Windows 10: Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

Discus and support Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 How to Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 The System unattended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

How to: Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

How to Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

The System unattended sleep timeout power setting is the idle timeout before the system returns to a low power sleep state after waking unattended.

Adjusting the system unattended sleep timeout period can be handy if you had created a task in Task Scheduler to wake up the PC to run something. You could set this timeout to be long enough for the task to have time to finish running before Windows goes back to sleep automatically.

This tutorial will show you how to change the system unattended sleep timeout for how many minutes you want before automatically going back to sleep or hibernation in Windows 10.

*note If the PC wakes up from sleep or hibernate mode and is used by you (no longer idle) during this system unattended sleep timeout period, then Windows will no longer automatically go back to sleep after this timeout period. Instead it will use the time period you set in your Power Plan Settings for Hibernation.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Advanced Power Plan Settings
    • Option Two: To Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Advanced Power Plan Settings

*note The System unattended sleep timeout setting is not shown in Power Options by default.

If you haven't already, an add "System unattended sleep timeout" to Power Options to be able to do this option.

1. Open the power plan.

2. Expand open the Sleep setting, set the System unattended sleep timeout settings to how many minutes you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default time is 2 Minutes.

3. When finished, you can close Power Options if you like.

Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command(s) below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

(On battery)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0 <seconds>

AND/OR

(Plugged in)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20 7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0 <seconds>

*note Substitute <seconds> in the commands above with how many seconds you want for the time.

The amount of seconds you enter will show rounded up or down to the nearest minute in Power Options.

The default time is 120 seconds (2 minutes).

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 13, 2017

2. unattended sleep timeout

I have a question Mr. Deepak. Why did MS remove the system unattended sleep timeout in Windows 10? Many users including myself are having issues where our PC's would go to sleep after only a few minutes. This after setting the sleep settings to much longer
    then that. In my case, after rebooting, the PC would go to sleep after 30 minutes which is what I specified. However, upon wakening the PC it would start to sleep after 3 minutes. This behavior could only be changed after a reboot and then the cycle above
    would repeat.

This site provided the only solution to my problem. He provided a reg file to put back the unattended sleep timeout in the advanced power settings. Once there is showed 2 minutes timeout. I set it to match my regular power and sleep settings for 30 minutes.
    So something else is going very wrong with windows 10 to ignore the regular power and sleep setting and then to default to the unattended sleep timeout which is hidden and not even shown in the advanced power settings. So that is a setup for frustration.
    There is plenty of forums and users that are complaining about the issue. Other then this, my PC has no issues. Device manager is clean with no conflicts. No crashing, blue screens for over a month of use.

Power Options - Add "System unattended sleep timeout" - Windows 7 Help Forums

The above link is the only fix for users on the dreaded pc going to sleep every two minutes regardless of system sleep setting.

HiDesertWA, Oct 26, 2019
  3. unattended sleep timeout

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will assist you with this.

Specifies the duration of inactivity before the system automatically enters sleep after waking from sleep in an unattended state.

For example, if the system wakes from sleep because of a timed event or a wake on LAN (WoL) event, the sleep unattended idle timeout value will be used instead of the

sleep idle timeout
    value.

Hope the information was helpful.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

"System unattended sleep timeout" for windows 10

I tried the 1st one, it didn't work. To stop the unattended sleep timeout I had to put never everywhere instead of hours and it appear to have worked. Thanks, Sam

Samintownsville, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Unable to change windows 10 timeout

Unable to change windows 10 timeout

I have tried all options suggested like;

• changing lock setting in Persoanlize-lock screen-screen save settings- change wait value (doesnt hold value, whatever I set comes back to 2).
    • Changed registry to enable Power Options-Sleep-Sytem unattended sleep timeout , changed it to 60 min
    • Changed registry to enable Power Options-Display-Console lock display off timeout , changed it to 60 min
    • System file checker tool didnt find any correct/missing files "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us"
    None of the options work, after 2 minutes my computer locks. Is there any way out of this nightmare or should I switch to older windows?

B Prakash 0626, Oct 26, 2019
  6. kylecold Win User
    unattended sleep timeout

what is unattended sleep timeout? i just want a simple definition. nothing more please. its not causing a problem, i just like to know what stuff does.

kylecold, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

1. Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change System Unattended

2. Installing Windows 11 with unattend file to change "system locale"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 with unattend file to change "system locale": Hi,I am trying to boot and install windows 11 22H2 Download Windows 11 microsoft.com with unattend file to change the laguage for non-unicode programs to CroatianHrvatskihr-HRThis is how the xml file looks like <settings pass="windowsPE"> <SetupUILanguage>...
  3. Installing Windows 11 with unattend file to change "system locale"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 with unattend file to change "system locale": Hi,I am trying to boot and install windows 11 22H2 Download Windows 11 microsoft.com with unattend file to change the laguage for non-unicode programs to CroatianHrvatskihr-HRThis is how the xml file looks like <settings pass="windowsPE"> <SetupUILanguage>...
  4. display sleep timeout suddenly changed

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    display sleep timeout suddenly changed: This evening my screens went to sleep several times and when I checked in the settings it had been set to 1 minute. I'm the only one using this computer and this setting is normally at 15-20 minutes, I can't remember exactly but definitely not 1 minute. How on earth could...
  5. display sleep timeout suddenly changed

in Windows 10 Support
    display sleep timeout suddenly changed: This evening my screens went to sleep several times and when I checked in the settings it had been set to 1 minute. I'm the only one using this computer and this setting is normally at 15-20 minutes, I can't remember exactly but definitely not 1 minute. How on earth could...
  6. How to access system unattended sleep timeout- it is greyed out (I have admin privileges)...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access system unattended sleep timeout- it is greyed out (I have admin privileges)...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nonameklingonn [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g2zvcc/how_to_access_system_unattended_sleep_timeout_it/
  7. Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Workaround For "Unattended Wakeup" Sleep Timeout Bug Now Also Bugged: There has been a bug in Windows sleep that has existed in both Windows 10 and in previous versions. When Windows wakes from sleep, on some machines it sees the wake event as a remote wakeup event. The result is that the normal power settings are completely ignored, and a...
  8. screen timeout/sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen timeout/sleep: my Acer is scheduled to go to sleep after 3 hours of away time (when plugged in) but goes to sleep after only a couple minutes. It is driving me crazy! does anyone know what setting I may need to adjust?...
  9. Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ?: - Unattended Sleep Timeout key (introduced with Vista). Since the default timeout is 120 seconds, I changed that to prevent the PC from returning to Standby when it's running unattended overnight AV & MBAM scans. Is this option still available in Win 10? With Win 7 >...
  10. Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add System unattended sleep timeout to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "System unattended sleep timeout" from Power Options in Windows The System unattended sleep timeout power setting is the idle timeout before the system returns to a low power...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do you change amount of time computer will stay idel till locks on windows 10