Windows 10: Changing Administrator Account

Discus and support Changing Administrator Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a new laptop last year while I was teaching at a university. I initially set up my administrator account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Thomas Irelan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Changing Administrator Account

I have a bit of a dilemma. I purchased a new laptop last year while I was teaching at a university. I initially set up my administrator account through my university account since it used Office 365. I subsequently left the university and, since I had been using a PIN to log onto my laptop, forgot that I had been using this account as my administrator account. Once I realised this and tried to rectify it, I had forgotten my password. I have been stuck with this as my administrator account. I am now teaching an online course at my previous university, so I thought I would have an opportunity to finally switch my administrator account to a personal Microsoft account. However, in signing into my university account, I now have two accounts at this email address. One is a university account and one is personal (the original account that serves as my administrator account).

It's a bit of a mess, but something I would like to resolve before the end of the year and I lose access to my account again. I would like to switch my administrator account to a personal one and keep all of the settings, etc. that I use now.

Thanks for your help!

:)

Thomas Irelan, Aug 12, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

How do you change a user account to an administrator account in Windows 10?

Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to go to control panel and check your user account status. Right click on the start button and select control panel in the menu. In the control panel, click on the 'view by' option in the top right and select 'large icons'. Now, click
    on 'User accounts' and check if your account is listed as Administrator. If it is not displayed as Admin account, click on the option 'Change user account type' and select 'Administrator' and apply changes. Try these steps and let us know the results. If you
    have already tried, please let us know what all troubleshooting steps you have tried so far, so that we can provided you suggestion accordingly.

Arul_D, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

4. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Changing Administrator Account

Change local account into administrator

Hi Ankit,

We appreciate you for providing these necessary information. We have another way on how to change your local account user into administrator account. Please follow the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family & other people.
    • Under Other people, select the user account, and click
      Change account type
    • Under Account type, select Administrator from the drop down menu.
    • Click OK to complete the task.

Note: If you are using an Administrator account, you could use the same instructions to change the type to a Standard User account.

Let us know in case you encounter an issue while following the steps provided.

Ryan Mon1, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Changing Administrator Account

1. Changing Administrator Account - Similar Threads - Changing Administrator Account

2. changing standard account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing standard account to administrator account: by mistakely I have changed administrator account to standard account please help me to solve problem I cant finding any solutions for this...
  3. How to change the user account to the administrator account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change the user account to the administrator account?: I want to change the user account to the administrator account because I lost the password to the old administrator account. Is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-user-account-to-the/c2c96a22-4676-4557-b1ce-920070c4442c"
  4. Cant change to administrator account.

Cant change to administrator account.: I have seen many solutions of how to fix this problem, but when i right click on the start menu it doesn't have a option for command prompt. I have also tried to do it in the troubleshoot and i can use command prompt as administrator and use the code "net user administrator...
  5. How to change Administrator Account

How to change Administrator Account: Greetings! A former boyfriend made himself administrator on my laptop. We been separated almost 3years and I want to remove him as administrator. The problem is my laptop is not allowing me too. He has a folder on the laptop I cannot access and cannot trash. It's annoying....
  6. Change from standard account to administrator account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change from standard account to administrator account: I was setting on my admin account to stardard account. Now I cannot install any program.. I don't have full control to my pc. Please tell me how to change back to orginal setting....
  7. Change original administrator account

Change original administrator account: I would like to know WHY the original administrator account can not be changed. Add another administrator account is NOT ENOUGH. For security reasons I urgently need to change this, but as I have been reading, it is, by design, not possible. For all I can see this is some...
  8. Change original administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change original administrator account: I have purchased a used Asus laptop that already has Win 10 installed on it from the original owner. All of the settings on the computer are linked to that owner's Microsoft account and administrator account. Is there a way for me to change the administrator information to my...
  9. Change to a New Administrator Account

Change to a New Administrator Account: I have purchased a laptop from a friend. Just prior to my purchase Windows 10 got loaded. The compter has one account which is an administrator account. I think that the same account information is used as a login to Microsoft. I would like to remove the account and...
  10. Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account: My wife has upgraded to Windows 10 and was using her login details with no problem. When she needed to install a HP Printer Driver, a Microsoft Account was asked for. She couldn't remember her details so we used mine. Now there is an Administrator account under my name...