Windows 10: Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added

Discus and support Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just as the title says, the Chrome shortcut isn't staying pinned to the taskbar. Something of note is that upon logging in, it's there for a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Reznos, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Reznos Win User

Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added

Just as the title says, the Chrome shortcut isn't staying pinned to the taskbar. Something of note is that upon logging in, it's there for a few moments, only to remove itself. It's also reappearing on the Recently Added list in the start menu upon startup, even though I've removed it from that list. I've tried a clean uninstall/reinstall, and even made sure that the shortcut was placed in C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar, but that still hasn't fixed the issue. Nothing in Event Viewer shows anything relevant to the situation.

:)

Reznos, Mar 10, 2017

2. pinning link to a google page onto taskbar in windows 10

here's what worked for me:

I opened the page that I want to pin on Chrome on three tabs. I closed two tabs. I right-click the Chrome icon on the task bar, and the link should show up under recently closed. Then I just click the Pin icon. Of course, this would still show the Chrome
    icon on the taskbar.

41b7e499-3b9f-4586-8870-39e442f06dde, Mar 10, 2017
  3. #MikeF Win User
    How to launch an installed app outside of Store

Sorry, Windows Scan doesn't appear under Recently Added Programs. And if I search for "windows scan" with Cortana, the results list contains one entry that just points to the Store and the other entries don't allow a right click at all.

#MikeF, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added

Hi Reznos.

What happens if you try to pin another app to taskbar, does it stick?

Not sure if you have tried this tool or not but is a cleanup tool by Google for Chrome?

Chrome Cleanup Tool

Do you have any software installed to customize desktop or start menu, like Classic Shell?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Reznos Win User
    Just tested another app. That stays on the taskbar upon reboot, but Chrome still vanishes. Running the Chrome Cleanup Tool shows "No Programs Found," despite having Chrome still installed. I don't have any kind of customization apps like that though.

Reznos, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Reznos, *Smile

You might see if resetting and clearing your taskbar pinned apps using the method in the tutorial below may help if something is corrupted. You will have to pin to taskbar your apps again afterwards though.

Reset and Clear Taskbar Pinned Apps in Windows 10

Brink, Mar 10, 2017
  7. Reznos Win User
    After running the batch file, and re-pinning my apps to the taskbar, a reboot still has Chrome removing itself. It seemed hopeful, since it was there when I first logged in, but then it vanished a few moments later.

Reznos, Mar 10, 2017
  8. Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added

Have you done a scan with another AV tool? (Malwarebytes, HitmanPro)

Could I ask are you signing into chrome. If so could I ask you to log out and try again.

Next, to see if this is windows and chrome or some other app I might suggest a clean boot.

Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Make sure your have a restore point and I would also make sure I had bootable media on hand should something go wrong.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 11, 2017
  9. Reznos Win User
    Alright, I've tried a clean boot, even trying another clean uninstall/reinstall from my admin account. Once again, Chrome is there for a few moments at startup, and then vanishes. Virus/malware scans show nothing.

Reznos, Mar 11, 2017
  10. When you search, this does seem to be an issue but more with their apps than the parent program Chrome. I don't see any other solutions on Google.

Not sure how you feel about this and it doesn't solve your issue but are you game in creating another user just to see if the problem is with your account or your entire Windows installation?

Stretching at straws. Have you reset browser. I know you've uninstalled and re-installed several times but I wonder if there is not some profile information that is being kept and used.

Wish I had better suggestions.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Mar 11, 2017
  11. Reznos Win User
    Okay, so not only have I reset Chrome and signed out, but also uninstalled it again. It remains there on the admin account and the newly created test account. Another interesting thing is that, despite it being uninstalled, it still shows in the start menu as new, as shown in the attachment.

Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added [​IMG]

Reznos, Mar 11, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 11, 2017
  13. dencal Win User

I posted this today in Forum Antivirus, Firewalls and System Security.

Google Chrome users should be on the look-out for a terrifying new scam.
    A malicious application that disguises itself to look like the Google Chrome web browser has been discovered.

Credit Card Stealer Disguises as Google Chrome Browser

dencal, Mar 11, 2017
  14. Reznos Win User
    Brink,
    Google Chrome isn't found in that folder at all.

Reznos, Mar 11, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Be sure to check both the current account and all accounts locations.

Brink, Mar 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Chrome not staying pinned to taskbar, always in Recently Added - Similar Threads - Chrome staying pinned

2. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  3. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  4. Certain apps not staying pinned to the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain apps not staying pinned to the Taskbar: I am having an issue whereby the last few apps I installed in my laptop don't stay pinned to the taskbar anymore. The worst offender is the Windows 10 Twitter app. The others I can live without always being pinned there, but I use Twitter a lot. Basically I pin it to the...
  5. Random items being added + pinned to taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random items being added + pinned to taskbar: Recently received a new Windows 10 laptop for work. When I restart or turn on/off my laptop, sometimes Internet Explorer and a 2nd File Explorer will be pinned to my taskbar. I already have File Explorer pinned (not sure why a separate 2nd one appears) and I thought I...
  6. I can't open Google Chrome, it just stays in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't open Google Chrome, it just stays in the taskbar: I open google chrome and it stays on the taskbar and when I click it doesn't go into full screen its still their because I can see the chrome page when I hover over! Before you ask I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cookies and caches and the issue is only...
  7. Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar

Icon doesn't stay pinned to the TaskBar: I saw threads from 2017 about this and they were closed. I have to say that today everything updated as of the creation of this thread that for instance, Messenger beta pinned to the Taskbar from the Start menu, will be pinned ok but after closing the app, the icon goes away...
  8. Icon staying pinned to taskbar

Icon staying pinned to taskbar: I pin messenger icon to my taskbar - it stays for a couple of hours then disappears. How do I get it to stay? I have clicked pin to taskbar and it stays then goes. I want it to stay...
  9. Performance of Pinned Chrome Icon in Taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Performance of Pinned Chrome Icon in Taskbar: I just reinstalled Windows 10, and Chrome's behavior has changed. Previously, when I clicked on the pinned Chrome icon in the taskbar and a Chrome tab opened, the original pinned icon was the only Chrome icon on the taskbar; and if I clicked on that original icon, I returned...
  10. Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome won't launch when pinned to taskbar: Hello I have chrome pinned to the task bar but it won't simply launch the application like it does with all the my other icons. I have to keep right clicking it and then choosing chrome within the menu - kinda annoying. Is there a way to change this behaviour so it will...