narrator will follow you.

c.Activate keys on touch keyboard when I lift my finger off the keyboard:
    This option serves for the touchscreen users. When you take off your fingers from the keys,
    Narrator will speak out. It will not read out when you slide through all the keys.

Also,
    if you have any sound issues, we would suggest you to refer the link below to fix sound issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

The above are some of the standard troubleshooting procedures for Narrator 10. Please let us know if it works or you need any further assistance.

Amarjeet1709, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change how Capitalized Text is Read by Narrator in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Capitalized Text

2. Crackle speaker on narrator reading text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crackle speaker on narrator reading text: The speaker on my new laptop makes a crackling sound when I use the narrator to read on-screen text. While playing games and listening to music, speakers function perfectly. Also, when I use the narrator with headphones, there is no crackling sound.Is there anything wrong...
  3. Crackle speaker on narrator reading text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crackle speaker on narrator reading text: The speaker on my new laptop makes a crackling sound when I use the narrator to read on-screen text. While playing games and listening to music, speakers function perfectly. Also, when I use the narrator with headphones, there is no crackling sound.Is there anything wrong...
  4. How read Urdu text with written and how to type Urdu text with narrator screen reader on window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How read Urdu text with written and how to type Urdu text with narrator screen reader on window: I am zain. I am screen reader usser.I am using narrator. How to red urdu text with narrator.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-read-urdu-text-with-written-and-how-to-type/4dc4ccce-cb58-4c8b-b82c-0aa9f9022aeb
  5. How read Urdu text with written and how to type Urdu text with narrator screen reader on window

How read Urdu text with written and how to type Urdu text with narrator screen reader on window: I am zain. I am screen reader usser.I am using narrator. How to red urdu text with narrator.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-read-urdu-text-with-written-and-how-to-type/4dc4ccce-cb58-4c8b-b82c-0aa9f9022aeb
  6. How read Urdu text with written and how to type Urdu text with narrator screen reader on window

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Capitalize text!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Capitalize text!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Can I use auto capitalize in Windows? As I type small I, it auto capitalize it to capital I. I want it on PC! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/capitalize-text/6493acfe-feef-4f7f-bb2a-f7af09dc462b
  8. Capitalize text!

Capitalize text!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Can I use auto capitalize in Windows? As I type small I, it auto capitalize it to capital I. I want it on PC! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/capitalize-text/6493acfe-feef-4f7f-bb2a-f7af09dc462b
  9. Changing speed of narrator in Read Aloud function

Changing speed of narrator in Read Aloud function: I am searching for the adjustment for the voice cadence on the, "Read Aloud" setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-speed-of-narrator-in-read-aloud-function/53657c2e-3907-42d9-94dc-6fa523180e9a
  10. Read by Sentence in Narrator in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Read by Sentence in Narrator in Windows 10: How to: Read by Sentence in Narrator in Windows 10 How to Read by Sentence in Narrator in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make narrator read capitalization in windows 10

2. how does narrator reads headings