Windows 10: Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10 How to Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

How to: Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

How to Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you have more than one operating system installed on your PC, then you will see a Choose an operation system (Windows Boot Manager) screen at startup with the name (description) of each installed OS on your PC listed.

This tutorial will show you how to change the name of an operating system listed on the Choose an operation system screen at startup in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the name of an operating system.

EXAMPLE: Operating system name on "Choose an operation system" at startup

Here's How:

1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type bcdedit in the command prompt, and press Enter.

3. Under each Windows Boot Loader section, look for the OS description (ex: Windows 10) you want to change the name of, and make note of its identifier (ex: {current}). (see screenshot below)

4. Type the command below in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow bcdedit /set {identifier} description "new name"

Note Substitute identifier in the command above with the actual identifier (ex: {current}) from step 3 of the OS (ex: Windows 10) you want to rename.

Substitute new name in the command above with the description (ex: Windows 10 Pro) you want for the OS.

For example: bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows 10 Pro"

5. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 9, 2016

2. Changing the name on the WELCOME screen at startup in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern we will assist you with it.

I would suggest you to login in Microsoft account to change the name on welcome screen. In order to change the name refer the step given in below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-the-name-on-your-microsoft-account

(also applies to windows 10)

Note: After performing the steps I suggest you to restart the system in order to change the name on welcome screen.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Changing the name on the WELCOME screen at startup in Windows 10

I have followed your link but it still will not change the name. So if anyone can help please send us in the right direction. Remember it is for Windows 10.

David and Janet 1, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

How do I change the "chose an Operating System" on startup in Windows 10

Hi,

Nice to meet you!

You may refer to instructions below: (Click
    here
    to view details)

• Open System by clicking the Start button
      , clicking Control
      Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

• Click Advanced System Settings.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation,
      type the password or provide confirmation.

• Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

• Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to use when you turn on or restart your computer.
    Thank You!

Winston_Lai, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Oct 26, 2019
  6. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10

1. Change Operating System Name at Startup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Operating System

2. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen and operating system not booted on startup: This morning I tried to turn on my laptop but when i pressed the power button it would turn on the keyboard backlight and other such lights but the screen is black and a graphics driver restart does not make any sound which leads me to believe the operating system is not even...
  3. Black screen and operating system not booted on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and operating system not booted on startup: This morning I tried to turn on my laptop but when i pressed the power button it would turn on the keyboard backlight and other such lights but the screen is black and a graphics driver restart does not make any sound which leads me to believe the operating system is not even...
  4. Choose operating system prompt in Windows 10 startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Choose operating system prompt in Windows 10 startup: I keep getting a prompt on start up to choose an operating system in Windows 10. How do I change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choose-operating-system-prompt-in-windows-10/dabe02f1-c363-41af-8878-5a72ea4d598d
  5. Operating system not found at startup.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Operating system not found at startup.: No problem I will just reset this pc so I can keep my files right? Apparently not. When I try to do anything in troubleshooting it asks me to log in to my admin account. Password incorrect. I must've forgotten my password. Reset it and try again, password incorrect. Repeat 3...
  6. Changing operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing operating system: I have a dell latitude e6500 running Windows 10 i demolished the OS by deleting a bunch of system32 files,. .NET_Microsost, anyway the point is i cant fix this operating system no matter what. My question is if i install Ubuntu on my phones sd card can i put it in my laptop...
  7. Changing the operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing the operating system: After I install windows 10 many parts in my laptop have broken [dongle, web camera , key board etc]. Now my laptop got automatic repair loop that cannot be stoppable. Only thing I want is a method to buy a genuine product key for windows 7. Can you mention a method to buy it...
  8. How to Change Operating system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Change Operating system: How to Change Window Phone, Window Operating system into Android operating System. Phone (Microsoft Lumia 640 xl Dual Sim) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-operating-system/55af8dba-f940-4e95-bb93-d8470e599967
  9. Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 How to Choose a Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have more than one operating system installed on your PC, then you will have 30 seconds by default...
  10. Change Time to Display Operating Systems at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Time to Display Operating Systems at Startup in Windows 10: How to: Change Time to Display Operating Systems at Startup in Windows 10 How to Change Time to Display List of Operating Systems at Startup in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have more than one operating system installed on your PC, then you will have 30 seconds...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change startup name windows 10 pro