Windows 10: Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows

Discus and support Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows How to Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows The cursor is that blinking line at the end of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows

How to: Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows

How to Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows

The cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing in Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to change the text cursor blink rate to what you want for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Keyboard Properties
    • Option Two: To Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Keyboard Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Keyboard icon, and close the Control Panel if you like.

2. In the Speed tab, adjust the Cursor blink rate slider for the blink rate you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the CursorBlinkRate string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 200 (faster) and 1200 (slower) milliseconds for the cursor blink rate you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note 530 is the default cursor blink rate.

Typing -1 will set the cursor blink rate to none to have the cursor no longer blink.

5. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 20, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Cursor stops blinking

Hello Don, *Smile

You might check and/or adjust the cursor blink rate using an option in the tutorial below to see if that may toggle it to work properly again.

*Arrow Change Cursor Blink Rate in Windows

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Fast blinking cursor

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that the cursor blinking constantly on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if the Cursor blink rate is set to Fast.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it sets the Cursor blink rate to normal. Here's how:

1. Open Control Panel by right click on
    Start
    Button.

2. Change the view by option on the top right to
    Large icons.

3. Click on Keyboard, Keyboard Properties window opens, set the
    Cursor blink rate as you wish.

4. Click on Apply and OK, check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Oct 26, 2019
  4. #......# Win User

Text cursor stops blinking after a few seconds

In most of the applications the text cursor stops blinking after a few seconds. The time, after it stops depends on the application.

In Start Menu, when you type "Change cursor blink rate", the "Keyboard properties" settings dialogue appears. In this dialogue I have the "Cursor blink rate" set to default. I did not change it since Windows installation. With these settings I got the following
    results.

[table][tr][td]Notepad[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Windows Explorer[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Total Commander[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Microsoft Office 2016[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 30-32 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Microsoft Edge, inside Google search box[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 10-11 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Microsoft Edge, inside URL bar[/td][td]Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.[/td][/tr][tr][td]Firefox (in URL bar, also inside web pages)[/td][td]The cursor did not stop after 50 blinks. Seems to work OK.[/td][/tr][/table]

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise, Version: 1709, OS Build: 16299.431.

Please fix this bug. The text cursor should blink contantly.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

#......#, Oct 26, 2019
  5. mommacass Win User
    Cursor blink rate

Hello. Just got a new Nokia Microsoft phone. I have optical epilepsy and I thought this would solve

my problem, but there is no place to change the cursor blink rate to stop blinking.

If you could feel how sick it makes me just trying to txt, I just want to use a phone like a normal

person.

Microsoft, I am in tears. What are people like me supposed to do?

If anyone can help me I would be grateful. Thank you.

Moved from: Windows 8 - Accessibility & ease of access

mommacass, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Text Cursor Blink on Windows 10

Hello Adam,

A quick question before we proceed:

What do you mean when you say “why does is there a pop up try suggesting me other posts when I know my question hasn't been asked?”

While typing you can hide the pointer. You may follow the steps below for the same:

• Go to settings and click on Devices.

• Click on Mouse and touchpad and select pointer options.

• Now check the box for Hide pointer while typing.

Please be informed that there is no such option to set the blink slower and change the color of your cursor.

I suggest you to provide your suggestions and feedbacks in the dedicated Feedback App. Follow these steps to provide suggestions in Windows Feedback App.

At any time, select Start, and then type
    Windows Feedback to send us your opinions and suggestions.
    Windows Feedback is only available if you have
    Diagnostic and usage data set to
    Full (Full is the recommended setting).

To change the Diagnostic and usage data setting, go to
    Start , then select Settings > Privacy > Feedback & diagnostics, and then, under
    Diagnostic and usage data, select an option.

If you have any other queries related to windows 10 we would be happy to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Text Cursor Blink Rate in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Text Cursor

2. How to change Text Caret Cursor Blink Timeout in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Text Caret Cursor Blink Timeout in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In Windows 11 or Windows 10 operating system, the text cursor is that blinking line at the end of what you are typing. Caret Timeout (default is 5000 milliseconds or 5 seconds) is the time in milliseconds that the text cursor will continue to blink before it...
  3. Blinking cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blinking cursor: I have Win 10 operating system. Recently the cursor has blinked constantly. I have also gotten a message that my operating system is nearing the end of its life. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blinking-cursor/1ad4f7f8-bdde-4626-84d2-01e1e5aed3cb
  4. Cursor blink rate of none breaks task bar notifications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor blink rate of none breaks task bar notifications: In Keyboard Properties, set the Cursor blink rate to None. In order for the setting to take affect, you must restart your computer or restart Windows Explorer in the Task Manager when you have a folder open. Now make an application issue a notification such as new chat...
  5. Typing and Text Blinking Cursor are Bound to mouse Cursor and moves and will not move when...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Typing and Text Blinking Cursor are Bound to mouse Cursor and moves and will not move when...: Hello Everyone, So this stemmed from another thread but It's it own question. Their's was involving touch screen problems I don't own a touch screen at all, not using any touch screen drivers or monitor to my knowledge. I'm a bit paranoid and I know I can uninstall drivers...
  6. Cursor blinks

in Windows 10 Support
    Cursor blinks: Cursor blinks about 3 times then stops with Notepad2 and Textpad. Excel and Word ok. Don Cole 123457
  7. blinking cursor

blinking cursor: I have 2 cursors. The one on the task bar is in a translucent circle and is blinking. The real one is blinking also and is hard to control. How do I fix this. I have an HP Pavilon Notebook and Windows 10. Thank you in advance....
  8. cursor blinking

cursor blinking: hey there , i'm facing problems with my pc when playing games , the screen just turns black while the cursor wil be blinking ! i updated my graphic drivers but the issue is stil there...how do i solve it...
  9. Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor/Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...
  10. Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot

Blinking Cursor, Blinking underscore in boot: Hi Guys, I recently have a problem when i opened my PC. It started to show blinking underscore so i decided to push my restart button in my hardware and gladly it opened but the next day when i opened my pc, there is a blinking underscore present in the screen before logging...