Windows 10: Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt"

Discus and support Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I updated to the CU over a week ago, and I noticed an odd change. The "Open command prompt here" option in the shift+right-click context menu has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GuyInDogSuit, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt"

So I updated to the CU over a week ago, and I noticed an odd change. The "Open command prompt here" option in the shift+right-click context menu has been replaced by "Open Windows Powershell here" instead. Powershell does not work with the apps I use (for example, an RPA extractor, Powershell just gives an error). How do I revert this change?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 18, 2017

2. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Apr 18, 2017
  3. moo09 Win User
    N79; can't run " home media " menu

I'm in Thailand . I just buy N79 , but I have found my phone can run " home media " menu. When I go to " home media " menu it's push back to "connectivity" menu .

When I go to Nokia Care center . They said All N79 was bug as this. Wait to upgrade firmware as now it's already new as 10.046

Please share information with me

moo09, Apr 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt"

It's changed from Command Prompt to Powershell on a right-click on Start too. There's a switch for 'replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell...' in:
    Settings > Personalization > Taskbar

The switch has always been there, the default setting changed for the Creators Update. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to change the context menu. *Sad

5. ChuckHL Win User
    I thought about telling him that, but the setting you are talking about its when pressing Windows X or right clicking the start menu. He is talking about context menu.

ChuckHL, Apr 18, 2017
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Read this tutorial and it shows you how, step by step *Smile
    Show Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell on Win+X menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

OldMike65, Apr 18, 2017
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Did you try rebooting after making the change?

OldMike65, Apr 18, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Yes, it doesn't change that - I've edited my post to say so.

9. OldMike65 Win User
    There is also a way to change it using your registry, Brink posted 2 different methods ....I posted the link a couple msgs back

OldMike65, Apr 18, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, Apr 18, 2017
  12. Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks, I will try that and report back.

EDIT: It worked! No need to reboot, either. Funny that the Powershell option is still there, but meh.

GuyInDogSuit, Apr 18, 2017
  13. Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt"

So, all I have to do to get a context menu command prompt that correctly runs commands which produce utf8 output is to edit the registry? Thanks, Microsoft!

Freonpsandoz, Sep 3, 2017
  14. I didn't install anything. It just appeared in the context menu when I shift + right-clicked on my desktop.
    A temporary fix would be to type "cd Desktop", of course, "Desktop" can be changed to whichever directory you need.

voidonline, Oct 6, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    You can simply type cmd from powershell to jump to the old style command prompt.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Context menu now has "Powershell" instead of "Command Prompt" - Similar Threads - Context menu has

2. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  3. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  4. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items

in Windows 10 News
    Add Open Windows Terminal in Command Prompt, PowerShell profile context menu items: Windows Terminal can let you open multiple Command Prompt, Windows PowerShell, etc., tabs in one window, and you can open it from the right-click context menu. However, as the default option opens the default startup profile, you can add an expandable menu to open any profile...
  6. Context Menu Command Prompt and AppliesTo Registry String

Context Menu Command Prompt and AppliesTo Registry String: Please see the last three or four threads in: Add or Remove Command Prompt Open Here Context Menu in Windows 10 as they have pictures. I want to add Command Prompt to the right click menu and to show up on Folder Right-Clicks and Folder Backgrounds. Problem is, the registry...
  7. Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...: ... as the post title. My search here only found a tutorial for a 'standard' command prompt. -thx 167608
  8. Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu

Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu: After the installation of the latest windows 10 update, I was very annoyed my "Command Prompt Here" has disappeared again from the right mouse button menu, after I took a lot of effort to restore it. Windows Powershell is not an option for me, as it wreaks havoc on...
  9. Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell"

Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell": Hi! I'm using Windows 10 version 1807, In this version, the option "Open in Command Prompt" fully removed from Explorer, in "File" menu and [Shift]+[Right Click] menu, And there's no option to get it back in Settings, only there's an option for [Alt]+[X] menu. I have to...
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838

Users found this page by searching for:

1. command window has .... instead of >

2. how can i change cmd on context menu instead of powershell