Windows 10: Change in Wake and Hibernation behavior in v1703

Discus and support Change in Wake and Hibernation behavior in v1703 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7 and for the entire life of W10 I have used the command cmd.exe /c "exit" to awaken one of my computers at 0600 each morning. I hibernate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ARYLIOA, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Change in Wake and Hibernation behavior in v1703

In Windows 7 and for the entire life of W10 I have used the command cmd.exe /c "exit" to awaken one of my computers at 0600 each morning. I hibernate the computer each evening when done using it. The computer would awaken at 0600 and stay awake.

Since installing v1703 the computer awakens but unless I perform some operation manually, returns to hibernation in a few minutes. The exact same thing happens if I have a program (Acronis True Image, for instance) wake and perform a backup from hibernation at a given time.

The power settings are as I used previously: Sleep in 30, Hybrid Sleep Off, Hibernate Never, Wake Timers Enabled. Note that the computer isn't just going to sleep because 30 minutes passes. It returns to hibernation as soon as the particular task completes.

Any ideas how to restore the pre-v1703 behavior? Is there a new setting someplace that I have missed?

Thanks.

:)

ARYLIOA, Jul 24, 2017
  2. TomHaws Win User

Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

When I put Windows 10 to sleep, then wake it up within a few minutes, it wakes up promptly as expected after a sleep. And it wakes up if I tap my keyboard, which also is expected.

But if I come back to wake the computer after a long time, it appears to have settled into hibernation.

1. The keyboard will not wake it up. I have to press the power button.

2. The manufacturer startup screen is displayed like on hibernation resume, and the resumption takes a long time sometimes.

Why does sleep turn into hibernation? Can I stop this behavior? All of the above happens while my Dell laptop is plugged in continuously.

Tom

TomHaws, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Bitlocker with eDrive results in system not waking from sleep

For now, try setting your system to hibernate instead of sleep. To see if this will work on your system, hold the windows key, press r, and type "shutdown -h" (no quotes) and click "OK" to hibernate your system. If it wakes without crashing, the following
    instructions will make that the default behavior for the various ways your system will transition to sleep.

Right click on your start button, choose "power options" then "change plan settings" for your active power plan. Make sure that "put computer to sleep" is set to "never" for both battery and AC power. Then, click "change advanced power settings" and change
    all of the options under "Power buttons and lid" to "hibernate". Similarly, you may want to change "Sleep > Hibernate after > on battery" to a shorter time (15-45 minutes).

I'm talking with the bitlocker team to get an official response, but I did find that hibernate has been an effective workaround on my systems.

(also posted to Windows 10 1607 - Hardware BitLocker (eDrive) Wake from Sleep Issue )

Tim_Hermann, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 24, 2017
  5. ARYLIOA Win User
    Thank you. Done. One mistake was searching for hibernate to find the problem since that is what I was experiencing. Sleep seems to have been the key word. I appreciate your fast response.

ARYLIOA, Jul 24, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change in Wake and Hibernation behavior in v1703 - Similar Threads - Change Wake Hibernation

2. Hibernate Mode - wake up after hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernate Mode - wake up after hibernate: I want to take advantage of fast startup and I have enabled it in the power settings. When I shutdown the machine, it goes to hibernate mode. To restart the machine, I have to first press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds, which terminates the hibernation and...
  3. Laptop wakes from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop wakes from Hibernate: I know this problem has been posted many times before, but I have yet to see any answers that help me, and I hope that I will, as this is increasingly frustrating. I have an Asus Zenbook UX434FLC and am using the option to Hibernate when I press the Power button. However,...
  4. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  5. System waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    System waking from hibernate: I have used gpedit.msc to set Enable Windows Update Power Management to disabled but still I come back to my laptop after hibernating it and find it is awake and that powercfg -lastwake shows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0]...
  6. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...
  7. Interesting hibernation & update behavior

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Interesting hibernation & update behavior: I tend to hibernate most of the times, never had a problem. Suddenly I kept getting "Your PC needs to be repaired" coming out of hibernation consistently. Regular booting, no problem. Out of curiosity I checked to see if some update had been applied that might have caused...
  8. Unusual Hibernate Wake Behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unusual Hibernate Wake Behavior: Recently i've had some strange issues with my computer waking from hibernate. I'm running a 6600k Gtx 1070 setup. The first time *yesterday* after waking from hibernate my graphics card? or driver did not start up or something. The screen never got a signal and i was forced...
  9. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289
  10. Strange behavior after waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange behavior after waking from hibernate: Lately my computer has been doing strange things after waking from hibernate. The first time 2 days ago after waking from hibernate my monitor did not wake up and just remained a black screen, yet after i restarted the computer it acted as if i had just woken it and the...