Windows 10: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

Discus and support Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows How to Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows If your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by vulcons38, Jul 8, 2018.

1. vulcons38 Win User

Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

How to: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

How to Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

If your Windows device has a hardware keyboard, you can change the character repeat delay and rate for when you press and hold down a key.

The repeat delay is the pause between pressing a key and when it starts repeating.

The repeat rate is the speed at which it repeats.

This tutorial will show you how to change the keyboard character repeat delay and rate for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Keyboard Properties
    • Option Two: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Keyboard Properties
    • Option Three: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Registry Editor
    • Option Four: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Keyboard Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Keyboard icon, and close the Control Panel if you like.

2. In the Speed tab, adjust the Repeat delay slider to be long or short for what you want, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The slider position in the screenshot below is the default setting.

3. Use the Click here and hold down a key to test repeat rate field to test the repeat delay and rate to see if it's what you want. If it's not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it is.

4. When finished, click/tap on OK.

Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Keyboard Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Keyboard icon, and close the Control Panel if you like.

2. In the Speed tab, adjust the Repeat rate slider to be slow or fast for what you want, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The slider position in the screenshot below is the default setting.

3. Use the Click here and hold down a key to test repeat rate field to test the repeat delay and rate to see if it's what you want. If it's not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it is.

4. When finished, click/tap on OK.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

3. In the right pane of the Keyboard key, double click/tap on the KeyboardDelay string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 3 (long) and 0 (short) (3, 2, 1, 0) for the repeat delay you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default repeat delay is 1.

5. sign in to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

3. In the right pane of the Keyboard key, double click/tap on the KeyboardSpeed string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 0 (slow) and 31 (fast) for the repeat rate you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default repeat rate is 31.

5. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

vulcons38, Jul 8, 2018

2. Keyboard No Longer Repeating Characters

With the Windows 10 update, I can no longer get characters to repeat on my HP wireless keyboard. I go to the keyboard properties and it shows repeat delay, repeat rate and cursor blink. The repeat rate does not change anything but the cursor blink rate
    does. I have tried changing the setting and applying them but nothing changes, I only get one character for each press of the key.

ChristyAKroyer, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed

Hi Krishnan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I uninstalled the keyboard and mouse drivers as you recommended, then restarted, but the keyboard repeat rate is still slow and I cannot change it with keyboard settings. Any other suggestions? Many thanks. Joe

JosephBrunner41, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

Keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed

Hi Joseph,

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the keyboard driver. Follow the steps to uninstall & reinstall the keyboard driver from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X from the
      Keyboard
      and click on Device Manager.

• In Device Manager, double click on the
      Keyboard.

• It will show you the device driver name, select that device and then right click on it.

• Click on Uninstall button.

• Restart the computer, the drivers will get automatically installed on your Windows 10.

• Repeat the same for Mice and other pointing devices.

Hope it helps.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Keyboard No Longer Repeating Characters

Hi Christy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

You can connect some other keyboard and check if it’s working fine.

Also, check if the character repeats in onscreen keyboard.

• Click Windows key + R and type "osk".
    Open a Notepad file. Check if the character repeats when you press and hold any key.

I suggest you to download the latest keyboard drivers and check if it’s working fine.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Win 10, I'm unable to change my keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed.

JosephBrunner41, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

1. Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Keyboard Character

2. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay: Whenever I hold Backspace on my keyboard, the speed rate of my keyboard increases. It seems to have gone faster than the maximum you could change it to in the settings. Whenever I hold a key, take "W" for an example, it works fine. However, when I hold down backspace to...
  3. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay: Whenever I hold Backspace on my keyboard, the speed rate of my keyboard increases. It seems to have gone faster than the maximum you could change it to in the settings. Whenever I hold a key, take "W" for an example, it works fine. However, when I hold down backspace to...
  4. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard repeat delay not changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard repeat delay not changing: After I installed a new update for windows 11, I noticed that my characters start to repeat after like under half a second and it is really annoying when typing because it usually starts to repeat after half a second. The keyboard character repeat in control panel does not...
  6. Keyboard repeat delay not changing

Keyboard repeat delay not changing: After I installed a new update for windows 11, I noticed that my characters start to repeat after like under half a second and it is really annoying when typing because it usually starts to repeat after half a second. The keyboard character repeat in control panel does not...
  7. Keyboard repeat rate automatically changes

Keyboard repeat rate automatically changes: I am using windows 10 home 20h2 version . I have having a bug .My keyboard repeat rate automatically changes while I am working in my task . When I restart my laptop ,again it goes to its default setting . I have to restart laptop again and again.This issue is coming in from...
  8. Keyboard repeat rate and delay reset after hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard repeat rate and delay reset after hibernation: This problem is found multiple times without resolution and all threads are locked without solution. This seems to happen mostly on Lenovo laptops. The solution is simple. Create a task in Task scheduler that is triggered atopen session. Make sure to uncheck the Only...
  9. Keyboard repeat rate and delay resets after hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard repeat rate and delay resets after hibernation: This problem is found multiple times without resolution and all threads are locked without solution. This seems to happen mostly on Lenovo laptops. The solution is simple. Create a task in Task scheduler that is triggered at open session. Make sure to uncheck the Only...
  10. How to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 allows you to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay. These terms are inter-related. When you make active, any text field or an editor and, press and hold a single character key, it will immediately type the [...] This post How to set the...