Windows 10: Open Control Panel in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Control Panel in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Control Panel in Windows 10 How to Open the Control Panel in Windows 10 You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by elbmek, Aug 2, 2015.

1. elbmek Win User

Open Control Panel in Windows 10

How to: Open Control Panel in Windows 10

How to Open the Control Panel in Windows 10

You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use them to set up Windows so that it's just right for you.

In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. Most of the settings that you'll want to change can be found in the Settings app.

The Control Panel allows you to view and change settings (controls) for Windows via applets.

Settings is a modern touch friendly version of the Control Panel that will eventually replace the Control Panel in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to open the Control Panel in Windows 10, and to change it to display with the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Control Panel in Large icons, Small icons, or Category view

Open Control Panel in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Control Panel from Start menu All Apps
    1. Open All Apps in the Start menu *Start. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Windows System folder to expand it open.

3. Click/tap on Control Panel.

4. Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Control Panel from Full Screen Start menu All Apps
    1. Open the full screen Start menu *Start. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the All Apps icon at the top left.

3. Click/tap on the Windows System folder to expand it open.

4. Click/tap on Control Panel.

5. Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Control Panel from Search
    1. Open Search (Win+S) or the Start menu *Start .

2. Type Control Panel into the search box.

3. When Control Panel is found and selected in the top left pane, either press Enter or click/tap on Open in the right pane.

4. Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Control Panel from Run
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run.

2. Type control into the Run dialog box, and either click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3. Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

OPTION FIVE [/i] Open Control Panel from File Explorer Address Bar
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on the first arrow on the left side in the address bar. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Control Panel in the drop menu.

OPTION SIX [/i] Open Control Panel from File Explorer Navigation Pane
    *note This option is only available if you turned on Show all folders for the navigation pane in File Explorer.
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Click/tap on Control Panel in the navigation pane.

3. Select to view the Control Panel in either the Category, Large icons, or Small icons view.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] Open Control Panel from Command Prompt or PowerShell
    1. Open a PowerShell console window.

2. Type control into the console window, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

elbmek, Aug 2, 2015
  2. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 2, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Elbmek,

What you mean??

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  5. elbmek Win User
    it always open in categories instead of small icons which I had set.

Incidently, I have placed control panel shortcut on desktop, the facility was in settings

elbmek, Aug 2, 2015
  6. elbmek Win User
    Its ok now brink, since I put the panel icon on the desktop, its begun to function as per settings *Smile

elbmek, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Elbmek. *Party

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Kalvcivs Win User

is there any way to return windows update icon to control panel in windows 10 pro x64

Kalvcivs, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry, but no. It's been deprecated. *Sad

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  10. allanh Win User
    None of the above three options work on my PC (updated to Windows 10 a week ago). 'Control panel', 'system icons', etc. do not appear under 'This PC' (or anywhere else, as far as I can tell) - is there some setting that would give a more detailed view?

Perhaps the above options only work on the 'Pro' versions of Windows 10, not the 'home' versions. Currently, it is very frustrating to use the updated PC, as all the options that were at my fingertips in W7 appear to have vanished into thin air in W10.

allanh, Aug 26, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Allan, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The Control Panel is available in all editions of Windows 10. Please post screenshots showing what you see instead of what's in the tutorial to see if it may reveal anything.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  12. allanh Win User
    I found Control Panel when a back arrow appeared deep in 'settings' that said "<- Control Panel"! Very strange.

In fact, it turns out that I just have to RIGHT-click on the Windows motif (bottom-left) to get the full list of options, including 'Control Panel', 'Task Manager', 'Run', etc.

allanh, Aug 26, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news Allan. *Smile

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  14. ssuark Win User
    Yep same with me. NONE of those options are either available and/or do not work. Quite frankly, nothing has worked properly since installing Windows 10 and I deeply regret doing so. Never been so frustrated in my life. Brand new printer was working, now won't. Computer even freezes while on the internet (and no, it is not my ISP). I got to this forum trying to fix my now, brand new, perfectly defunct printer which cannot communicate with the computer since installing Windows 10. Nightmare. To boot, cannot even FIND the control panel.

ssuark, Oct 11, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Open Control Panel in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Control Panel

2. Control Panel not openning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel not openning: Hello i can't open cotrol paneli have this errorException EAccessViolation in module UninistallExplorer.dll at 02D36EB0Access violation at 02D37EB0. write of address 02D37EB0...
  3. Control Panel not openning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Control Panel not openning: Hello i can't open cotrol paneli have this errorException EAccessViolation in module UninistallExplorer.dll at 02D36EB0Access violation at 02D37EB0. write of address 02D37EB0...
  4. Control Panel not openning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.: I can't open Control PanelWhen i try open Control Panel, windows show this error message:We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'. To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.and link of Learn more is not working...
  6. error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.

error when open control panel: We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'.: I can't open Control PanelWhen i try open Control Panel, windows show this error message:We can't open 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items'. To help keep your data safe, the location is blocked.and link of Learn more is not working...
  7. Control Panel will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel will not open: Hey there, I cannot open my control panel. I go to Start and click, input "Control Panel" in the search box. The Control Panel Icon appears in the "Best Match" column and in the right hand pane next to it. Nothing happens when the icon is selected though. When I hover over...
  8. Control Panel will not open

Control Panel will not open: Hey there, I cannot open my control panel. I go to Start and click, input "Control Panel" in the search box. The Control Panel Icon appears in the "Best Match" column and in the right hand pane next to it. Nothing happens when the icon is selected though. When I hover over...
  9. Control Panel not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel not opening: I recently updated my preview build to 22h22262.586 and ever since then control panel isnt opening, even if i click uninstall on a program which opens control panel isnt working. only way to open control panel is to go to "C:\Windows\System32\appwiz.cpl".PLS HELP, i dont want...
  10. Control Panel not opening

Control Panel not opening: I recently updated my preview build to 22h22262.586 and ever since then control panel isnt opening, even if i click uninstall on a program which opens control panel isnt working. only way to open control panel is to go to "C:\Windows\System32\appwiz.cpl".PLS HELP, i dont want...